Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 十二国記 discussion

十二国記 discussion

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

十二国記 discussion

Postby ss » Sat 12.27.2008 9:51 am

(Note: split from the JLPT 2 2008/9 thread.

Hola Katafei,
Thanks again for your reply.

Everyone has different studying habits. I think generally the old gang here are still keeping themselves up with the JP learning at the back of the screen (we are busy people, afterall ^_^). It’s glad that some of us have come to the some idea of thinking group revisions help us learn and think better.

I’m agreeing with you here that we should also draw up a “listening comprehension” and “reading comprehension” revision schedule, as I know myself clearly I’m still weak in these two areas.

Just a side note. What I’ve observed, for example in Lang 8, despite, there are a number of native Japanese or advance learners who are kind enough to correct your sentences, BUT, there are always lacking extra explanations or I shall call them “key facts of grammar points”. Another thing is, once one journal has been corrected, no one will dig into older journals (probably just 2 or 3 days old only) to further elaborate or furnish extra notes.

I could be wrong, as I said earlier, all of us have different studying habits or preferred methods. Personally I still prefer to post questions in forums like we always do in TJP. They are acting like “Post it Notes”. Your memory gets better when you keep seeing the things you need to memorise and getting key facts and phrases straight, helps sticking in mind, to some effects. We can always share older posts for good references by pointing them to the threads.

Please do share the idea of how we can go about with the listening comprehension. BTW, do you still encounter problems loggin’ to Pandion?

I think there are many new and useful resources on the main page of TJP we can make good use of too.

-----
Btw, are you keen in reading Twelve Kingdoms Novels? I read from the other thread that Rich-san is reading these novels, maybe when we have some free time, we can meet in pandion, to discuss some grammars or clarify things we don't understand, with him? Shall we start practise "comprehension" by reading these novels?
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Re: 十二国記 discussion

Postby katafei » Sun 12.28.2008 4:23 am

That sounds like fun, SS! And it would be a great way to incorporate grammar discussions in a more casual way. That's more or less what I had in mind for listening as well.
I found a great audio track of commercial radio. Full of numbers and several usefull grammar structures. Not easy, but a lot like one of the tracks in the test ^_^
(right now, I don't know where I put it; it didn't look like people were interested in study groups just yet...)

On the down side, this way of practising might not be very useful for people who haven't already reviewed most of the grammar involved. I'm not too sure....

On another down side:
I went to our local Japan Bookshop straight away, but they didn't have this series. So I checked out Amazon. But as usual, the book is not so expensive (less then 10 euro) but shipping costs are ridiculous (more then 30 euro!!).

So right now my brain is doing overtime in thinking of ways to beat the system. ^_^

Also (but I'm sure you are very aware of this) in preparing for JLPT, it's important not to stick to one book or one writer! We'll have to diversify, either in the group or privately.
But I like the idea of discussing a book like this very much!
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby katafei » Sun 12.28.2008 6:31 am

SS, I think I found a way to bypass amazon's extra income on shipping abroad...

Would we be going for part 1?
http://tinyurl.com/7qc9hp
(I'm not 100% sure this isn't a manga version :oops: )
katafei

Postby ss » Mon 12.29.2008 12:58 am

Katafei,
After a long vacation there are many things to catch up right here. Sorry if my reply is slow.

Wait a minute. I've actually bought the wrong ones, they are manga version. I've called up the customer service here in Kinokuniya, but even they themselves can't give me the ISBN for novel version. And according to them, there are two types Japanese version, one being the adult version, sorely in Japanese text. The other one is teen version, sorely in Japanese version (exactly the same as adult version) WITH illustrations.

I'm going to get the teen version, btw. 8)

I'll make a trip down to kinokuniya tonight or tomorrow, will get back to you the ISBN no. Later!
ss

Postby ss » Tue 12.30.2008 8:56 am

Hello Katafei,
Okay, the novel version for 十二国記 actually has a total of 9 books, being
講談社文庫  小野不由美作品
《月の影 影の海》(上)(下)
《風の海 迷宫の岸》 ISBN4-06-264833-4 S$16.00
《東の海神 西の滄海》 ISBN4-06-264834-2 S$13.80
《風の万里 黎明の空》(上)ISBN4-06-264998-5 (下)ISBN4-06-264999-3 S$13.80 each
《図南の翼》
《黄昏の岸 曉の天》
《華胥の幽夢》

Sorry, I went down to 3 places, only managed to get the adult version of 《風の海 迷宫の岸》、《東の海神 西の滄海》 and 《風の万里 黎明の空》(上)(下) at Kinokuniya, Takashimaya Branch. The rest are out of stock. These books are actually small books about the size of 夜のくもざる。The salesgirl told me the teen version is not much difference, just a few pictures in between pages, that's all.

Do you think we need to buy the whole series? Or just pick one of the 9?
Last edited by ss on Thu 01.01.2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Postby katafei » Tue 12.30.2008 9:32 am

Probably one is fine to start with. We can always decide differently later on, but it might also be a nice idea to continue with another kind of book to review here...?

I think I just ordered the first 2 parts:
月の影 影の海 and 风の海 迷宫の岸

I was tempted to buy all 9, as they are very cheap, but amazon.co.jp came up with a lot more titles and I couldn't figure out what was what :D
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Postby ss » Tue 12.30.2008 10:09 am

Since I have 風の海 迷宫の岸, we might as well start with this book? After Chinese New Year, okay?

What other books would you suggest to review here?

>>> couldn't figure out what was what :D

Yeah, I was surprised with the book covers of the adult versions, not even a picture of 尚隆 。  :wink:
Last edited by ss on Thu 01.01.2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Postby katafei » Tue 12.30.2008 2:02 pm

Book 2 is fine by me.
(I just had to change to my order with amazon, because I noticed the books were divided into 2, as many Japanese books are. I guess 上 and 下 stand for part 1 and part 2, doesn't it?

And the Chinese New year will give us time to read a bit first.
First Day of the Year of the Ox falls on 1/26/2009, right?

I have no specific books to recommend right now.
at the moment I'm reading:
恋人たちの記憶 by 水上洋子 (Youko Minakami); it's nice enough, but nothing particularly special so far...
Harry Potter would be fun, but I'm not sure if it's wise to choose a translated book?
Edit: O, and I like Murakami! so any book of his would be interesting...I've got this one at home : 海辺のカフカ

anyway, this book should keep us busy for a while, I think.
O, and I believe I got the teen version....:lol:
katafei

Postby caroline » Tue 12.30.2008 2:32 pm

Hello girls,
I'm still somewhat under water, but hopefully, it should not last too long (whishful thinking? :cry: )
So, could I join, as I haven't totally given up trying and passing JLPT2 next year?
Books, I think I can find, just tell me which.
Katafei, if you have trouble with shipping fees from amazon, and want books, I guess the posting fees from France should be better, provided I find the books at Bookoff or, but probably more expensive, Junku.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby katafei » Tue 12.30.2008 4:44 pm

Hi Caroline,

welcome back and hopefully you'll stay above water for a while!!
Well, we're starting with 风の海 迷宫の岸, which is part 2 from 十二国記 at the end of next month. It would be great if you could join as well.
katafei

Postby ss » Tue 12.30.2008 9:59 pm

Hi Caroline,

Glad to see you again. And yes it would be great if you could join us.

Hi Katafei,

I think so, in English as part 1 and 2.
You mean you want to start with part 2? I think the story continues from part 1. Start from part 2 sounds ... a little weird, to me. :lol: You got the teen version? Lucky you...... ^_^

Yup, first day of the Ox year falls on 26th Jan. I'll have more time after the first week of the NY. But, in any case, if anyone can start earlier, please proceed.

I'll probably go Kinokuniya again on one weekend, really have to stay there for at least half a day to search for books, am thinking to get 狼羊物語 novel version, I watched the movie and didn't get what the 狼 was saying most of the time, perhaps he was speaking some kind of dialects? :mrgreen:
ss

Postby katafei » Wed 12.31.2008 1:29 am

No, not part 2, book 2...?!
You haven't got book 1 (yet) do you?

Since I have 风の海 迷宫の岸, we might as well start with this book? After Chinese New Year, okay?

Maybe I misunderstood, just let me know. it doesn't really matter too much to me which book we use ^_^

EVerbody have a nice evening today! Last day of 2008, can't believe it!

Later...
katafei

十二国記 discussion

Postby katafei » Sun 01.04.2009 2:49 pm

@Gundae:
o oh, did you go and order no 1 ? My bad, as usual, but Caroline is right about the title.
We decided on title no 2......風の海 迷宫の岸
I think it's pretty much a different story, so the order won't matter much...sorry.

Caroline wrote:
I guess I misunderstood what you meant, as there is indeed one kanji and related verb not on the JLPT2 list I have...

Yeah, there are frustratingly many different lists, and still, on the test, they will hit you with words you've never heard of....
The verbs I listed all came from "my" JLPT2 vocab list....

As for Skype, Pandion or Rikai, I think it's wise if everybody would list their preference as Gundae did. Although I'm going to be difficult: I don't think I have any...so whatever suits most people is fine by me.
(Can you talk with a group using Skype? It would be fun to practise speaking, but really, no preference ^_^ . I'm going to check out this Rikai thread now)

O, and I found this ラジオショッピング blogs again. They drive you mad, as any advertising does, but they bear an uncanning resemblance to some of the JLPT listening sections. So I've decided to listen to at least one of these every week, totally determined to crack the code....it's already getting a little bit easier to understand what they're saying!!! :shock:
katafei

Postby richvh » Wed 01.07.2009 9:05 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:I'm checking with http://www.nippon-export.com and http://www.yesasia.com to see if they bring Twelve Kingdoms in stock.

Sasuga Books stocks Twelve Kingdoms.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby katafei » Thu 01.15.2009 6:50 pm

SS wrote:I wonder Katafei and Caroline can log in to Pandion? I haven't yet seen them.

I'm sure I can as well, I just haven't gotten around to giving it a go....
It's on my to-do list for this weekend :lol:

@Gundae, did you manage to get hold of the right book?
katafei

Next

Return to History and Literature Discussions