Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English speakers?

English speakers?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

English speakers?

Postby Ragevx1 » Sun 08.10.2008 9:09 pm

Yeah, might have been asked before... not that I've seen (yet)... do people in Japan speak english? Fluent? A handful? or do they just speak japanese there?
Ragevx1
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed 07.30.2008 12:30 pm

Re: English speakers?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.10.2008 9:12 pm

The number of fluent English speakers in Japan is very small.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: English speakers?

Postby Ragevx1 » Tue 08.12.2008 8:14 pm

I see, I understand now... I've read like 190 some post from that old thread... sounds interesting, and more motivating to learn japanese and maybe visit some day.
Ragevx1
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed 07.30.2008 12:30 pm

Re: English speakers?

Postby distantsmoke » Wed 11.19.2008 3:11 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Yeah, might have been asked before... not that I've seen (yet)... do people in Japan speak english? Fluent? A handful? or do they just speak japanese there?


In the area I live (Fussa-shi) most of the people who deal with the public speak English to some degree. Many Americans in the area get by easily without having to learn Japanese.

I went to a local fruit stall to buy some peaches. And proud of my Japanese abilities I said "Momiji arimasu ka?" The lady looked at me and said "Momo?" And I was like, duh. So I nodded and said, "Hai, momo." And I swear to God this lady looked at me and said (and I'm quoting here)" Out of season". In perfect English. How she knew what I meant from what I said is a small miracle.

Why I thought momiji was the word for peach, I don't know. So I bought some beautiful grapes instead.
distantsmoke
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue 04.15.2008 12:02 am

Re: English speakers?

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 12.12.2008 7:52 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:The number of fluent English speakers in Japan is very small.

This is true.
Fluent and even proficient is asking to much. People do tend to know random things, but it's all because of media or words that have some relation to their job or something.
I went to tokyo, there a handful of people will know english well. It's just weird when i speak japanese to them and they speak back to me in broken english. It throws me off every time. :?: :!:
chiisu321
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon 07.17.2006 12:27 pm

Re: English speakers?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.12.2008 9:35 am

chiisu321 wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:The number of fluent English speakers in Japan is very small.

This is true.
Fluent and even proficient is asking to much. People do tend to know random things, but it's all because of media or words that have some relation to their job or something.
I went to tokyo, there a handful of people will know english well. It's just weird when i speak japanese to them and they speak back to me in broken english. It throws me off every time. :?: :!:


You are a foreigner and as such, even when you speak Japanese, they feel you won't understand, so in their best English, they hope you can understand what they say.. It's really not that hard to understand if you look at it from their point of view.. Think about it, how many times has an American talked really slowly to help a foreigner understand? Speaking slow doesn't help at all, but using words you think they understand might..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: English speakers?

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.12.2008 10:20 am

two_heads_talking wrote:Speaking slow doesn't help at all, but using words you think they understand might..

I have to disagree with that particular point. Though speaking ridiculously slow would be counter-productive, if you speak slowly and clearly, it's easier to understand for some one who doesn't know the language well. I purposely do so when I'm speaking to people who don't understand English perfectly, and about 70% of them have actually told me that I'm easier to understand than other English speakers they talk to. And I'm one of the worst people about using simple vocabulary. I probly picked up the habit of using complex vocabulary an attempt to make me seem intelligent, and now it's practically impossible for me to speak for a while without saying something even I would assume they don't understand.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
User avatar
Dehitay
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri 09.08.2006 8:36 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: English speakers?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.12.2008 10:53 am

Dehitay wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:Speaking slow doesn't help at all, but using words you think they understand might..

I have to disagree with that particular point. Though speaking ridiculously slow would be counter-productive, .


That is exactly what I am talking about..
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English


Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests