Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Rap

Rap

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Rap

Postby kurisuto » Sat 12.13.2008 12:30 pm

Hi all,
I'm desperately trying to find good japanese music, particularly *good* rap music. I tried to find some on Youtube, but... well, if they wanna call it rap they can; I sure as hell wouldn't. I love french rap, but if you wanna know what kind of american rap I like most it would be something more like Eminem (and I'm not really speaking about songs like "Without me", not that I don't like it, but that's not my favourite style) than Soulja Boy (I know, it's pretty vague, but since you probably don't know french rap, that would be the best example I can give: Eminem is one of the few american artist whose music sounds more or less like french rap, you know, he's not always talking about guns and hoes, good rhymes, good flow,...).

The subject is "rap", but if you know some good rock bands (or other styles) I'm interested too. So far, I have to say that the only things I like are Sugizo, Shiina Ringo and X-Japan (once again it's vague, especially since these 3 have nothing in common, but since I can't really tell you what I don't like, I figured I'd tell you what I like).

So, if someone knows some good artists/bands, I'm all ears!
kurisuto

Native language: French

Re: Rap

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 12.13.2008 10:32 pm

I'm not a rap fan in particular, but a few years ago a song by Kick the Can Crew called 地球〜ブルーズ〜337 was popular and that seemed like a good rap song to me. Here's a youtube link.

Maybe some others who are more familiar with the genre will have more recommendations.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby kurisuto » Sun 12.14.2008 10:45 am

Thanks! I'm not a big fan, but it was somewhat better than what I remember having listened to!
kurisuto

Postby Sairana » Sun 12.14.2008 4:20 pm

I'm not a big rap fan, either, but from what I can tell from various forum perusals.... Japanese rap is almost all garbage, even according to people who like rap. The only people I can find who do like J-rap are people who are obsessive about Japan in general.

:/ Wish I could be of more help, but eh. You know. :P
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby nukemarine » Sun 12.14.2008 7:32 pm

This guy has thing for Japanese rap (it's fast, so you're forced to up your comprehension speed to know it), so maybe his tastes will mesh with yours

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/bl ... gory/music

Youtube or other sites (www.jpopasia.com for example) or even google video should help from there.
nukemarine

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.16.2008 4:46 pm

I can't stand Japanese Rap. It's just too forced, if you ask me.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby kurisuto » Thu 12.18.2008 8:30 pm

Thanks Nukemarine for the links, and yeah, I woud agree with you Sairana: while I don't want to generalize (yet), so far the only people I know who like J-rap are "J-maniacs" (ok, in a certain way we're all "J-maniacs" in here, but I know what you mean ;D ). And, maybe that's just me, but the Japanese rappers' accent, I don't know, it just doesn't sound Japanese, and they use too much english words (the whole thing sounds more like a bizarre variation of American-English. What's weird is that I could say the same thing about Portuguese rap, whereas French rap is really, I don't know, French-sounding).

But anyways, thank you for your replies.

[edit] Thanks Nukemarine: for the first time I found a good Japanese rap song! すごくうれしいんだよ!!

But if someone knows some other bands (I mean, whose videos I can find), feel free to tell me.

Since you don't know what kind of rap I'd like to find, I figured I'd give a link to a "real" rap song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYg7mg554M

BTW, if you allow me a little digression: It's French rap of course. Even if you probably won't understand what they say, you'll surely like it (you know, since I was born I always listened to rock/metal music, but when I really tried to listen to French rap, I was amazed, so maybe the same will happen to you, I don't know): now, that's flow, that's rhyming. I respect and thank all the American rap pioneers, but virtually all modern American rappers are, well, poor rappers. Here in France, rap isn't about guns, money and hoes. They're not superstars, they are not millionaires. Real lyrics, but above all, they play with the French language. I like poetry and literature: that's why I like French rap.

So I'd be really grateful if you could give me some good "French Japanese" rap bands' names. Thanks!!
kurisuto

Postby diego0528 » Tue 01.06.2009 3:16 am

I like some of j rap groups.

Nobodyknows is good.

http://hopstepjpop14.blog126.fc2.com/blog-entry-15.html
diego0528

Native language: Spanish

Postby Pork Chop » Tue 01.06.2009 5:42 pm

Not sure if they count, but ケツメイシ is one of the few groups that I've found that raps but doesn't sound like they're trying to come off as inner city thugs - they still sound distinctively Japanese and their flow with their beats is still rhythmic.
It's about the only Japanese rap/hip hop that I actually like.
Pork Chop

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.06.2009 5:47 pm

becki_kanou wrote:I'm not a rap fan in particular, but a few years ago a song by Kick the Can Crew called 地球〜ブルーズ〜337 was popular and that seemed like a good rap song to me. Here's a youtube link.

Maybe some others who are more familiar with the genre will have more recommendations.

Ok I watched the video, and the song, wasn't much, but that guy that get's cracked on the head with the bat, He's grabbing the wrong part of himself if his noggin hurts.. lol
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby lastlife » Fri 01.30.2009 2:32 am

THA BLUE HERB

Listen to their first record "STILLING, STILL DREAMING"
No thug gimmicks. Just pure and distinct Japanese hip-hop.

also, DJ Krush has done tracks with Japanese emcee's. Check out the second song from "The Message at the Depth"
lastlife

Postby lastlife » Fri 01.30.2009 2:50 am

Just for fun I'm gonna recommend a band by the name of 54-71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNS15fPaz9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzK1xF2kLQA

Not exactly "hip-hop", but the singer raps in engrish and they've got a sick bassist too.
Definitely out of the ordinary, but maybe something fresh to your ears.
lastlife

Postby kurisuto » Sat 01.31.2009 2:34 pm

Yeah, that's some really good music ! The singer of 54-71 is fun as hell though (great accent :lol: ), but I like it, and great bass I agree. And Tha Blu Herb seems good too (I listened to the live version of "ill-beatnik" : well, my Japanese isn't good enough to understand what he says except a few sentences, but it sounds good, and pretty far from conventional hip hop. I can't seem to find "STILLING, STILL DREAMING" on youtube, but I'll check other sites).

Thanks !
kurisuto

Postby lastlife » Mon 02.02.2009 1:13 am

lastlife

Postby kurisuto » Mon 02.02.2009 2:48 pm

Thanks, you really seem to know a lot of good rappers. I know it's silly, but I thought I would never find rappers who really can manipulate the Japanese language like Western rappers manipulate their languages. Indeed, now I know Japanese just sounds great in hip-hop, when used by real MCs (Boss tha MC is a killer !). Thanks for proving me wrong !
kurisuto

Next

Return to Japanese Movies and Music