Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning Tips ETC...

Learning Tips ETC...

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Learning Tips ETC...

Postby Stone_Cold » Fri 12.19.2008 6:37 pm

I've been interested in learning Japanese for years, but didn't have the ability or the money for the materials needed. Finally, I decided to purchase Genki... instruction book, workbook, and answer key. With common sense I won't be able to learn everything from these books and etc... Though, I consider this being a start. I'm going to take classes at ODU here pretty soon, but wanted a head start. Are there any helpful tips for learning Japanese that anyone would like to suggest? What was it like learning Japanese? Anything else you’d suggest?
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Learning Tips ETC...

Postby Sairana » Sat 12.20.2008 2:50 am

Sounds like you have a good start to me.

Maybe learn the stroke orders for the kanji you learn in Genki. Only bother with the kanji the chapter actually uses in the practice exercises.. not necessarily all the kanji from the "additional vocabulary" blocks. It'll help later on. There's lots of internet sources to find the stroke orders and examples of handwritten kanji -- don't compare with printed kanji, a pen/pencil will never look like a brush stroke. :P

For the future:

Expect the rough patches and plateaus, and have plenty of motivation to get you through them. The plateaus are especially disheartening because it -feels- like you're not making much progress or learning anything new or worthwhile. Absorb what you can, and the breakthrough happens eventually....
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Stone_Cold » Sun 12.21.2008 1:39 am

Thank you for the advice. What was your learning experience with Japanese like? By the way--I didn't know this website existed until I purchased my books from Amazon and they sent me a card about the website. They have some helpful information concerning Japanese and etc… However, I also suggest members should visit native speaking Japanese websites to further learn Japanese and not rely on this website entirely alone. I’m trying to learn some Japanese before I enlist in the Army. While enlisted I’m going to continue learning Japanese until I’m fluent and additionally learn Arabic/Farsi (Persian), Spanish, and Chinese Mandarin. Since Japanese and Chinese characters are so similar to one another—I don’t want to learn both at the same time. I’ve been wondering if the Tell Me More Deluxe Japanese disc pack is worth the money. Has anyone used this product before? If yes, then what did you truly think about the product? I’m looking for additional assistance on my verbal pronunciation. I started using my books yesterday and I’m beginning to like it. Japanese isn’t useful in my area—so I’m learning out of complete interest.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby richvh » Sun 12.21.2008 2:00 am

You do realize that Arabic and Farsi are too different, unrelated languages that happen to use the same script?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Stone_Cold » Sun 12.21.2008 2:17 am

"Arabic/Farsi (Persian)"

Yes. I meant to learn Arabic or Farsi. I didn't mean Arabic and Farsi are the same thing. Laugh....
Stone_Cold

Postby Sairana » Sun 12.21.2008 3:01 am

Stone_Cold wrote:What was your learning experience with Japanese like?

Sporadic. I began learning it because we hosted a foreign exchange student from Japan when I was 6 years old, and she left a lifelong positive image of Japan on me. It was always a distant goal of mine to learn Japanese "someday". Unfortunately, being a mother and the caretaker of my household leaves me little time to be completely dedicated, so I'm afraid that learning Japanese will never be more than a hobby, and becoming very good at it is something of a pipe dream. But I enjoy the process, and as long as I continue to enjoy it, I will continue to pursue it.

I also suggest members should visit native speaking Japanese websites to further learn Japanese

Sure... but not as a beginner. Corollary: Stay away from machine translators.

and not rely on this website entirely alone.

That's where the textbook comes in. ^_^

I’m looking for additional assistance on my verbal pronunciation.

There are audio files here on TJP, but you might want to take a peek at japanesepod101.com. Lots of listening practice to be had there for free. For a modest monthly fee, you get access to transcripts and other things as well.

I started using my books yesterday and I’m beginning to like it.

Just remember to take it slow, but that it's OK not to completely understand a concept before going on. A delicate balance between moving too quickly and too slowly. I have heard experts cite 80% understanding (a la Pimsleur), so that's usually what I recommend, too. :)
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips