Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is Japanese THE MOST DIFFICULT LANGUAGE?

Is Japanese THE MOST DIFFICULT LANGUAGE?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Re: Is Japanese THE MOST DIFFICULT LANGUAGE?

Postby KanjiHanzi » Thu 01.15.2009 3:23 am

Sairana wrote:I think I went to highschool with the guy in that photo.

Bet it's you holding the hammer, isn't it? Can recognize a playground bully just by the nasty smell.

And hey Rich, Man of Peace: Where are you now with your many HOSTILITY flags? Learning how to spell to FAIRNESS in Japanese? Ohhhhh, it's not in your English-Japanese dictionary?!?! Not surprised.
The Kanji Hanzi Hub - http://kanjihanzi.blogspot.com/ - All about Kanji and Hanzi
KanjiHanzi

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.15.2009 3:41 am

KanjiHanzi wrote:

Bet it's you holding the hammer, isn't it? Can recognize a playground bully just by the nasty smell.

And hey Rich, Man of Peace: Where are you now with your many HOSTILITY flags? Learning how to spell to FAIRNESS in Japanese? Ohhhhh, it's not in your English-Japanese dictionary?!?! Not surprised.

KanjiHanzi, I've had a few complaints about you (after noticing your bad attitude in this thread personally a few days ago). Either shape up your attitude or I will personally ban you. This is your only warning (from me).

I think you've had more than enough warning from the moderators and you still seem to be trolling at this point, egging them on to ban you. I'm stepping in to say clearly that if you don't stop, I'm not going to post images, or imply a threat. I'm saying perfectly clearly; if I think you're causing trouble 1 more time, I'll ban you permanently. You've had a number of days now to get this out of your system and shape up. That time is now past.

Clear?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby ss » Thu 01.15.2009 3:48 am

Kanjihanzi wrote:
AJBryant wrote:Once again, I find my finger hovering.

Bet it does. Please, push that button.

I took a look at the RULES page:

clay wrote:3: Do not use offensive language. Treat other people with respect. Many people find the abbreviation 'jap' offensive. Please refrain from using it.

What about OFFENSIVE IMAGES??? SILLY IMAGES??

AJBryant wrote:When you write, please write with proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. In short, like a literate adult instead of a text-messaging chimpanzee.

You've always kept up High Literary and Academic Standards here, like in your HEISIG IS THE DEVIL post in the past. Or am I remembering wrong? But what about image-dumping gorillas?

Kanjihanzi wrote:

I don't know you, but reading all your posts here, I can tell that you are a trouble maker.

Yudan san is right, you don't know what you are talking!! Period!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby KanjiHanzi » Thu 01.15.2009 4:13 am

phreadom wrote:KanjiHanzi, I've had a few complaints about you (after noticing your bad attitude in this thread personally a few days ago). Either shape up your attitude or I will ban you. This is your only warning.

Bad attitude?? Before you do something rash, consider this forum as Clay's place. He's the Big Boss and in my opinion a very kind and sweet person I wish all the best. Perhaps you should consult with him before doing something you most likely will regret? Why hurt HIS good reputation here?

With this as MY only warning: Make my day and ban me. Without giving any kind of rationale re why I should accept all these guys breathing down my neck as soon as I post and just turn my belly up: More, more. Sorry. I have never accepted schoolyard/playground bullies jumping all over ANYBODY, so why should I accept it now?

So by all means: Shoot from your hip and add theJapanesePage.com forum as yet another place where freedom of speech and expression is getting a bad rap. With the exception of aggressive and repressive messages, of course.

(No, Don't make my day and don't shoot from your hip. Don't want that, really. Just stop pushing me around, that's all I ask for. The one and only person that will gain ANYTHING from you banning me is your truly, and I am sure you don't want THAT to happen, do you?)

PS: Since people don't have the guts to vent in public re their "complaints" I will offer public complaints: I think RichV, Sairana, two_heads_talking and AJBryant has been violating traditionally established NETIQUETTE and the forum rules at this very place.
The Kanji Hanzi Hub - http://kanjihanzi.blogspot.com/ - All about Kanji and Hanzi
KanjiHanzi

Postby KanjiHanzi » Thu 01.15.2009 4:19 am

KanjiHanzi wrote:.... consider this forum as Clay's place. He's the Big Boss .....

At least he was the owner of theJapanesePage.com domain, the last time I looked, and is the very person paying the bills here. Has it changed? Has he sold this business?
KanjiHanzi

Postby KanjiHanzi » Thu 01.15.2009 4:26 am

"It is a truism that the only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing."

How absolutely true! But, wait, who is the guy deciding what is evil and what is good??? You?

Just a troublemaker asking silly questions.......
KanjiHanzi

Postby hyperconjugated » Thu 01.15.2009 4:30 am

KanjiHanzi wrote:Bad attitude?? Before you do something rash, consider this forum as Clay's place. He's the Big Boss and in my opinion a very kind and sweet person I wish all the best. Perhaps you should consult with him before doing something you most likely will regret? Why hurt HIS good reputation here?

With this as MY only warning: Make my day and ban me. Without giving any kind of rationale re why I should accept all these guys breathing down my neck as soon as I post and just turn my belly up: More, more. Sorry. I have never accepted schoolyard/playground bullies jumping all over ANYBODY, so why should I accept it now?

So by all means: Shoot from your hip and add theJapanesePage.com forum as yet another place where freedom of speech and expression is getting a bad rap. With the exception of aggressive and repressive messages, of course.

(No, Don't make my day and don't shoot from your hip. Don't want that, really. Just stop pushing me around, that's all I ask for. The one and only person that will gain ANYTHING from you banning me is your truly, and I am sure you don't want THAT to happen, do you?)

PS: Since people don't have the guts to vent in public re their "complaints" I will offer public complaints: I think RichV, Sairana, two_heads_talking and AJBryant has been violating traditionally established NETIQUETTE and the forum rules at this very place.

You've caused friction on the separate forums now. Maybe it's you that needs to do some introspection. Not the other way around.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.15.2009 4:34 am

KanjiHanzi wrote:
phreadom wrote:KanjiHanzi, I've had a few complaints about you (after noticing your bad attitude in this thread personally a few days ago). Either shape up your attitude or I will ban you. This is your only warning.

Bad attitude?? Before you do something rash, consider this forum as Clay's place. He's the Big Boss and in my opinion a very kind and sweet person I wish all the best. Perhaps you should consult with him before doing something you most likely will regret? Why hurt HIS good reputation here?

As you seem to want to remain here, I'll put it this way... this is Clay's website and he is one of the nicest people I know. But you must admit that you've basically been stirring up trouble in this thread and taunting the moderators etc. I can understand a bit of your frustration with the authorities here, as I think many of us have been rubbed the wrong way at times, and I know that I personally have had my run-ins with moderators on other forums in the past.

However... I did weigh those factors. It still seems to come down to the fact that in spite of the fact that the moderators here can be abrasive and a tad lacking in netiquette at times, it doesn't change the fact that you've been intentionally egging them on. That's just a bad idea. And it's not just the moderators. I've had several users complain to me about your attitude in this thread.

So can you be adult enough to let it slide and be a little less confrontational about the topic here? Even if the moderators rub you wrong, basically saying "go ahead, ban me!!" and pointing out all the ways in which you think they're violating the rules etc... it's not the way to solve the problem.

If you have an issue with the moderators, either message Clay personally, or post a well written critique in the "Problems" section of the forum. I think you get the idea.

I'd have been more understanding if I hadn't heard that you've already been banned on other forums for the same kind of behavior, and you clearly have been stirring up trouble in this thread and intentionally pushing people's buttons... trying to rebel against authority and test the limits of what you can get away with.

Like I said, I know the moderators may have their own faults and rub people the wrong way sometimes, but you seem to have come in here looking to pick a fight, and I've allowed this bickering to go on for days because the moderators were allowing it, and I don't like to moderate... it's not really my "job" here. But once I started getting complaints about you, that made it my business. If you think we're being unfair, then you can plead your case with Clay. I've already pointed this thread out to him (and the other mods) and showed him the post I wrote above and asked for his (and their) opinions on the matter.

I also suggest that you read carefully what you wrote above and try to note the same behavior in that message as you've displayed in previous posts in this thread. I understand you feel like you're being bullied by the authorities, but being rude and begging to be banned... just not a good idea. I personally hope we can resolve this politely, like adults, and that you will become a part of this community.

(And if you hadn't basically taken back your sniping above, I'd have banned you for this post. So I'm glad you corrected yourself and tried to explain your point a little more rationally. I can be reasonable.)

EDIT: As I go to post this, I see you still pushing your luck. I'll give you the grace of letting you read this post and think it over. But know that you're skating on thin ice, and after I post this, I expect no more of that attitude, so if I see one more of them... it's ban time. OK?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby KanjiHanzi » Thu 01.15.2009 4:35 am

hyperconjugated wrote:You've caused friction on the separate forums now. Maybe it's you that needs to do some introspection. Not the other way around.

Partly true .... Despite obviously popular belief, I try do some introspection EVERY day. But in this particular thread I've not had too much time for such a luxury. Seven pages. One person here. How many there? Time is limited, but hopefully I will be able to take up my introspection habit sooner or later, hopefully sooner.
KanjiHanzi

Postby ss » Thu 01.15.2009 4:51 am

Kanjihanzi wrote:
"It is a truism that the only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing."

How absolutely true! But, wait, who is the guy deciding what is evil and what is good??? You?

Just a troublemaker asking silly questions.......

See how you reacted? Is that all you have?
If something happens to go against what you expect here, why have you come?
Go elsewhere and stop worrying, TJP has its good reputation even without you around.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby katafei » Thu 01.15.2009 5:20 am

Maybe it's time to lock this thread, as no good will come from any further discussion?
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby KanjiHanzi » Thu 01.15.2009 5:21 am

phreadom wrote:As you seem to want to remain here, I'll put it this way...

To be perfectly honest: I am not entirely sure, now, if I DO want to remain here. The continuation will decide that for me.

phreadom wrote:So can you be adult enough to let it slide and be a little less confrontational about the topic here? Even if the moderators rub you wrong, basically saying "go ahead, ban me!!" and pointing out all the ways in which you think they're violating the rules etc... it's not the way to solve the problem.

I just don't have the time or energy to find the most "diplomatic" and politically correct way to solve this kind of issues.

phreadom wrote:If you have an issue with the moderators, either message Clay personally, or post a well written critique in the "Problems" section of the forum. I think you get the idea.

I do get the idea, and will consider those alternatives.

phreadom wrote:I'd have been more understanding if I hadn't heard that you've already been banned on other forums for the same kind of behavior, and you clearly have been stirring up trouble in this thread and intentionally pushing people's buttons... trying to rebel against authority and test the limits of what you can get away with.

I quit rebelling against authorities at about the same time you were born :mrgreen: I am "merely" defending my own very right of FREE SPEECH. Nothing less. Nothing more.

I think it's important to get ALL the facts straight. Here is my first entry here some 18 months ago:

The ingenious Heisig Method
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8755&hilit=Heisig

It's really not much different from what I've been trying to do this time around: Discuss stuff that really interests me.

So what happened when "I got banned from the other forum"? I merely posted some new experiences I've had and some conclusions I had arrived at. You will not have trouble finding this particular thread, despite richv not allowing me to mention it here. Fact. Not beating a dead horse or flogging a poor dog or whatever....

The particularities of That Provocation was simple as Apple Pie: I questioned some of the more popular ideas about how and when the Heisig method should be used, EXACTLY as stated in both Remembering the Kanji and the newer Remembering the Hanzi. I simple got concerned about the fact that some people seemed intent on starting all over with RtH, despite already learned all the Kanji in RtK!! I consider this an utter waste of time. I also considered the advice to ENTIRELY skip the reading even when learning Mandarin/Hanzi as very BAD advice.

During the time I've spent with Mandarin I find that adding the reading/sound to new characters are not at all interfering with the learning process. On the contrary I find it ADDS yet another dimension for the memory to add hooks, so to say. I learn quicker. I learn more by skipping ONE central Heisig "rule". Neither have I any use at all of following his 1-2042/3000 approach again. I know the 2000+ (probably more like 2500 soon) Kanji well enough to freely navigate the mine field, so to say.

That's about it. But I DID NOT allow kids younger than my own son jumping all over me. I got banned. Quite amusing, really. And I still stand with my recent, updated opinion that THIS place is the more gentlemanly of the two :lol:

I am not interested in PR for my blog/project, since there are more time-efficient ways to get that. Really!!! But all the fuzz and fighting that takes place whenever I use my (at least in the USA) constitutional right to open my big mouth, just as any other individual, THAT is very good, but of course unintended, PR :twisted:

But thanks for taking your time for a detailed reply. Very much appreciated, although I didn't agree with everything. As usual. But that's life, isn't it?

Now .... I honestly will close this window and not open a single post from this forum until tonight. Work to do.
KanjiHanzi

Postby Matazi » Thu 01.15.2009 7:18 am

I know this isn't the topic of the thread, sorry.

KanjiHanzi wrote:I am "merely" defending my own very right of FREE SPEECH. Nothing less. Nothing more.

First off, I'll touch upon the fact that while you are most likely indeed located within the boarders of the U.S., and it is your right to communicate freely there;you have to also realize where your speech is posted, and to whom is receiving it. I don't know who, internationally realizes our rights, and who accepts them; but its behavior and attitudes like yours that makes people, more specifically Americans look bad. As someone who is interested in learning about and furthering relations with other cultures (including Japan), it is posting like this that hinders and even counter-acts my; and others' efforts.

If exercising your right to speech is so necessary, I would highly suggest writing in a journal, or a blog, or anywhere the words "Post Reply" or "Start New Topic" doesn't occur. Write an article for your local newspaper. Try and publish a paper. I'm not saying to violate your rights, just to be neighborly.

KanjiHanzi wrote:But all the fuzz and fighting that takes place whenever I use my (at least in the USA) constitutional right to open my big mouth, just as any other individual

I'm going to throw this out there, but bear with me on this one. You're on an internet Bulletin Board System (BBS), aka Forum. The internet is nation-less. Meaning technically nobody owns the concept of a gigantic network of interconnected computers. While, yes the computers have to exist somewhere, right now you, I, and others are in an effectively neutral international zone. While there are rules and regulations concerning Copyright and other personal/created works on the internet, there is nothing that says "Thou shalt speak freely" anywhere in any laws concerning the internet.

Now, the reason I bring this up is: while in specific, this forum is very accessible, flexible, and open; the administrators/moderators have granted users the privilege of talking about what they want in a reasonable way. The thought may rush to you "Hey, if we users weren't here; they wouldn't have any purpose to be here!" Yes, I agree with you. It's a two-way street. While the users do provide discussion/content, the administration has delegated moderators to, well, moderate discussion.

You may notice in the rules that it specifies no discussion of politics or religion. This, is in effect censorship. "Well rarrrrgghhh, I want to talk about [insert hot political/religious topic here]! I'm an American, you can't bar me from what I want to say!"

I'll wrap it up by replying, the administrators and moderators have developed their own community; they can determine the rules and what can be said. They have determined what can be said.

You can have the inner rage that drives you to "fight the power". But don't.

Stop making me, stop making Americans look bad.

That's all.
Matazi

Native language: English

Postby hyperconjugated » Thu 01.15.2009 7:57 am

Matazi wrote:
KanjiHanzi wrote:But all the fuzz and fighting that takes place whenever I use my (at least in the USA) constitutional right to open my big mouth, just as any other individual

I'll wrap it up by replying, the administrators and moderators have developed their own community; they can determine the rules and what can be said. They have determined what can be said.

What Matazi said. You're confusing that TJP as a service provider is somehow obligated to allow any opinions expressed on basis of freedom of the speech. You are free to not partake TJP if you don't agree with its rules. What cannot do is spew out anything you want on someone other's turf and think that it must be published because of freedom of the speech. You can exercise that freedom in your blog until cows come home.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby richvh » Thu 01.15.2009 9:23 am

KanjiHanzi wrote:
AJBryant wrote:Once again, I find my finger hovering.

Bet it does. Please, push that button.

I took a look at the RULES page:

clay wrote:3: Do not use offensive language. Treat other people with respect. Many people find the abbreviation 'jap' offensive. Please refrain from using it.

What about OFFENSIVE IMAGES??? SILLY IMAGES??

AJBryant wrote:When you write, please write with proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. In short, like a literate adult instead of a text-messaging chimpanzee.

You've always kept up High Literary and Academic Standards here, like in your HEISIG IS THE DEVIL post in the past. Or am I remembering wrong? But what about image-dumping gorillas?

Arguing with a moderator about your behavior? You're just begging to be banned, aren't you, so you can go somewhere else to whine about how bad you're being treated. Okay, wish granted. You're getting a week off to reform your ways; if you come back acting the same way, expect it to become permanent.

Giant clue bat: when not one, but three moderators/admins think you're behaving badly, you're not on the side of the angels. (And I highly doubt you're older than Tony or myself, and Phreadom is older than you may think.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test