Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Choice of Text Books

Choice of Text Books

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Choice of Text Books

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 10.25.2005 4:03 pm

Kates wrote:
Recently, I have been using mine frequently as I gear up for the JLPT. It has been so useful for getting good info on the differences between things like らしい、そう、よう and だろう (and other words that are very similar in Japanese). The dictionary provides good examples and translations, and references other entries in the book that help with understanding. (For example, the four words I listed above are all referenced under each others' entries because they are similar.)

say, kates, have you seen kodansha's effective japanese usage dictionary? it's a dictionary of synonymous terms and how to use them correctly. you won't need it often, but when you do need it, it's an invaluable resource (if you've ever asked yourself what's the difference between this word and that word).
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby Kates » Tue 10.25.2005 6:02 pm

Sounds interesting, skr~ I might check it out, thanks.
Kates

Postby ebo123 » Wed 10.26.2005 5:55 pm

I'm now starting to learn the Kanji. Just 4 Kyuu and First grade ones though. I am even making my own flash cards. It is REALLY hard work, but I think it is worth it. I can already write them, and I know what each one means, yet I do not know their pronuciation... Gotta work on that. It's like 120 cards... I'm not doing this for the next level.

Also, I took the time to make my own Kanji practice sheet. It really helps me learn how to write them.
Enjoy today, for yesterday is gone, and tommorow may never come.
ebo123

Postby ebo123 » Fri 10.28.2005 5:01 pm

Do you think I should supplement one textbook with another one?
ebo123

Postby Qbe » Sun 10.30.2005 10:34 pm

ebo123 wrote:
Do you think I should supplement one textbook with another one?

Multiple textbooks give the benefit of multiple viewpoints, which can help to clarify potential difficulties or confusion.

However, you need the discipline to stick with one primary textbook and not get distracted by the other(s). You could end up dividing your effort and getting bogged down.
Qbe

Postby ebo123 » Tue 11.01.2005 5:04 pm

Great advice, though I have the discipline to stay on one book. I finally ordered my books. I'm soooo... happy. Although, I have to wait 5-9 days because I got free shipping off of Borders.com for spending more than 25$ on books.

I bought Essential Kanji (Kanji dictionary), Japanese for Everyone, and The Oxford Guide to Japanese Grammar and Verbs.

Can't wait 'till it comes.
ebo123

Postby Qbe » Wed 11.02.2005 8:56 am

Be sure to let us know how you like the Oxford Guide. I've been wondering about that one too.
Qbe

Postby ebo123 » Wed 11.02.2005 4:47 pm

Of course... I was looking at it and... most Oxford books are really good so... I thought I would try it, and I read some really good reviews.
ebo123

Postby ebo123 » Sun 11.06.2005 6:16 pm

My books came on Saturday... I would have posted earlier, but I have been out of town. Anyway...

Japanese for Everyone: I LOVE it, I think it is the best book ever. VERY little use of romaji. I gives you one Kanji (hon/ book) in the first lesson (27 lessons in all). Each, even the first, is packed with vocabulary and exercises, tons of exercises.

Oxford Japanese Grammar and Verbs: Great reference book. You need to know a good bit of Japanese to get the best of it.

Essential Kanji: GREAT kanji dictionary.
ebo123

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips