Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ジーニアス 第二版 和英辞典 usage question

ジーニアス 第二版 和英辞典 usage question

Japanese, general discussion on the language

ジーニアス 第二版 和英辞典 usage question

Postby Takoyaki » Sat 12.27.2008 11:21 pm

I am looking for what a "na-S" is in this dictionary. I am a little frustrated so forgive me while I vent a little.

Now, maybe no one will know the answer to this, but I have looked everywhere I can think of and could not find it myself...

I have looked all over the 凡例 section of the dictionary, and it does not mention "na-S". Not once. It does not mention "na" either. I don't think it means "na-adjective" in this case. I ran into it in one entry: "おもいどおりに" The definition of the phrase they give is: "as {na-S} wanted [hoped]".

One possible clue is the 凡例 does mention "S" means subject. Still, the format is not mentioned in the 凡例. Strangely, it mentiones what the [] brackets are for, but not the {} brackets. Also, when the dictionary uses "S" as "subject", "O" as "object" and so forth, it has not used {} brackests before. Example: "思い止まる" definition is "persuade O not to do". No brackets used. So what is up with randomly throwing in {na-S}?

I even searched it online, on the publisher's website. Nothing came up explaining what it could mean.... Any ideas?

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
Takoyaki

Re: ジーニアス 第二版 和英辞典 usage question

Postby keatonatron » Sun 12.28.2008 1:53 am

Have you seen {na-S} in multiple places? A few more examples might be helpful.

In this particular example, it looks to me like one possibility is that the subject isn't required. Both "As wanted" and "As S wanted" are possible definitions.

Although I'm not sure what the "na" has to do with it...
keatonatron

Native language: English

Re: ジーニアス 第二版 和英辞典 usage question

Postby Takoyaki » Sun 12.28.2008 3:06 am

You're right. A number of examples would help. But I checked numerous words, and could not find another with the "na" part. Maybe it's a typo...
Takoyaki

Return to Japanese General Discussion