Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - a few questions (cell phones and such)

a few questions (cell phones and such)

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: a few questions (cell phones and such)

Postby keatonatron » Wed 12.17.2008 6:20 am

chiisu321 wrote:It's just that since the age of adulthood is 18, it seems to make less sense for you to need to be 20 to sign for your own phone. I am 18, so this erks me a bit.

The age of adulthood in Japan is 20. In the US, you can get a phone at 18.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby chiisu321 » Wed 12.17.2008 6:59 am

keatonatron wrote:
chiisu321 wrote:It's just that since the age of adulthood is 18, it seems to make less sense for you to need to be 20 to sign for your own phone. I am 18, so this erks me a bit.

The age of adulthood in Japan is 20. In the US, you can get a phone at 18.

Then i guess i was misinformed, or maybe i assumed something. I was told by my school mates that the age of adulthood was 18, BUT you still cant buy a phone or drink. You can just smoke. (not that anyone is waiting til they're 18, it seems)
maybe i just assumed that it was adulthood based on the conversation.

i bought all 4 of my phones (except the sprint phone) in the US when i was 16- 17, but i did it all online and i have a credit card XD that was back when i used verizon.....and a job to pay the bill
chiisu321

Postby Pork Chop » Wed 12.17.2008 12:17 pm

chiisu321 wrote:Skype is another option i considered, but because of the time difference im afraid i would disturb too many people at night while i try to speak into my laptop built in microphone. Talking into a phone reciever would at least let me speak more quietly. But, still Skype is another option. :) it's free too ^^

You should still have mic & headphone ports on that laptop.
A good microphone headset should be cheaper than a cell phone.
I think they make wireless ones now too.
Pork Chop

Postby chiisu321 » Thu 12.18.2008 9:33 am

Pork Chop wrote:
chiisu321 wrote:Skype is another option i considered, but because of the time difference im afraid i would disturb too many people at night while i try to speak into my laptop built in microphone. Talking into a phone reciever would at least let me speak more quietly. But, still Skype is another option. :) it's free too ^^

i've never seen a wireless one :o but then i could walk around and talk....what a good idea haha. :D
technology these days, has an answer for everything haha. I think i will
chiisu321

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.18.2008 9:42 am

chiisu321 wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:

i've never seen a wireless one :o but then i could walk around and talk....what a good idea haha. :D
technology these days, has an answer for everything haha. I think i will

You've never seen a wireless headset? And you are 18 right? Wow, and I thought I was out of touch.. lol :mrgreen: :wink:
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Thu 12.18.2008 10:08 am

You can get a USB handset that looks just like a normal phone, except it plugs into your computer and lets you make calls over the internet (using skype, or other providers).
keatonatron

Postby Sairana » Thu 12.18.2008 11:07 am

A friend of mine is over in Germany with her husband, and has been for a couple years now. She uses an internet phone company to have a telephone number in the united states that rings on her cell phone --- in Germany. She has it local to her family, so when they call each other, it's just like a normal phone call... that is to say, it's free.

I can even call her, though it's long distance to her home state... which is to say it's also free, because I have free LD. :P

If you like that option, I can get specifics from her on how to set it up. I think she pays like $15 or less a month to have the phone line set up, PLUS it's all handled stateside, so your age isn't a big deal... at the very least I can get you the name of the company she does it through and they could answer questions specific to setting it up and using it in Japan.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan