Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dexter (TV Show)

Dexter (TV Show)

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Dexter (TV Show)

Postby illicit » Thu 12.25.2008 5:44 am

I hope there isn't a thread about this, I did search but found nothing.

As you can tell by my avatar, I am a fan of this show. So, does anyone here watch the show? Or read the books?

I've just watched all the seasons in the TV show, and got the first 3 books for a christmas present. Cannot wait to read! :D It'd be great to get a bit of a discussion about the show for those that have seen it, or read the books. Please use spoiler tags (assuming there are some here) to prevent ruining major plot twists.

For those who haven't seen the show or know nothing about it, this is what it's about:
During the day, Dexter Morgan is a jovial employee in the Miami Metropolitan Police Department's crime lab, but his meticulously crafted life masks his true nature. In reality Dexter is a disciplined and murderous psychopath (a self-admitted "monster"), and he slakes his blood lust at night by carefully killing the serial killers he tracks down during the day.
illicit

Re: Dexter (TV Show)

Postby AJBryant » Thu 12.25.2008 6:00 am

illicit wrote:I hope there isn't a thread about this, I did search but found nothing.

Well, I'm not surprised, as this is a Japanese forum, and not a TV forum. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby illicit » Thu 12.25.2008 6:08 am

It's also posted in the Off Topic forum...
Discuss stuff not related to japan or japanese. The rules is the same in this forum as in the other forums on the page.

:wink:
I'm just trying to start some converstaion and get to know people here, I don't know much japanese yet, so there isn't a whole lot of point for me to start threads about that.
illicit

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 12.25.2008 6:33 am

I've heard about this show from my Mom. She watches it and she said it was great, but I haven't seen it on the racks at the local video shop yet, so alas I'm still in the dark.

I'm assuming the title is some kind of word-play? Dexter vs. Sinister or him being "the right hand"? It sounds like a clever concept anyway.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby furrykef » Thu 12.25.2008 8:47 am

I like the one episode where the only thing Dexter can say is "omelette du fromage", and Dee-Dee makes fun of him because --

What? What was that? We're not talking about that Dexter? Oh, never mind, then...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Dustin » Thu 12.25.2008 12:20 pm

furrykef wrote:I like the one episode where the only thing Dexter can say is "omelette du fromage", and Dee-Dee makes fun of him because --

What? What was that? We're not talking about that Dexter? Oh, never mind, then...

I LOVED that episode, it was great, solved great problem's achieve world piece, and .....
Blows up the laboratory, poor kid. :D
Dustin

Postby nukemarine » Fri 12.26.2008 2:28 am

I happened to catch the first episode of Dexter by accident. It was on a Japanese station called "Fox Crime" which shows crime related dramas and shows usually in English with Japanese sub-titles. Did not know the title or that it was a continuing series. It was interesting and did keep my attention the entire hour. That was the Summer last year. That October, just happened to see the billboard "America's favorite serial killer returns" when I visited the US. With that reminder, I just downloaded Season 1 and 2 and began to catch up. Like most others, just finished with Season 3 which I think surpassed the first two.

Great show. It's very funny and dark. That you're cheering on a serial killer to not only go unnoticed, but to continue in his gruesome way is telling.

I've not read the books. However, I've consistently heard that though season 1 matches up with the first book, the later books go off into left field. Many say it's one of the few times the TV adaption surpasses the books. When the series comes out in Japanese (with Japanese dubs and subs naturally), I'll probably rent them at Tsutaya to copy them for my computer.
nukemarine

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 12.29.2008 9:49 am

I cought the first few episodes until it went to Showtime, and haven't been able to see it since. I suppose I will wait for the dvds to come out.

I love the irony of his position as a crime scene detective in which he ultimately ends up looking for serial killers, which happpens to be his real nature. He does alot of analysis in the show about how sloppy or competent the serial killer really is. There was a certain serial killer, that was mocking him during the series that I saw.. I'll not give away the plot, nor the ending.. :twisted:
two_heads_talking

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 03.26.2009 10:43 am

I didn't think it could get better than the first season, but the second blew me away. I can't wait for season 3 to come out on dvd (if it hasn't already). Anyone that watches it on showtime know how far along it is?
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Thu 03.26.2009 9:33 pm

We're between seasons now. Season three was done months ago, and we're waiting for four.

Three was *very* interesting. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 03.27.2009 2:59 am

zengargoyle

Postby hyperconjugated » Fri 03.27.2009 4:47 am

Recap of the 2nd season, FUN-NY.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer