Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English usage?

English usage?

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Re: English usage?

Postby adonis0418 » Fri 11.21.2008 11:01 pm

AJBryant wrote:Something has been more and more annoying me, and just out of curiousity I'd like to know...

What is the point of trying to learn a second language before one has learned one's own? I have seen so many marginally literate posts that it astounds me. Problems like simple words being misspelled, the most basic grammar rules being violated, syntax going south, no capitalization, and so on, are rife.

Does no one study spelling or grammar anymore? In some forums I'm on, I've taked to occasionally asking if English was the poster's native language before responding, so I know the skill-level of the poster.

This isn't an online game where seconds matter and typing "g2g, brb!" is okay. This is a forum where opinions are exchanged, information is sought, and advice is offered. If you want help, it would benefit you to show enough respect to actually write a real message.

If you're not a native speaker of English, I'm not talking to you so don't be insulted. If, however, you are in HIGH SCHOOL or are beyond that and are still writing like an elementary school student, feel free to be insulted. But it's your own fault.

Come on, people. Please. Let's have a *little* pride in our communications.

Tony

I can't agree with you more, and I believe that the reason for them to use BRB or other acronyms is to catch attention from others and to show off their ability. Acronyms are widely used among yound generations, as far as I know, in Japan. the youngesters refer acronyms as "KY 語", like a guessing question or so. In China, Teens use a series of symbols that you have never learnt in your school. They really think they are fashionable. It is better to make this trend removed among those youngsters by attching a great importance on language teaching in school.
adonis0418

Native language: 中国語

Postby Stone_Cold » Fri 12.19.2008 7:36 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Stone_Cold on Sun 04.26.2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Postby Sairana » Sat 12.20.2008 3:37 am

Stone_Cold wrote:I’m simply stating that—though, there is always a correct way of speaking a language—many find ways to make it even simpler. Your post is a form of opinion [snip]

A form of opinion that most people here share. As a site dedicated to the study of a language, and inhabited by more than native English speakers, it's expected that people posting here will take a little more care with their writing.

The "it happens everywhere and everyone does it" argument falls flat. Everyone passes gas now and again, but do it in the middle of your church sermon or your classroom lecture and see what sort of response you get from those around you. Is it only opinion that one should manage to control their bodily function during these times? No, it's about being appropriate to the situation. There is a time and place for everything.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.20.2008 10:10 am

Stone_Cold wrote:This occurs in most—if not all languages. This why it’s called conversational English and etc… Many use acronyms and etc… to write faster [etc...] and usually applies to everyone at some point. I’m simply stating that—though, there is always a correct way of speaking a language—many find ways to make it even simpler. Your post is a form of opinion and I guarantee everyone’s interpreting my post differently from what I originally intended.

Ok, this has to be the most disjointed paragraph I think I have ever seen........ At least when Victor Borge did it, he used his hands and funny noises.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7L02tCN ... re=related
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Stone_Cold » Sun 12.21.2008 2:05 am

Deleted
Last edited by Stone_Cold on Sun 04.26.2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby richvh » Sun 12.21.2008 7:51 am

We expect proper English usage here by native speakers for the sake of the many non-native speakers, including the Japanese speakers who help us out, who frequent this forum, so get off your high horse.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 12.21.2008 9:57 am

Stone_Cold wrote:F*** you know-it-all!

What a way to start off a post.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 12.22.2008 10:20 am

Stone_Cold wrote:F*** you know-it-all! Don’t go around correcting people when you’ve done it yourself. My apologies for using foul language on the forum. I don’t usually take anger out on people, but I let it get the best of me. Whatever, I’m moving on…

Well, now that we got that out of the way. I don't know it all, but, I do know your sense of humor is broken and needs some readjusting..

Try Victor Borge's approach.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHuHcMk ... re=related sometimes all you need to do is turn the page over..
two_heads_talking

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 12.25.2008 12:26 am

Deleted
Last edited by Stone_Cold on Sun 04.26.2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone_Cold

Postby Infidel » Thu 12.25.2008 1:59 am

Stone,

I'm getting annoyed with your posts more and more. This is a family site so the foul language needs to end now. You've a decided inability to disagree without taking personal offense and resorting to personal attacks as your primary argumentative method.

Remember this. No one makes you offended. You have to choose to be offended. Unfortunately, you are choosing to take offense where none was obviously meant. There is a difference between an insult, and a gentle chide.

This topic has nothing to due with the subject of using proper formal English on the forum so other individuals can understand. Whatever… I

The forum RULES include using good English or Japanese. Following Forum Etiquette and Forum rules are ALWAYS on topic. If someone points out your writing may be in breach of our rules, or your behavior unacceptable, take it under advisement and try to do better, don't bite the hand that guides you. Oh, and the forum rules also say don't necropost unless you've something significant to add....

There's a sticky at the top of the boards that says, "READ BEFORE POSTING."
Go read it before you make any more posts. Read theForum Etiquette wiki page, written by some idiot and Coco.

It would be nice if it were referenced in the sticky, but I guess I could stick it in my sig or something.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby AJBryant » Thu 12.25.2008 2:36 am

The finger is hovering.

AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 12.29.2008 10:05 am

Stone_Cold wrote:Now you're acting like a child. This topic has nothing to due with the subject of using proper formal English on the forum so other individuals can understand. Whatever… I’m not playing your immature dumbass games.

Your posts are like Victor Borge playing this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fEy9g2T ... re=related

you know they are wrong, but you want to keep blaming someone else for your inadequacies..You see, no matter what happens in life, Victor Borge can solve the problem, so just do as he does.....
two_heads_talking

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 12.29.2008 4:40 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Stone_Cold on Sun 04.26.2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone_Cold

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 12.29.2008 5:14 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:Your posts are like Victor Borge playing this song...

you know they are wrong, but you want to keep blaming someone else for your inadequacies..You see, no matter what happens in life, Victor Borge can solve the problem, so just do as he does.....

Ruahahah, added to favourites :D
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Infidel » Mon 12.29.2008 10:06 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Stone_Cold wrote:Now you're acting like a child. This topic has nothing to due with the subject of using proper formal English on the forum so other individuals can understand. Whatever… I’m not playing your immature dumbass games.

Your posts are like Victor Borge playing this song...

TH, even though I recognize the name Victor Borge, I'd never actually seen him before your links. Is all of his comedy music based?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習