Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji stroke order

Kanji stroke order

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Kanji stroke order

Postby Budomaru » Wed 11.09.2005 11:20 am

clay,

I've noticed that only the first 100 or so kanji in the lists here have their stroke order displayed in a vid, and i've also noticed that on other sites with kanji lists about the same number of kanji have their stroke details shown and all the rest are skipped. Is this due to design or due to lack of time? in other words, are the rest of the kanji going to have their own stroke order vids some time or are you not planning on something like this?

I cant complain really, both this site and other sites are excellent - just clearing up that i'm not actually demanding that they get their own stroke order vids, just asking so i know.

my newbie opinion is that since making vids (or pics or gifs) for all the kanji is a big pain, it would be good for stroke order details to be displayed for at least those that dont follow general/standard rules in their stroke order (it is helpful to have the first 80~100 kanji with details though and thanks cause i really needed them!).
Budomaru

RE: Kanji stroke order

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.09.2005 11:46 am

The best place to get stroke order info is Kanji Alive http://kanjialive.lib.uchicago.edu/main.php?page=using&lang=en
Though I suggest doing a search on the quicktime site for the standalone version of quicktime. The default one they try to force on you adds itunes and other stuff.

The second best place is Jim Breen's Edic. http://www.wwwjdic.org

Kanji Alive is better because it gives a picture of the kanji in calligraphy and then the stroke order movie is in penji, which is what most of us will be writing in anyway. Since penji and calligraphy are often done differently this is important.
It's also better because it then has several examples of words using that kanji with sound bites which is a big deal when working on your pronunciation.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

RE: Kanji stroke order

Postby Budomaru » Thu 11.10.2005 12:09 am

lol i've googled for kanji but i never ran into kanjialive ^_^ thanks! although its a bit hard to use for offline study and on a 56k connection its definitely going to be helpful eventually. i also didnt know there was an online version of jim breens dictionary lol i'm a stork haha

does a santaijiten have all the joyo kanji with their stroke order details?
Budomaru

Return to Problems