Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Romaji Chat!

Romaji Chat!

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Romaji Chat!

Postby kurisuto » Wed 01.21.2009 10:20 pm

Yes, and I would add that と思います is more common than と思っています (at least in this kind of context).
kurisuto

Native language: French

Postby Mür » Thu 01.22.2009 7:39 am

kurisuto wrote:Yes, and I would add that と思います is more common than と思っています (at least in this kind of context).

We always use omotteimasu in this context, because when you like a thing, you like it for a long time, so it has its logic. Omoimasu is OK, as well, they would understand
Mür

Native language: Catalan, Spanish

Postby kurisuto » Thu 01.22.2009 11:09 am

I beg to differ, madam.

この料理はおいしいと思います。
日本は物価が高いと思います。

And even in other kinds of contexts :

日本へ行きたいと思います。
この時計を買おうと思います。

Now, the question is : could you use と思っています? Yes, especially in the 2 last sentences I would say. I just think と思います is more common. You can try to google おいしいと思います and おいしいと思っています and you'll see (the number of hits is not hugely greater, but if you look closer, the ones you get with おいしいと思っています are in fact most often おいしいと思います). One thing I know for sure is that I was taught to use と思う in most instances (and that's what I read/hear most often). I may be wrong though (the "te iru" form can be pretty tricky sometimes...).
kurisuto

Postby richvh » Thu 01.22.2009 11:27 am

と思っている seems to me to be more tentative than と思う; something to use for others' thoughts, or for your own when you don't have a strong opinion.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby kurisuto » Thu 01.22.2009 12:11 pm

Ahh, didn't think of it that way, it makes sense. Thanks! Maybe it has to do with something like "I think that ...., and it probably won't change, since it is some kind of perpetual state of mind" (と思う) and "what I can say for now is that I'm (he's) currently thinking that..., but it may change" (と思っている)? I don't know, I may be completely off-topic, just trying to rationalise a language that too often seems to care little about rationalising things (ok, I may be exagerating a little bit, it's not that irrational).
kurisuto

Postby Mür » Thu 01.22.2009 9:10 pm

kurisuto wrote:I beg to differ, madam.

日本へ行きたいと思います。
この時計を買おうと思います。

I suppose it depends on which way you think the sentence (how can I explain this...):

Maybe "omoimasu" is more neutral.. as if you were thinking it as a kind of "in the future I want to go"
and with omotteimasu it's like... you have thought more aobut it, concieved as a longer action, a kind of "I tink this (but I think this since a time ago)" , as if it involved more time in thinking... or a "i'm thinking it right now"

I really don't know how to say this, it is a feeling I have...
Mür

Native language: Catalan, Spanish

Postby Fluffgar » Fri 01.23.2009 2:25 pm

Hajimemashite.

Watashi wa Miranda.

Nihongo ga mada jouzu ja arimasen.

Demo, sukoshi wakarimasu.

Err... I think I got that right. Please correct me if I seem to have made a mistake.
Fluffgar

Native language: English(UK) 日本語

Postby ILuvEire » Sun 02.15.2009 2:10 am

僕はロウマジ嫌いですよ。
Last edited by ILuvEire on Mon 03.16.2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILuvEire

Native language: English; 英語

Postby Hardi_E » Mon 02.16.2009 5:27 am

watashi wa romaji kirai de wa arimasen! desu! watashi wa romnji ga suki desu. dakara watashi no nighongo wa heta desu. kanji wa warui! desu! watashi wa knji ga daikirai desu.
Hardi_E

Native language: エストニアご

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)