Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 年賀状 New Year's Cards

年賀状 New Year's Cards

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

年賀状 New Year's Cards

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 12.24.2008 5:46 am

Has everyone here living Japan-side finished their 年賀状 yet?

I was putting mine off for quite a while and finally finished more than 80 today! I still am waiting on addresses for another 5 or so people, but gosh it's hard work writing all those addresses. It's times like these that make me wish I'd spent more time improving my kanji handwriting. I'm embarrassed to see my chicken-scratch on the cards, but people are usually pretty forgiving.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: 年賀状 New Year's Cards

Postby clay » Wed 12.24.2008 8:21 am

We sent our personal 年賀状 out yesterday (most of them to Japan, so maybe it will arrive around the right time :) )
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Wed 12.24.2008 10:24 am

I figure it will become more important once I start a professional career.

I've never sent 年賀状 before, and it seems that all my friends who are the same age haven't sent many either.

I've seen my teachers at school filling them out, and I get the feeling it's more of a professional obligation than a method of personal expression.

I'm thinking about sending one, though, to that "special someone".
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 12.24.2008 11:15 am

keatonatron wrote:I figure it will become more important once I start a professional career.

I've never sent 年賀状 before, and it seems that all my friends who are the same age haven't sent many either.

I've seen my teachers at school filling them out, and I get the feeling it's more of a professional obligation than a method of personal expression.

It's partially a professional obligation (I run a school and I send a card to each of my students, for example) but it's also done among friends and can be a good way to keep in touch with people you don't see very often.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.24.2008 11:51 am

becki_kanou wrote:
keatonatron wrote:I figure it will become more important once I start a professional career.

It's partially a professional obligation (I run a school and I send a card to each of my students, for example) but it's also done among friends and can be a good way to keep in touch with people you don't see very often.

I had learned (been taught) that professionaly it was an obligation and "the appropriate" card was the most important part of that. I had also learned it to be a great networking tool, for those working their way up the corporate ladder, and for those looking for an in, the cards are a great way to traverse the social networking. And of coure family and friends, it's an easy way, as Becki mentions, to keep everyone informed and up to date on what's going on. Think of it like the yearly cards you get sometimes from folks that have the "what we did this year...." stuff on it..

I am amazed at the number of cards I'd see when I'd go to teh post office. Some people would have a bag full of them..
two_heads_talking

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 12.24.2008 12:38 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:I had learned (been taught) that professionaly it was an obligation and "the appropriate" card was the most important part of that.

Yup. There are a huge range of designs, from the very tasteful and elegant, to Hello Kitty, Mickey Mouse etc.

Here's the one we sent
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby chikara » Thu 12.25.2008 3:38 am

becki_kanou wrote:Has everyone here living Japan-side finished their 年賀状 yet?

I don't live "Japan-side" but I send a few every year to Japanese business associates. Posted the last week marked 年賀 so hopefully they arrive in time and are delivered on the appropriate day.

becki_kanou wrote:...... It's times like these that make me wish I'd spent more time improving my kanji handwriting. I'm embarrassed to see my chicken-scratch on the cards, but people are usually pretty forgiving.

Ditto. I receive xmas cards from Japan written in scratchy English so I don't feel too bad about my scratchy kanji. I feel it would be recieved worse if I wrote in English in the cards.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 12.25.2008 6:03 am

In Australia, there has been a huge increase in the number of e-Christmas cards sent out this year. This really annoys me, especially since you can't hang them on string around the house. Personally I don't like receiving them. I think it's lazy and I would never do it.
I'm wondering if the Japanese have taken to sending e-年賀状 ? Or is the tradition of posting them still alive and well?
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 12.25.2008 6:29 am

tokai devotee wrote:In Australia, there has been a huge increase in the number of e-Christmas cards sent out this year. This really annoys me, especially since you can't hang them on string around the house. Personally I don't like receiving them. I think it's lazy and I would never do it.
I'm wondering if the Japanese have taken to sending e-年賀状 ? Or is the tradition of posting them still alive and well?

I agree completely. I love getting Christmas cards and I keep them from year to year to decorate the house just as you mentioned!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby clay » Fri 12.26.2008 10:22 am

Here is our Nengajou for this year.
Attachments
nengajou2008.jpg
nengajou2008.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
clay
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 12.26.2008 10:43 am

Great picture Clay!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby clay » Fri 12.26.2008 10:47 am

Thanks!

It is kind of hard to see, but that snarl Makoto has in the picture is his 'smile.' When someone asks him to "smile" he does that. Here also.
clay
Site Admin

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 12.27.2008 12:30 am

可愛い!!
My son (5 y.o.) always says "What a cute little boy!" when he looks at Clay's avatar!!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby keatonatron » Sat 12.27.2008 11:06 am

Awesome, from now on when asked to smile I'm going to snarl.
keatonatron

Postby clay » Sat 12.27.2008 7:29 pm

tokai devotee wrote:可愛い!!
My son (5 y.o.) always says "What a cute little boy!" when he looks at Clay's avatar!!

hehe. I really should update it. My two year old is now three and I also have a daughter now. I probably should squeeze her in there somehow.
clay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan