Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Give up using chopsticks?

Give up using chopsticks?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Give up using chopsticks?

Postby furrykef » Sat 12.20.2008 10:37 am

two_heads_talking wrote:On that note, it seems that most foreigners get uptight about the "right" way to do everything in Japan. Perhaps, foreigners are just too uptight to begin with, and should loosen up a bit.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you'd have been paying attention, you'd have noticed I expanded even further than that on that point. ;)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.20.2008 11:29 am

furrykef wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:On that note, it seems that most foreigners get uptight about the "right" way to do everything in Japan. Perhaps, foreigners are just too uptight to begin with, and should loosen up a bit.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you'd have been paying attention, you'd have noticed I expanded even further than that on that point. ;)

- Kef

notice the smilies...
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Sat 12.20.2008 11:42 am

furrykef wrote:For instance, I always observe the rules of accentuation very strictly in written Spanish, including online chat, whereas most of my native Spanish-speaking friends barely use accents at all -- even though they have accents on their keyboards and I don't! One of the first things native speakers always compliment me on is my use of accent marks. And what really pisses me off is improper spelling and accentuation in print.

I used to follow Spanish accentuation rules strictly when chatting, but I would sometimes get negative feedback from people I didn't know, they'd usually think I was pretentious, stuck-up, boring, etc. just because I wrote correctly. Now what I do is watch how the other person writes. If they write well, I write well. If they sound stupid and have bad ortography, I'll instantly 'dumb down' my writing, including: omitting accentuation marks, using abbreviations, conjugating some verbs wrongly, avoiding uncommon vocabulary, losing respect for verb agreement in the subjunctive mood...

I also do this in real life (everything I mentioned except the first two, of course). Sadly, writing and speaking well don't make you friends.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.20.2008 1:04 pm

tanuki wrote:
furrykef wrote:For instance, I always observe the rules of accentuation very strictly in written Spanish, including online chat, whereas most of my native Spanish-speaking friends barely use accents at all -- even though they have accents on their keyboards and I don't! One of the first things native speakers always compliment me on is my use of accent marks. And what really pisses me off is improper spelling and accentuation in print.

I used to follow Spanish accentuation rules strictly when chatting, but I would sometimes get negative feedback from people I didn't know, they'd usually think I was pretentious, stuck-up, boring, etc. just because I wrote correctly. Now what I do is watch how the other person writes. If they write well, I write well. If they sound stupid and have bad ortography, I'll instantly 'dumb down' my writing, including: omitting accentuation marks, using abbreviations, conjugating some verbs wrongly, avoiding uncommon vocabulary, losing respect for verb agreement in the subjunctive mood...

I also do this in real life (everything I mentioned except the first two, of course). Sadly, writing and speaking well don't make you friends.

ROFL playing down to the level of a team is what keep mediocre teams out of teh SUPERBOWL.. So, if you want a chance in the playoffs, don't play down to the level of a poor team, you might get your butt whipped.
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Sat 12.20.2008 1:46 pm

tanuki wrote:I also do this in real life (everything I mentioned except the first two, of course). Sadly, writing and speaking well don't make you friends.

Eh, my own opinion is that the people who would object to such a thing aren't the people who are worth talking to. I can see why imposing your own standards on other people might raise objections, but if they object to your observance of your own standards, well, screw 'em, I say. :)

I mean, I am who I am. I do my best to write well, with correct form, no matter what language I'm using. It's what I do; I don't see any point in trying to be different if it ain't who I am. (Um... use of "ain't" doesn't count. ;))

- Kef
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby tanuki » Sat 12.20.2008 4:32 pm

furrykef wrote:Eh, my own opinion is that the people who would object to such a thing aren't the people who are worth talking to.

Yeah. I forgot to mention that I don't usually seek a friendship with these chat people who object to how I write. To be blunt, most times I'm just looking for sex.

With my friends I talk/write like I always do.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby furrykef » Sat 12.20.2008 6:43 pm

Well, that certainly would explain it... ^^;
furrykef

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 12.20.2008 7:38 pm

furrykef wrote:
tanuki wrote:I also do this in real life (everything I mentioned except the first two, of course). Sadly, writing and speaking well don't make you friends.

Eh, my own opinion is that the people who would object to such a thing aren't the people who are worth talking to. I can see why imposing your own standards on other people might raise objections, but if they object to your observance of your own standards, well, screw 'em, I say. :)

I mean, I am who I am. I do my best to write well, with correct form, no matter what language I'm using. It's what I do; I don't see any point in trying to be different if it ain't who I am. (Um... use of "ain't" doesn't count. ;))

- Kef

Like Tanuki said, there's actually a real world out there where fine and correct punctuation and grammar isn't appreciated as much as on some internet forums. There's nothing wrong in realpolitik, quite the contrary. "Idealistists" often become quite lonely outside their small domain of sycophant minions, that is, the rest of the world where "common people" wander. But hey, what tickles one's fancy right?
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby richvh » Sat 12.20.2008 8:02 pm

There's also a real world out there where spelling, grammar and punctuation are important. Guess which world tends to be higher paid?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.20.2008 8:09 pm

richvh wrote:There's also a real world out there where spelling, grammar and punctuation are important. Guess which world tends to be higher paid?

Monetary considerations aside, if everyone were content with the lowest common denominator then human civilization never would have advanced into the Stone Age, much less beyond it.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Sat 12.20.2008 9:37 pm

I just remembered another point. This doesn't just apply to foreigners and Japan. My ex would tell me about the times she went to a Pizza place when she was visiting China with her mother. The pizza was served in a nice china dish with fork, knife, and wine. Everyone else at the restaurant--eating with fork and knife--gave them dirty looks for eating American food the wrong way--with their hands.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.20.2008 9:50 pm

Have any of you ever had the fun of watching the reactions of Japanese when you bite into an apple?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby BrianM » Sun 12.21.2008 1:03 am

Infidel wrote:

I just remembered another point. This doesn't just apply to foreigners and Japan. My ex would tell me about the times she went to a Pizza place when she was visiting China with her mother. The pizza was served in a nice china dish with fork, knife, and wine. Everyone else at the restaurant--eating with fork and knife--gave them dirty looks for eating American food the wrong way--with their hands.

When I saw my uncle eat a pizza, and a hamburger too i think, with a knife and fork I laughed. This was in Portugal, they wondered what was so funny, and I wondered why they used utensils for "fast food". I think it shows how other cultures outside of a America are more well mannered. (not intended to start an argument:))
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby AJBryant » Sun 12.21.2008 4:01 am

No, it just shows they don't know how to eat pizza.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 12.21.2008 4:02 am

Mike Cash wrote:Have any of you ever had the fun of watching the reactions of Japanese when you bite into an apple?

Ain't it the truth? They freak out when you eat the whole grape as well without spitting out the skin.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan