Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Weapons

Weapons

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Weapons

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 01.12.2009 3:11 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
NocturnalOcean wrote:Obviously you can always find uses for an object you carry on you. If I start going around with a lasso, I am sure I can find lots of uses for it as well. However I think carrying weapons, blades or whatever does not have any really important use that makes it worth carrying around when you are in the public.
I am grown up in Norway, where carrying weapons are illegal, and I have to admit that makes me feel a lot safer. If I knew that everyone was allowed to carry weapons, no matter how small it was, I would instantly feel a lot less safe.

Well, that would be where we differ. I grew up in a country that allows them. do I feel any less safe? Nope..

I'd like it to be able to carry my sidearm too (pistol) but I am content to using it in the firing ranges etc..

One of my aquantances was arrested and deported from Japan when he had an colt 1911 sent to Japan in pieces.. So, trying to sneak handguns or illegal weapons into country is completely illogical.

But then again USA does have an insane high rate of death and accidents due to weapons. Try compare with countries from Northern Europe where we are not allowed.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 01.12.2009 3:20 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:
But then again USA does have an insane high rate of death and accidents due to weapons. Try compare with countries from Northern Europe where we are not allowed.

I'd have to compare numbers of people and other things, that I'm just that concerned with at the moment. I'm also certain that more people die from poor eating habits or diabetes or from lack of proper healthcare in the US than die from accidental or weapons related deaths.. The US has many flaws with its laws, as I am sure do most countries.. Find me a perfect country .. Please.... :mrgreen: :wink:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Mon 01.12.2009 6:20 pm

BetterSense wrote:I'm an American. Texan actually, by way of Montana. As a matter of course, I have always carried daily several folding knives which are very useful to me. Very often, I carry a handgun which in the freer states of the US is quite legal, if subject to the whimsical and glorious vagaries of federal and state law. .......

Please do the world a favour and stay at home :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby fielle » Tue 01.13.2009 11:50 am

Here is an article aimed towards military in Japan regarding recently enacted laws regarding knives. It looks like you're probably in the clear with owning small folding knives, but you're unlikely to be able to get away with having one on you all the time, as you're not allowed to have a knife for self-defense or weapon purposes, and apparently the police are hard to convince that a knife on you is not for those purposes.

It sounds like you are intend to follow any laws of any places you may go, so I wish you well on your travels and hope you find something else to carry in Japan instead of your knives so that you don't spend the whole time cranky!
fielle

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 01.13.2009 11:59 am

Also keep in mind that in a foreign country, and especially Japan, it pays to stay well on the right side of the law. Even if you're doing something that's technically within your rights, you don't want to be trying to fight the legal system as a tourist or a temporary resident. As Mike said, Japanese prisons are not fun, nor is the Japanese police process even if you are not subsequently sent to jail. The authorities do not need much of an excuse to deport you, and a foreigner carrying a knife, even a legal knife, is not something that they're going to look kindly on. Remember that even if you're doing something legal, your workplace may be able to fire you, and if your job fires you, you have to leave Japan whether you did anything illegal or not. So it's not just a matter of following the law, but avoiding things that will make you look bad or dangerous to your employers.

This is doubly and triply true if you're going to be working around children, such as on the JET program or some other English teaching gig. You would not want to be carrying a knife of any kind, even a butter knife, to school with you. You have to remember that in Japan, people just aren't used to people (other than gang members or policemen) carrying around weapons of any type, even small knives. They just don't have the culture of weapons that we do in the US; that so-called "sword culture" is a thing of the past that now exists only on TV. What may seem to you like just carrying around a modestly-sized utility knife may appear to the Japanese as shocking as walking around with a drawn and loaded AK-47 would be in the US. Growing up in the US, especially where you live, it may not have ever really occurred to you how unusual the 2nd Amendment is -- I don't want to debate the politics of that, but the idea that citizens have a right to carry weapons around is a concept that is foreign and mystifying to many people in the world, including Japanese.

EDIT: One further note; another thing that's easy to take for granted is the concept of standing up and fighting for your rights against governmental interference -- this is something you can do as a US citizen in the US, but when you're in a foreign country on a temporary worker visa, you're not really in a position to do that. I would say that in general, if you have to ask "Will it be legal for me to do this in Japan?" the answer is probably "Legal or not, don't do it." The one exception I can think of to this is prescription medicines; if you need a prescription medicine that's not prescribed in Japan, there are channels you can go through to get that approved.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Tue 01.13.2009 6:19 pm

I think part of the issue is the misrepresentation (and misunderstanding) of a pocket knife as a "weapon."

It's not a WEAPON. It's a freaking TOOL.

Jeez.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 01.13.2009 6:45 pm

AJBryant wrote:I think part of the issue is the misrepresentation (and misunderstanding) of a pocket knife as a "weapon."

Jeez.

Tony

The thing about tools are that they also can serve as weapons. I could go carry around and axe and some people could say that is a weapon, and I could say, hey no, it is just a tool. I might need it in some situations.

I am still of the belief that weather a certain item is a tool or a weapon, I don't see a need to carry around a blade no matter how small or big, in public space. But sure feel free to use your tool at your workplace or at your own home.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Postby richvh » Tue 01.13.2009 6:48 pm

Perhaps the original poster should consider carrying around something that isn't generally considered a weapon - a cane, a walking stick, an umbrella... or just train in unarmed combat.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 01.13.2009 6:56 pm

richvh wrote:Perhaps the original poster should consider carrying around something that isn't generally considered a weapon - a cane, a walking stick, an umbrella... or just train in unarmed combat.

Well I guess weapon discussions will always be futile when discussing with Americans ;) So I will say no more :D
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Postby chikara » Tue 01.13.2009 8:20 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:I am still of the belief that weather a certain item is a tool or a weapon, I don't see a need to carry around a blade no matter how small or big, in public space. But sure feel free to use your tool at your workplace or at your own home.

I have a tool called a Leatherman Wave which includes a knife blade 65mm long. I take it to work every day in my bag and at weekends I sometimes wear it on my belt in its leather pouch. Pre 119 I used to carry this with me when travelling OS and regularly carried it in my hand luggage on internal flights within the USA.

Can this be used as a weapon? Sure, but as others have said so can many "ordinary" objects. Unless the OP walks around with is pen-knives unfolded and readily at hand (tucked in the back of his belt for example) they are not going to be much use as defencive "weapons" should he be suddenly threatened.

If I have just withdrawn a wad of cash from an ATM and turn around to be confronted by someone threatening me and demanding my money I am not going to remove my leatherman from its pouch, unfold it and then use it as a defencive weapon. I am going to use my hands and feet to create an opportunity to flee.

If this person is armed with a knife or a gun then me being similarly armed but without these weapons at the ready is not going to improve my situation.

NocturnalOcean wrote:Well I guess weapon discussions will always be futile when discussing with Americans ;) ....

A sure sign of this futility is when a citizen of the USA is worried about visiting a country like Japan and not being able to take his hand gun and knives.

Like you I do not live in a gun culture however I have lived for a short time in the USA. I find this mindset of many that if I am carrying a hand gun no one is going to mess with me and therefore I am safe(r) incredulous.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 01.13.2009 8:42 pm

AJBryant wrote:I think part of the issue is the misrepresentation (and misunderstanding) of a pocket knife as a "weapon."

Even so, I would not want to try carrying one with me at all times as a foreigner in Japan. But I'm not big on knives so maybe I just don't understand it.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.14.2009 9:22 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:
richvh wrote:Perhaps the original poster should consider carrying around something that isn't generally considered a weapon - a cane, a walking stick, an umbrella... or just train in unarmed combat.

Well I guess weapon discussions will always be futile when discussing with Americans ;) So I will say no more :D

Take the knives away from some people and they will use a chisel, or a screw driver, ice pick or some other tool, that wasn't designed to be stabbed into someone to inflict harm or intimidate someone else..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.14.2009 10:59 am

chikara wrote: I find this mindset of many that if I am carrying a hand gun no one is going to mess with me and therefore I am safe(r) incredulous.

Psh, that mindset makes perfect sense! Just ask Plexico Burress.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.14.2009 11:36 am

keatonatron wrote:
chikara wrote: I find this mindset of many that if I am carrying a hand gun no one is going to mess with me and therefore I am safe(r) incredulous.

And thus we come full circle to the point.. Objects don't kill or harm people, but people kill people. And regardless of the situation/country, if a person gets it into his mind to kill someone, they will use whatever they can, poisons, chemicals, tools, clothing, whatever to fulfill their need.

Shooting oneself with their own gun is just plain stupid.. Especially when you realize it discharged as he grabbed it when it started to fall down his pants.. lol. (yes, my example is completely extreme.) :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 01.14.2009 11:44 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

And thus we come full circle to the point.. Objects don't kill or harm people, but people kill people. And regardless of the situation/country, if a person gets it into his mind to kill someone, they will use whatever they can, poisons, chemicals, tools, clothing, whatever to fulfill their need.

Shooting oneself with their own gun is just plain stupid.. Especially when you realize it discharged as he grabbed it when it started to fall down his pants.. lol. (yes, my example is completely extreme.) :mrgreen:

It's given that sick people will always find way of doing harm. What I object against is the mindset of the need to carry weapons on you. I just cannot see any reason for carrying a weapon in public space. It is also about limiting the possibilites of accidents, or other kind of usage happens. In a situation where a person carry a knife, that person is more likely to use it in a wrong way than a person who carries nothing.
Carrying weapons can be a very evil circle. People will start carrying them for self-defense, then others will also feel the need to carry weapons for their self-defense, and you just entered the bad circle. You can draw parallels to the world wide conflict about carrying nuclear weapons.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan