Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is there a site that can give you example sentences?

Is there a site that can give you example sentences?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Is there a site that can give you example sentences?

Postby Pkmn Trainer Abram » Fri 01.16.2009 1:57 am

Say I were to look in my dictonary or Kanji workbook and wanted to study the vocab word, or kanji in context. Is there a site were you can enter a word in and it will display sentences in proper context using the word?
If Pokemon don't listen, it's a sign that you aren't whipping them enough.-Nuked
Pkmn Trainer Abram

Re: Is there a site that can give you example sentences?

Postby chikara » Fri 01.16.2009 2:08 am

Do you mean something like the example sentences in EDICT?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Pkmn Trainer Abram » Fri 01.16.2009 2:22 am

I forgot all about that site, thank you.
(Watashi wa saito wo wasure, domo arigato)

Sorry about the romanji, I can't type in kana for some reason. Is there a site that has voice samples as well? I know Iknow! does it but it would be nice if the Edict had it as well.
If Pokemon don't listen, it's a sign that you aren't whipping them enough.-Nuked
Pkmn Trainer Abram

Postby richvh » Fri 01.16.2009 7:28 am

Don't forget about ALC
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby yukamina » Fri 01.16.2009 1:14 pm

I've heard some sentences on EDICT are unnatural or have errors.

But, I've found that Yahoo has sentence examples when you use the 和英 search http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/
yukamina

Postby jimbreen » Fri 01.16.2009 5:45 pm

Pkmn Trainer Abram wrote: Is there a site that has voice samples as well? I know Iknow! does it but it would be nice if the Edict had it as well.

WWWJDIC is (hopefully) getting voice samples this year. Watch out for announcements.
jimbreen

Postby jimbreen » Fri 01.16.2009 5:52 pm

yukamina wrote:I've heard some sentences on EDICT are unnatural or have errors.

Generally speaking the sentences in the Tanaka corpus (which is what is used in WWWJDIC) are from Japanese sources (textbooks, etc.) Apart from typos the Japanese is usually not too bad. The English translations occasionally have howlers, but most of these have been cleaned up.

Regular published dictionaries have some bloopers in the examples too. The 4th (1974) edition of the big Kenkyusha 和英 had quite alot, and Kenkyusha went to a lot of trouble to make sure the 5th (2003) edition was relatively free of them.

The Eijiro file (available online from ALC) is a good source of examples, but the English can be rather astray at times.
jimbreen

Postby yukamina » Fri 01.16.2009 6:03 pm

Good to know, thanks.
yukamina

Postby Christine Tham » Sat 01.17.2009 12:21 am

You may already know this, but mlcjapanese.co.jp has a good set of dialogues, plus PDF transcriptions of the dialogues.

They are not isolated sentences, but the dialogues are very short.
Christine Tham

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.17.2009 12:30 am

It's good to work with dialogues when you can anyway, because there are some features of Japanese grammar that are hard to get a handle on just from isolated sentences without surrounding context.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Christine Tham » Sat 01.17.2009 12:43 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:It's good to work with dialogues when you can anyway, because there are some features of Japanese grammar that are hard to get a handle on just from isolated sentences without surrounding context.

I agree. I find that I can remember dialogues better than isolated sentences.

The Bunka Institute of Language has a set of textbooks that are mainly dialogue driven, with drill sentences interspersed. They were recommended to me by the founder of the Japan Seminar House (which administers the JLPT in Melbourne) and used in his classes.

Unlike other textbooks, they feature 3-4 dialogues per lesson, with the drill sentences mainly reinforcing key concepts learnt in the dialogues.

The main problem I find with them is that Book I doesn't really map to JLPT4, and they are very ambitious in terms of teaching Kanji. In Book II, they drop the use of furigana except for the occasional word, so if you don't know a few hundred kanji by then you are going to find the book pretty tough to read. And they don't just drop furigana for simple words, but even for characters outside the JLPT3 study set.
Christine Tham

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips