Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Instant Immersion Japanese Lab

Instant Immersion Japanese Lab

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Instant Immersion Japanese Lab

Postby Kouhai » Sat 12.20.2008 11:50 pm

I saw this at the store today but couldn't buy because I had no money^^' I searched it online and it seems like a good japanese program. Can anyone who's used this before tell me if it's a good source to learn from?
Kouhai

Re: Instant Immersion Japanese Lab

Postby furrykef » Sun 12.21.2008 1:33 am

To be honest, I don't know if the Instant Immersion guys are capable of producing anything but garbage. I've bought two of their products now (Instant Immersion Japanese -- no "Lab" at the end -- and Instant Immersion Spanish Deluxe 2.0), and neither one shows any clue of how to teach a language.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby nukemarine » Sun 12.21.2008 9:59 am

We're at the point where you can get a majority of your Japanese "immersion" for free. The studying part you can get far better from free or cheaper resources.

Avoid anything that promises Japanese fast. I think Tofugu has a good video on the subject.
nukemarine

Postby Kouhai » Sun 12.21.2008 8:52 pm

I know that it won't tell full japanese by experience. Anyone tried Before You Know It Japanese? I was only planning to use Instant Immersion to learn small words and phrases along with my other studies. I don't have much learning material(or money) to start with since I just started learning japanese, so I'm being careful with what I buy. Thanks guys for your opinion on this :)
Kouhai

Postby Pkmn Trainer Abram » Sun 12.21.2008 10:43 pm

I have the 8 disc CD set and honestly, it's boring and not set up in a way fit for effective learning, IMO. Or you can listen to each track over and over but meh.
If Pokemon don't listen, it's a sign that you aren't whipping them enough.-Nuked
Pkmn Trainer Abram

Postby Kouhai » Sun 12.21.2008 11:05 pm

Well if I play it over and over again it'll get stuck in my head and I'd memorize it easy. That's how boring works for mexD I'm still hoping on getting a program at the store when I have enough, anyone know any good programs that I could buy?
Kouhai

Postby Sairana » Mon 12.22.2008 12:08 am

Do you have a textbook, and you're just looking for audio? There's lots of audio available on the internet for FREE.. no need to pay for things like Pimsleur or some such.

If you -don't- have a textbook, look into that instead of a "program". It will take you through a lot more than an audio course will. Audio courses are usually geared toward people going to the country soon who need a survival grasp of a language, not with the goal of fluency.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Kouhai » Mon 12.22.2008 9:48 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm still trying to find a textbook that's available in stores but can't find any(too young/not allowed to buy online) I'm not in high school yet so I can't borrow any textbooks from their japanese teacher, so finding one has been hard for me :(
Kouhai

Postby Sairana » Tue 12.23.2008 2:18 am

Kouhai wrote:Thanks for the advice, I'm still trying to find a textbook that's available in stores but can't find any(too young/not allowed to buy online) I'm not in high school yet so I can't borrow any textbooks from their japanese teacher, so finding one has been hard for me :(

Have you tried the library? Even if your local branch doesn't have it, you can ask them about inter-library loans. It's done all the time. :)
Sairana

Postby Kouhai » Wed 12.24.2008 12:12 am

Well I haven't been to the library for a while, so I'll stop by and see if they have any textbooks.
Quick question: What are inter-library loans? Strange that I don't know this, I'm in my school's library club too^^'
Kouhai

Postby Dustin » Wed 12.24.2008 12:27 am

Kouhai wrote:Well I haven't been to the library for a while, so I'll stop by and see if they have any textbooks.
Quick question: What are inter-library loans? Strange that I don't know this, I'm in my school's library club too^^'

I think they meant the public library rather than the school one.
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Wed 12.24.2008 12:54 am

Dustin_Calgary wrote:I think they meant the public library rather than the school one.

I did.

Kouhai wrote:Quick question: What are inter-library loans?

inter-library.... between libraries. If your local branch doesn't have what you want, they can get it from another branch farther away. Most libraries have a pretty big network, usually extending to whatever the biggest city is near you.

You find the book you want, and ask your librarian if you can get it anyway. They'll be able to handle the details. Even in backwoods Wisconsin, I could have books shipped to my local library from an hour and a half away. It took a week to get there, but otherwise it was just like checking out any other book from the library.

===========
Option Two
===========
Universities and/or Community Colleges

If you live near one, call and ask if the public can use their library. (FREE OPTION)
If that turns out to be a dead end, look around for local used textbook shops. Any town with a college or university in it will have one. And even if Japanese isn't taught there, the book shop might be able to get you a cheap(er), used copy from one of their OTHER LOCATIONS from anywhere across the country unless they're a locally owned store (they are usually chains). (NOT FREE, but cheaper than new)
Sairana

Postby Pork Chop » Wed 12.24.2008 3:32 am

Just an FYI
I seen either this book, or one like it at Barnes & Nobles:
http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Japane ... 0804835047
Pork Chop

Postby Kouhai » Thu 12.25.2008 11:30 pm

Thanks again for these idea guys, now all I need is money :D
Kouhai