Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki questions

Genki questions

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Genki questions

Postby FoolOnThePlanet » Thu 11.27.2008 12:42 pm

Hey guys

I know that Genki is pretty highly talked about as a resource. I was wondering what was the necessities of the parts.
By this I mean, if I were to buy Genki 1, there is a text, a workbook, and an answer key. Is the workbook based on the text or could I just get the workbook and work on the activities in it? Also, is the answer key necessary? Is there any other way to check your answers without it? Or what about just getting the text? Are there activities in it that I could do instead of getting the workbook?

Just wondering since all 3 books is near 100 dollars and wanted to know if all 3 were vital.

Thanks!
FoolOnThePlanet

Re: Genki questions

Postby Sairana » Thu 11.27.2008 1:10 pm

You get out what you put in. Whether or not something is 'vital' is subjective, I suppose. You could learn Japanese with just the textbook. It has exercizes for each chapter like other textbooks you might be familiar with.

Workbooks provide additional reinforcement, drilling more of the same concepts. It would help to solidify anything you learn in the text. I call that vital. Some other people might call it unnecessary.

The stronger your foundation, the easier your studies will progress. But if cost is a problem and you only want to get one thing, get the textbook. It's what actually teaches the material... the workbook assumes you have read the text.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby kilometers » Fri 11.28.2008 3:46 pm

There are some excercises in the textbook at the end of each lesson you can do but I strongly reccomend the workbook with the textbook. The excercises in the workbook are good practice. As Sairana said, don't just buy the workbook alone since it won't teach you anything and is there to help you practice what you learned in the textbook.

As for the answer key, I heard most of it is in Kanji which might make it harder for someone learning the material to understand the answers written in there but this is only what I've heard. I could be wrong.
kilometers

Native language: English

Postby Valatunda » Sun 11.30.2008 4:26 am

kilometers wrote:As for the answer key, I heard most of it is in Kanji which might make it harder for someone learning the material to understand the answers written in there but this is only what I've heard. I could be wrong.

Any words written with kanji have no furigana, but these words should have either been introduced in the related part of the textbook or before it I believe.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Masked Man » Wed 12.03.2008 9:07 pm

By and large, a lot of the workbook stuff is checkable by looking through the book's grammar sections and whatnot. I did the first textbook on my own from about mid-July through the end of August, and I could almost always tell when I was wrong by looking back in the book to cross-reference grammatical constructions and/or a kanji here or there. The Genki books are pretty well adapted for self-study. Plus, you can always just ask someone on here if you're unsure. :wink:
Masked Man

Native language: English (英語)

Postby Riza » Wed 12.31.2008 12:23 pm

I started chapter 3 yesterday, however, I don't really know hot to study since Kanji have appeared, I mean, what should I do? Study Kanji alongside with grammar, that's I'm doing, but the book does not have the kanji per chapter, it mixes all the kanji in the last pages, and to look for the kanji I need may get boring.
Riza

Native language: portuguese

Postby Sairana » Wed 12.31.2008 4:46 pm

Riza wrote:and to look for the kanji I need may get boring.

If looking up kanji you need is boring, you are in for a seriously rough time studying Japanese. It's not all ninjas and pirates...
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Dustin » Wed 12.31.2008 4:53 pm

Sairana wrote:
Riza wrote:and to look for the kanji I need may get boring.

If looking up kanji you need is boring, you are in for a seriously rough time studying Japanese. It's not all ninjas and pirates...

Agreed...

Unfortunately textbooks like Genki rarely do really good Kanji teaching.
For that you need a separate Kanji book most times, or just look it up and do your best to memorize the, using flashcards, SRS ( Software for flashcards that uses spaced algorithms to turn short term to long term memory ), or the tried and true method of writing it our hundreds of times.

Welcome To Japanese, the long road, better try to enjoy the journey, it'll be a while. :D
Dustin

Postby Riza » Thu 01.01.2009 8:17 am

I said it might get boring because they're all mixed instead of being in the order they appear in the book. Looking for them is boring, learning them isn't.

After finishing Genki I'm ought to buy one kanji dictionary.

I really like learning japanese, its like an hobbie, you do it because you like it. It feels great to achieve a goal (or a lesson), and having understood it all. After lunch I shall continue my study :mrgreen:

Thanks to both of you.
Riza

Native language: portuguese

Postby Dustin » Thu 01.01.2009 4:52 pm

It may be worth it to get a kanji dictionary before finishing genki to help you look up the kanji you are finding.
Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary is a great one to start out with, has an easy look-up system for beginners.

Alternatively, you may be able to find a Kanji list online somewhere OF the Kanji in Genki and if you can, this makes using an online dictionary fairly easy :D

Glad to hear you don't mind the long droning parts of learning the language, as there will be many.

Good Luck!
Dustin

Postby john2 » Thu 01.01.2009 7:59 pm

I’ll get used it eventually myself hope to make progress.
john2

Postby brainded » Sun 01.25.2009 7:40 pm

I have the genki series and use a combination of http://www.jisho.org to look up the kanji using romaaji and Essential Kanji for the penji. The best way is to write it out many many many times. It works for nearly all of the kanji. It's best to try to solidify each chapter's kanji before you move onto the exercises for active recall instead of passive.
As for the workbook and answer book (the text is the most important one) you can go without. It will be hard to practice, but you buddy up and practice what you learned in each chapter with your friend. If you can buy the workbook, DO. It is extremely helpful. Any questions, feel free to contact me.
"Common sense is not so common."
brainded

Postby Disco » Sat 03.28.2009 6:52 pm

* I have a question about the irregular verb 持って motte. From what I gather, motte iru means to have, motte kuru means to bring. Would motte kimasu be the correct way to conjugate motte kuru? Anything else that I should know about?
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 03.28.2009 8:23 pm

Disco wrote:* I have a question about the irregular verb 持って motte.

It's not an irregular verb; 持って is the regular -te form of 持つ.

From what I gather, motte iru means to have, motte kuru means to bring. Would motte kimasu be the correct way to conjugate motte kuru?

motte kimasu is the -masu form of motte kuru.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Disco » Sun 03.29.2009 1:22 am

Why thank You Chris. That is what I thought. I find it queer that Genki would put that verb in the irregular, but turns out that the verb motsu is in there as well, as a regular u- verb. Genki loves teaching you things as a whole, rather than breaking it down.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Return to Genki Textbook