Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji in manga land help!

Kanji in manga land help!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji in manga land help!

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 12.26.2008 9:19 pm

If anybody uses this book, please tell me how I'm supposed to remember the jukugo, and how do I study? Should I remember all the jukugo on each page before I move on to the next lesson. Please help me on this.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Kanji in manga land help!

Postby jcdietz03 » Tue 12.30.2008 12:51 pm

So, you're having trouble remembering something.
I am a beginner; I don't know much Japanese. I have some things you could try:

Use an SRS, a spaced repetition system. Anki, SuperMemo, Mnemosyne, and I personally use KhatsuMemo, but not for this specifically. Google any of them, or google spaced repetition system to learn more. Basically a glorified flashcard system specialized for long-term memory.

As to how to set up your SRS, I have no advice for you. I would use sentences rather than just two kanji but I would play around with it for a little and see what works for you.
jcdietz03

Postby clay » Tue 12.30.2008 1:29 pm

When I spot a word I want to learn, I usually write down the word with furigana and an English meaning. Then, as jcdietz03 suggested, I write a sentence under it so I can learn context and usage.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 12.31.2008 5:17 pm

Right now I'm trying to learn every single jukugo listed on the kanji (in the book) that way when I have completed the book I will know 240 kanji, with memorizing each jukugo means just from this book I would have learned like 1440 words!! Because there is like 6-9 jukugo a page. so I'll take a little at a time i guess.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips