Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 十二国記 discussion

十二国記 discussion

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

十二国記 discussion

Postby richvh » Fri 01.16.2009 3:11 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:Placed the order for 風の海 迷宫の岸 now.

Why that book? I'd expect you to start with 月の影 影の海, as that's the first in publication order (with the exception of 魔性の子, which is really a modern-day horror story, rather than the alien world fantasy that 十二国記 proper is.) It's also the start of 陽子's story, which I understand is the heart of the anime.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Re: 十二国記 discussion

Postby caroline » Fri 01.16.2009 3:48 pm

by richvh on 16 Jan 2009 08:11 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:
Placed the order for 風の海 迷宫の岸 now.

Why that book? I'd expect you to start with 月の影 影の海, as that's the first in publication order (with the exception of 魔性の子, which is really a modern-day horror story, rather than the alien world fantasy that 十二国記 proper is.) It's also the start of 陽子's story, which I understand is the heart of the anime.

Well, since I did not choose it either, I just guess : it was assumed they were independant stories. From the two pages I've managed so far, I can't tell yet whether it is so or not .
What would your advice be ?
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby richvh » Fri 01.16.2009 8:00 pm

The novels are mostly independent, but 景麒, the kirin who is the prime mover behind 月の影 影の海 by choosing 陽子 as 景王, also appears in 風の海 迷宮の岸, and 泰麒, the kirin who is the main character of 風の海 迷宮の岸, is mentioned in both 月の影 影の海 and 風の万里 黎明の空 (which continues 陽子's story) and is the center around the mystery of 魔性の子 swirls, and 延麒 and 延王, who help 陽子 win her throne in 月の影 影の海 and appear in 風の万里 黎明の空, are the main characters of 東の海神 西の滄海; the other books I can't talk about, as I haven't read them yet.

The two books about 陽子 are the most wide ranging of the five, as in 月の影 影の海, 陽子 travels across 巧 and 雁 before finally reaching 慶, and while the main story of 風の万里 黎明の空 takes place in 慶, one supporting character travels from 芳 across 恭, 柳 and 雁, while another travels by ship from 才, whereas the action in 東の海神 西の滄海 takes place completely in 雁 (save for flashbacks to Japan of 300 years ago), in 風の海 迷宮の岸, it takes place completely on 蓬山, the mountain in the center of 黄海 where the kirin are raised, and 魔性の子 takes place completely in contemporary metropolitan Tokyo.

Chronologically, 東の海神 西の滄海 comes first, then 図南の翼, 風の海 迷宮の岸, 月の影 影の海, 風の万里 黎明の空, and finally 魔性の子, according to an essay appended to my copy of 月の影 影の海.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby katafei » Fri 01.16.2009 8:43 pm

We decided on this book, simply because the store close to SS did not have part 1 in stock.
Personally, I don't mind which part we read, since it's for practise anyway....it will probably take quite a while to read, so any suspense is left behind, if you get my drift...
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby ss » Fri 01.16.2009 9:17 pm

I think, initially, it was the problem getting the right version, manga or novel. Trouble with getting these books online was, we were unsure which was which.

As I asked earlier, did we need to get the whole series of the books or just picked one, I understood it as, just picked one.

If you have seen the DVD (for me, I’ve also read the Chinese version novel as well) and roughly have some ideas how the stories continue, personally I really think it doesn’t affect much, since our main goal is to comprehend Japanese and discuss JP grammar points, so long as we have one material in hand which everyone feels comfortable with. If everyone is keen to read the entire series, there's different thing to consider, I guess.

I can go down to Kinokuniya again to get 東の海神 西の滄海 if everyone thinks it’s necessarily to start with this book.

Please decide and let me know which one you prefer. Thanks. :P
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby katafei » Fri 01.16.2009 9:43 pm

Let's just stick to this copy....
Surely, if anyone wants to read the other books as well, they can do so anyway, right?
Like you say, it doesn't really affect much.
We just want something fun to read and practise our grammar ^_^

Becki, are you game for joining us as a guiding figure?
Maybe other people as well, taking turns if need be...(not mentioning any names :mrgreen: )?

I guess we had better start planning a bit, although my book hasn't quite arrived yet either.
How about each of us (students) prepare 2 pages for a chat session. Would that be too much or too little?
So far we are 4 people, right?
If I figured out the timezones right:
Gundae = GMT -5
Caroline and katafei = GMT+1
SS = GMT +8 (7?)
(Becki = GMT +9)

So I guess maybe a Sunday GMT 13 / 14 o'clock would be a reasonable time?
Or maybe 6 / 7GMT, depending who are early or late birds....
About 1 to 1,5 hours per chat?
katafei

Postby caroline » Sat 01.17.2009 4:45 am

katafei wrote
Let's just stick to this copy....

Ok by me.

SS wrote
If you have seen the DVD (for me, I’ve also read the Chinese version novel as well) and roughly have some ideas how the stories continue, personally I really think it doesn’t affect much,

I had not even the slightest idea it existed before the book was decided on... but, thanks to Rich and other resources, I guess I will have the means to find out what it is about.

katafei wrote
How about each of us (students) prepare 2 pages for a chat session. Would that be too much or too little?...

More serious, then...
I must admit I have difficulties for now with the vocabulary (and unmemorized kanjis, of course), far more than the grammar points, from the 2 pages I have read (the japanese bookshop around the corner did stock it :) ). So, my dictionnary on one side, and my book on the other, it does take quite a lot of time to go through. But to find interesting grammar points for one chat session, let's hope 8 pages (4x2) is enough!
caroline

Postby phreadom » Sat 01.17.2009 9:00 am

becki_kanou wrote:
katafei wrote:Becki, are you game for joining us as a guiding figure?
Maybe other people as well, taking turns if need be...(not mentioning any names :mrgreen: )?

I guess we had better start planning a bit, although my book hasn't quite arrived yet either.
How about each of us (students) prepare 2 pages for a chat session. Would that be too much or too little?
So far we are 4 people, right?
If I figured out the timezones right:
Gundae = GMT -5
Caroline and katafei = GMT+1
SS = GMT +8 (7?)
(Becki = GMT +9)

So I guess maybe a Sunday GMT 13 / 14 o'clock would be a reasonable time?
Or maybe 6 / 7GMT, depending who are early or late birds....
About 1 to 1,5 hours per chat?

I'm up for GMT 13/14 on Sunday. It's going to be on Pandion correct?
Also, I don't know how much guidance I can give, but I'll try to help as much as I can! :mrgreen:

Should I make a point to be around on chat then as well? In case anyone needs help with it?

That appears to be exactly 24 hours from now (it's 8am here right now GMT-5).
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby richvh » Sat 01.17.2009 3:50 pm

I'll probably drop in. I'm not currently reading it, but (as you could probably tell by my previous comments) I've read that book and several others in the 十二国記 series.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby katafei » Sat 01.17.2009 4:02 pm

You guys are really great!!!

....only, we haven't fixed a date yet :mrgreen:

Two of us don't even have a book yet...
We were waiting for the Chinese New Year.
So, let's introduce a few dates:
February 1th; 8th or 15th, to start off? And then try to make it every other week...?
My vote would go to the 8th, I guess.

How about:
Caroline preprare the first 2 pages, SS the next 2, Gundae the next, and katafei the next 2.
Trying to pin down JLPT kanji and grammar in the text.
All of us would read the 8 pages, of course.

Is preparing some questions a good idea, or do you want to see how this goes, first?

We'll probably have different versions, so I don't know if page numbering is an option....we may have to keep track ourselves.

Calling Tanuki....Tanuki....are you around somewhere??? :lol:
Last edited by katafei on Sat 01.17.2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katafei

Postby richvh » Sat 01.17.2009 4:25 pm

In my copy, the prologue spans the first 6 pages of text. Perhaps a good place to break for the first session is at the section break after the paragraph まっすぐに立ち上がると髪を枝に掬われた。彼女は土を踏んだ四肢とは別の二本の腕で、それを解いた, which is near the start of page 16 in my copy, the 3rd page of chapter 1.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

十二国記 discussion

Postby katafei » Thu 01.22.2009 9:11 am

SS wrote:I'm glad you could come, thank you Rich, Becki and Phreadom!
Time Zone

I can make it on the 15th February 2009, GMT13:00 .
My copy is the same, so it's quite clear to me.

Same here. :)
So, just to confirm, on my part (2 pages), I will start from 第一章、第二段 ??? (2) --- 世界の中央に黄海があった。。。。。。。。。till .... 蓬山は奇岩と無数に枝分かれした小径とで迷路のようだが、実際のところ迷宮に他ならなかった。(Page 23)
Is there a term for those number >>
第一章、1,2、3、4,←
第二章、1,2、3、4,5 ←

My book has arrived today and I seem to have the same copy as you guys.
@SS, obviously I haven't really read anything yet, but I can't find the bits of text you give...
so I'm not sure....
My version page 10 starts with
(子供がこれくらい。。。。。
and page 11 ends with
ふいに。。。。風だった。

Or am I mistaken?

Is everyone else okay with
15th February 2009, GMT13:00 .?
and of course: if more people want to participate, please do!!

Thanks Becki and Rich and Phreadom for the support! We need you!!
katafei

Postby caroline » Thu 01.22.2009 5:20 pm

katafei wrote :
My version page 10 starts with
(子供がこれくらい。。。。。
and page 11 ends with
ふいに。。。。風だった。

My page 10 starts the same as yours; however, after the sentence ending with 風だった, there is another line, starting with 彼はあたり... and ending with そうと思ったから, the だ being on the next page.

I don't find either the sentences quoted by SS in our passages, but the end she quotes is exactly page 23, as she says indeed, but I don't understand how she got that far (I'm envious :D )... I thought she was going just after me!
caroline

Postby ss » Fri 01.23.2009 1:25 pm

Katafei and Caro,
Sorry, please ignore that post.

I'm following this:
Uncle Rich wrote :
I would suggest, person 1 (Caroline?) takes the first 2 pages of the prologue, through (でも、お義母さん、風邪を引いたら)
Person 2 (SS?) takes the next 2 pages, through ふいに首筋に風が当たった。すかすかするような冷たい風でなく、酷く暖かい風だった。, leaving the last line on page 11 (in my copy) to the next person.
Person 3 (Gundae?) takes the remainder of the prologue.
Person 4 (katafei?) takes the start of chapter 1, part 1, to the scene break on page 16 I mentioned before.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby katafei » Sun 01.25.2009 3:51 pm

@Gundae and Becki, is the date good for you as well?
Gundae, did you receive your copy yet?
I've started reading mine. First 2 pages went okay, but the second 2 have some difficult (for me, anyways) sentences.

enough to chat about, I'd reckon.

Have a good week everybody!
katafei

PreviousNext

Return to History and Literature Discussions