Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby Ensomniak86 » Wed 02.23.2005 3:10 am

Personally, I find it easier to remember kanji if I repeat the readings in my head while I draw them. I think drawing the kanji is a fun way to learn and helps with stroke order, etc. Also, try to learn a few of the radicals. They are very helpful if you come across a kanji you don't know and make it much more easier to identify.
Ensomniak86

Postby Daisuke » Wed 02.23.2005 8:47 am

Ensomniak86 wrote:
Personally, I find it easier to remember kanji if I repeat the readings in my head while I draw them.

That's exaclty what i do, and it seems to work.
Daisuke
Site Admin

RE: learning

Postby Paal » Wed 02.23.2005 2:19 pm

looks fair enough to master the 300 first, just gotta get into some of the grammar and (oooh) vocabulary...

Danish eh, should be able to learn some norwegian as well then. Its quite similar...swedish too...
Du får ha det godt, så snakkes vi senere:)
Eg ekkje fra Norge, eg è fra Bergen!!
Paal

Postby Daisuke » Wed 02.23.2005 5:45 pm

Jeg er forfærdelig dårlig til norsk og svensk! :| Rart at se en scandinavier her, heh..
Daisuke
Site Admin

RE: uhh

Postby Y0kur0 » Thu 02.24.2005 4:54 pm

uhh...oops...i just forgot my question;)
Y0kur0

Postby Immagnia » Fri 03.04.2005 6:12 pm

Someone could have mentioned this already, but I tend to skim the posts. I learned ひらがな and カタカナ best with a program called DreamKana ( download it at http://www.dreambreed.com/soft.asp ). I usually use DreamKana to review the two syllabaries because, as someone else noted, they seem to be easily forgotten amongst the 1,000+ kanji you intend to learn. But yeah, I try to get in ten to fifteen minutes every other day (or once a week if I'm bad) and once I'm done reviewing I just pick up with the rest of my Jap. study session.

* I felt more comfortable with DreamKana after first seeing the ひらがな and カタカナ next to their translations on paper.

Also, try to learn a few of the radicals. They are very helpful if you come across a kanji you don't know and make it much more easier to identify.

I agree: it seems easier to form mnemonics when you know something about a kanji's components. I just can't seem to find a nice online source on radicals (at least an introduction). Google is suitable, but it can be very vague with searches and I'm worn out looking (for the time being).

I also recommend this article about components of a kanji ( http://www.kanjiclinic.com/kc60final.htm ). Reading it might give you another way to make some memorization techniques for kanji. I think the more basics one has about kanji, the easier it will be to classify kanji and eventually commit them to memory. But that still won't stop me from investing in "Remembering the Kanji" by Hesig. ;)
Last edited by Immagnia on Fri 03.04.2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Immagnia
Immagnia

Postby Omoidebanashi » Sat 03.05.2005 1:47 am

Immagnia wrote:
I usually use DreamKana to review the two syllabaries because, as someone else noted, they seem to be easily forgotten amongst the 1,000+ kanji you intend to learn.

If you're learning Japanese at school you are given absolutely no chance to forget the kana, because you use them every day. However, I see most of us here aren't.

When you practise writing out Kanji and their details, you should use katakana for the on-yomi and hiragana for the kun-yomi, so you get practice in writing each. Do visit random Japanese websites often and try to read what they say :). Even if you have little luck with understanding full sentences (like me), you'll get practice at reading the kana (and, more to the point, Kanji).

If you want, keep some katakana flashcards in your desk drawer (because even I after 2 years choke on some of them) to refresh yourself every now and then. If you are learning Kanji by the masses, and it sounds like you are, you should have hiragana down well.

Just some ideas...
Omoidebanashi

Postby Kodi » Sun 03.06.2005 6:43 pm

Hello, my first post here hehe.

I learnt hirigana first, well, I say I learnt... I didn't realy because I kept on forgetting them lol. Then I found this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/4770020686/qid=1110148443/sr=8-10/ref=pd_bbs_10/103-5546125-4641465?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
So I began learning Kanji alongside hirigana. It is a nice book, big, but cheap too. Good value as it realy describes stuff well. Just a shame it lacks an easier way to learn the actual kanji apart from mere repetition hehe.
I then learnt Hirigana properly (I realised learning Kanji before I had mastered hirigana was silly lol. I now consider myself fairly fluent in them =). I can't read fast but I never need to look any up which is nice. Katakana isn't too hard to learn. Some are similar. I've converted some of them into objects which I can rememeber. For example: 'Ha' I have made into a hat as the two lines look like the sides of a cowboy hat or something similar. Some I just can't get a picture to go with it but I have done most of them =).
When I actualy sit down to learn them I can do quite well and learn many.
Learning all the Kanji is definately going to be quite a challenge. I have just started goin back to the book to learn some more now. Katakana doesn't appear that much anyway so I can pick that up slower. I hear that Kanji gets easier to learn as you go along? Is that true?

Anyway, it's been fun so far... I hope it stays that way.
Kodi

RE: kanji

Postby blueboy » Mon 03.07.2005 10:05 pm

if anyone wants to learn how to pronounce the kanji symbols go to Japanese-Online.com
\"Do you speak American\"
blueboy

Postby Darkslime » Mon 03.07.2005 10:10 pm

I actually found a really neat kanji quiz-type program, called KanjiGold. It's got an innovative review system. You review the same kanji over and over again, and as you get them right, they move farther down the list. The ones you get wrong go back up to the start, and it'll test you on them most of all, so you can practice the kanji you have trouble with. It's been pretty good, really.;)
Darkslime

Postby Spaztick » Tue 03.08.2005 1:09 pm

Yays, over 1400 views and 40 posts!

So, does anyone here learn the strokes of the Kanji? I don't think anyone would, because if you can do the kanji then you know the strokes if you count them. Seems learning kanji gives you a lot more than just a word.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Ensomniak86 » Wed 03.09.2005 4:35 am

That's another good point. Learn the stoke order for every Kanji you study. It's a good way to look up Kanji in dictionaries, and it makes drawing Kanji more fluid so you don't bounce all over trying to put this line here, that dash there...
Ensomniak86

Postby Ensomniak86 » Wed 03.09.2005 4:40 am

If you draw the kanji while you are thinking of the pronunciations, then you will learn so much faster that way. I said this before and also to learn the radicals. If you can break down a big complicated kanji by its parts, then you'll find it quite easy to recognize. I once learned 10 kanji within one hour this way. It's a very effective method for those who have the time and the effort. I like all the online quizzes and memorization programs, but have you ever tried to draw the kanji after seeing it over and over and over again!? I don't know about you all, but for some of them my mind went totally blank...
Ensomniak86

Postby Daisuke » Wed 03.09.2005 7:37 am

10 kanji in one hour!? That's very fast... You must rewiew alot.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Spaztick » Thu 03.10.2005 10:01 am

It's easy to learn the kanji if you can break down the radicals. I probably know some kanji that I've never seen, and could put them together.

Now knowing the readings with them is another thing. I learn about 5 a day (w/stroke order and the readings)
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN