Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Weapons

Weapons

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Weapons

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.14.2009 11:52 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:
It's given that sick people will always find way of doing harm. What I object against is the mindset of the need to carry weapons on you. I just cannot see any reason for carrying a weapon in public space. It is also about limiting the possibilites of accidents, or other kind of usage happens. In a situation where a person carry a knife, that person is more likely to use it in a wrong way than a person who carries nothing.
Carrying weapons can be a very evil circle. People will start carrying them for self-defense, then others will also feel the need to carry weapons for their self-defense, and you just entered the bad circle. You can draw parallels to the world wide conflict about carrying nuclear weapons.


Or there are those that have been taught how to use their knives in a safe manner. I carry a knife and to be honest, I've never even had the notion to pull it out to protect myself from harm. I mean, sure, I could hurt someone with it, but the time it took to get it out, I'd already be hurt. I use my knife to cut string, rope, plastic chords, or to clean my fingernails. I use it to open boxes or to cut something. I'd hardly call it a weapon to be honest. Now, I have fixed blade knives (that I use for skinning animals or preparing meat, when I am out hunting, but I'd never consider carrying that on my person (and in most states I couldn't as it's over 8 inches in length and the blade is over 5 inches). In most states it is illegal to carry that on your person.

I consider the training I received in the army to be good enough self-defense against most attacks. If the attacker has a gun or knife, I can still defend myself and need no weapons but my body. (obviously, disarming the attacker would be paramount to success against an armed assailant.)

here are some knife safety articles.

http://www.crossroadsbsa.org/pathfinder ... Safety.pdf

Boy Scouts had to show they knew how to use a knife safely and when they did, they are issued a card stating they know the safe way to use a knife. For me, a pocket knife (swiss army style) Image has been a part of my life from the age of 6 or so. Whenever I joined cub scouts. We were taught that our knife was a tool and was meant to be respected and handled safely. I can't speak for everyone, but that's where I'm coming from.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Weapons

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 01.14.2009 12:40 pm

keatonatron wrote:
chikara wrote: I find this mindset of many that if I am carrying a hand gun no one is going to mess with me and therefore I am safe(r) incredulous.


Psh, that mindset makes perfect sense! Just ask Plexico Burress.


Who the heck names their kid Plexico? It sounds like some kind of plastics or chemicals company.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Weapons

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.14.2009 12:45 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
chikara wrote: I find this mindset of many that if I am carrying a hand gun no one is going to mess with me and therefore I am safe(r) incredulous.


Psh, that mindset makes perfect sense! Just ask Plexico Burress.


Who the heck names their kid Plexico? It sounds like some kind of plastics or chemicals company.


I won't get into how that happens, but names like shanaynai, mishawna, da'shandra etc aren't any better.
Oh and his name is really Plaxico, not that it makes it any less odd.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Weapons

Postby AJBryant » Wed 01.14.2009 3:22 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:The thing about tools are that they also can serve as weapons. I could go carry around and axe and some people could say that is a weapon, and I could say, hey no, it is just a tool. I might need it in some situations.

I am still of the belief that weather a certain item is a tool or a weapon, I don't see a need to carry around a blade no matter how small or big, in public space. But sure feel free to use your tool at your workplace or at your own home.



My counter argument would be *anything* in the world can become a weapon. I can break your legs with a baseball bat or a car. I can bash in a head with a book, or even a doll. I can stab you to death with a corkscrew or a screwdriver.

When people stop wussing out on perceived threats of normal day-to-day objects, we will once again be civilized.
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Weapons

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.14.2009 4:06 pm

AJBryant wrote:
NocturnalOcean wrote:The thing about tools are that they also can serve as weapons. I could go carry around and axe and some people could say that is a weapon, and I could say, hey no, it is just a tool. I might need it in some situations.

I am still of the belief that weather a certain item is a tool or a weapon, I don't see a need to carry around a blade no matter how small or big, in public space. But sure feel free to use your tool at your workplace or at your own home.



My counter argument would be *anything* in the world can become a weapon. I can break your legs with a baseball bat or a car. I can bash in a head with a book, or even a doll. I can stab you to death with a corkscrew or a screwdriver.

When people stop wussing out on perceived threats of normal day-to-day objects, we will once again be civilized.


You Barbarian, Tony.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Weapons

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 01.14.2009 4:10 pm

Ah well, as long as Americans keep their weapons or tools or whatever in their own country, I won't say much.
But I have to say I am a bit worried when OP says he wanna bring weapons into Japan, and that he cannot imagine a life seperated from his knife.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

Re: Weapons

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.14.2009 4:29 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:Ah well, as long as Americans keep their weapons or tools or whatever in their own country, I won't say much.
But I have to say I am a bit worried when OP says he wanna bring weapons into Japan, and that he cannot imagine a life seperated from his knife.


He can want to all he wants. First he won't get any of them through customs. And he will be going through a very strict customs in Japan. Have faith Nocturnal. I'll not bring any of my weapons to any other country I visit, unless I visit that country in the uniform of the USArmy.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Weapons

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 01.14.2009 4:37 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
NocturnalOcean wrote:Ah well, as long as Americans keep their weapons or tools or whatever in their own country, I won't say much.
But I have to say I am a bit worried when OP says he wanna bring weapons into Japan, and that he cannot imagine a life seperated from his knife.


He can want to all he wants. First he won't get any of them through customs. And he will be going through a very strict customs in Japan. Have faith Nocturnal. I'll not bring any of my weapons to any other country I visit, unless I visit that country in the uniform of the USArmy.


I didn't mean I am afraid he actually will do it, it was more like I find it scary that people have such mindsets.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

Re: Weapons

Postby spin13 » Wed 01.14.2009 5:25 pm

I routinely carry a sword in Japan. As dictated by Japanese law, it is accompanied at all times by a copy of it's registration papers and, while these papers attest only to the legitimate construction and history of the sword itself, one does not want to be caught without them. When being transported, the sword is placed in a cloth bag which is then tied and put into yet another bag (zipped or tied). Many people also tie the sageo (下緒, a cord attached to the sheath) to the handle of the sword, adding an additional step hindering the drawing of the sword. I also carry a small membership card (会員証) with a photograph that matches my Alien Registration Card, my address and contact information, and that of the organization chair/my instructor along with his seal. This card indicates that I am carrying the sword for the practice and preservation of Japanese traditional martial arts and provides the means to have this confirmed.

Even for those who only carry imitation swords, authorities at either the Nippon Budokan or the All Japan Kendo Federation (I forget which) are now supplying and recommending signed and sealed documentation. Because imitation swords are not otherwise registered but look nearly identical to a real sword, the documentation affirms that it is not a sharp blade and the blade does not contain ferrous materials.

I do not know the law regarding smaller, non-traditional blades. However, I feel that context is key. You're going to look less suspicious carrying dangerous tools if you're wearing work clothes and near a construction site. I'm likely to have less trouble explaining myself with a bag full of hakama, keikogi, knee pads, and other martial arts training equipment in addition to the above precautions and certificates. Walking around with a knife (legal or otherwise) in your front pocket because sometime, somewhere you might cut rope is not sufficient context.

two_heads_talking wrote:He can want to all he wants. First he won't get any of them through customs. And he will be going through a very strict customs in Japan.

I think you overestimate the quality of or, at the very least, consistency of Japanese customs. I still recommend the OP not even try, though.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04.06.2005 9:38 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Weapons

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 01.15.2009 9:50 am

spin13 wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:He can want to all he wants. First he won't get any of them through customs. And he will be going through a very strict customs in Japan.

I think you overestimate the quality of or, at the very least, consistency of Japanese customs. I still recommend the OP not even try, though.

-Eric


The Japanese Customs has been extremely thorough on every entrance to Japan for me. Of course it has been over 10 years now since I was in Japan, so perhaps things have changed. Perhaps, I am that one guy, that no matter what customs, I get the nod when I walk through and all the punches come out.. lol
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Weapons

Postby chikara » Thu 01.15.2009 7:39 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:...... Perhaps, I am that one guy, that no matter what customs, I get the nod when I walk through and all the punches come out.. lol

When they first introduced random screening for explosives residue in this country some years back I was pulled aside three times in about eight passes thru' security. On the third occasion, after testing negative, I asked the security guy what it was about me that made me stand out from the crowd. He assured me it was just a coincidence.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: Weapons

Postby keatonatron » Thu 01.15.2009 10:51 pm

I've always come into Japan quite easily, never had my bags opened. Going the other way isn't as simple though. Once I tried to simplify my story for the customs officer in Canada (because I was flying into Canada so I could drive into the US, then come back to visit a friend in Canada before going back to Japan, where I live but don't teach English)... Of course, simplifying things means I couldn't easily answer his specific questions, so I was sent to the in-depth screening area :shock: My brother waited for me a long time that day...
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Weapons

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 01.16.2009 9:08 am

I've had my bags searched everytime. I've been interrogated 3 times.. The first time, they asked for a translator, when I told them I didn't need one, they brought in 2 and instead of a regular customs agent, I got one of the head honchos.. I guess they figured a US soldier that could speak and understand Japanese, and had 2 duffel bags and 1 suitcase and a laptop was something they wanted to know more about. I missed my plane out of Japan, which was payed for by the military, and let me tell you, it was not easy getting another flight out, as I had to wait for the Army to drag their feet. Basically, I stayed 2 more days and flew out with the 5th ID (from Hawaii). I almost had to go back through customs too.. Talk about rediculous.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Weapons

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 02.12.2009 4:28 am

To go back to the common objects thing and knives..surely I can be put straight about this..but sure anything can be made into a weapon. But I mean how many people are stabbed, threatened, or whatever related to objects the most other than guns? I would have to say a knife. So people making laws I'd imagine would have to say, "hmm, well to make sense of this, maybe regulations on knives should be put into place." I mean, I'm really on board with the knives being a useful tool thing. Sure, we're not all MacGyvers, a knife surely can help us in situations where we need it. My best friend is actually a nut about knives, pocket knives, whatever. He as at least six in his jeep. Being friends with him for over 10 years, I've seen him put it to good use, more than I've seen him never have too however. I may not know much about knives but, what couldn't you do with a small pair of scissors(not counting things like swiss army knives as that hasn't been brought up)? Sure its different and using a knife may be easier, but I think mixing the fact of having the right to carry a knife and it being a godsend of a tool are kind of getting mixed up. I'm on the fence, I believe people should carry knives, but it seems the rest have ruined it for you, in the sense that knives are very commonly used weapons other than guns? Knives seem more like a cultural thing more than their lure as a tool that is completely necessary. I'm not a person to place stereotypes but just for the sake of the argument, living in America i can honestly see and pick out a person and say, "yeah, he probably carries a pocket knife." Is it seriously, seriously, that important? Id have to think no. Again, don't get me wrong, you don't bother me by carrying your knife.
User avatar
burstandbloom
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue 11.08.2005 1:11 am
Location: 枚方市
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Weapons

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.12.2009 8:28 am

Maybe you could get a machete and chop that block into a couple or three paragraphs.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests