Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do you say I got it....

How do you say I got it....

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

How do you say I got it....

Postby Cherie061403 » Tue 11.01.2005 2:29 pm

I have another question. How do you say "I got it" as in the phone rings and you say "I got it". I know to say that you understand "I got it" is Wakatta. But I use it in both ways, but I don't think this is correct. Another example... if something falls on the ground. I got it. Thanks in advance. ^_^

Instead of starting a new thread! I just edited this one. XP

Answered: (Can someone tell me what daioh means. It seems to be some form of desu. But which one.
Also what does sa mean... usually used at the beggining of a sentence. Does it mean well? though sometimes in anime it's a swear word?
This may be too broad... but often in azumanga daioh I hear ..... "ga na" at the end of a sentence. I was curious what that means.)
Last edited by Cherie061403 on Wed 11.02.2005 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherie061403

RE: daioh, sa... ect ^_^

Postby mandolin » Tue 11.01.2005 3:59 pm

first, you're not hearing daioh, you're hearing "da yo". Similarly, in your last question, I think you are instead hearing "da naa"

Da is the plain form of desu.

Yo is an emotion marker at the end of a sentence. It's somewhat hard to describe what it really means... it expresses the speaker's opinion. Generally the speaker thinks they know about their subject matter better than the listener. It could be translated into english as "you know?"

Naa is also an emotion marker. It expresses strong feeling. It could be substituted with an exclamation point in english.

There's a similar marker, 'ne'. Ne at the end of a sentence is looking for agreement with whatever the statement is, and the speaker actually wants a reply from the people she is talking to. 'na' does not have this requirement, it is used for rhetorical questions, and often used when a character is talking to himself.

'sa' or 'sa~' does mean "Well...."

Don't try to guess the meanings of words from Anime. Fansubbers do not translate word for word, they translate meaning. Good fansubbers also translate style. The same phrase uttered by two different characters can be translated differently based on the translator's artistic impression.

Kenpachi in Bleach might say "urusai" and whitey-chan (can't remember his real name) could also say "urusai". But the fansubber frequently has Kenpachi saying "Shut the hell up already" and whitey-chan says "Zip it." Literally, it means "noisy/loud/annoying/etc" (or "you're [too] noisy").
mandolin

Postby Kates » Tue 11.01.2005 4:37 pm

"Sa" is also used when the speaker is implying "I don't know."
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 11.01.2005 7:52 pm

sa can also be used as a VERY casual sentence connector. You'll get yelled at for using it with anyone of higher social standing, however.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby nprz » Wed 11.02.2005 12:03 am

sa can also be VERY annoying when it is overused by someone. It makes it hard to follow what they are saying as well. I just keep remembering people saying it after every word.
Like, I was walking, like, in the park, and like, this guy, like, totally.... (what?)
nprz

Postby Cherie061403 » Wed 11.02.2005 8:45 pm

Thanks very much guys! ^_^
Cherie061403

Postby Cherie061403 » Wed 11.02.2005 8:48 pm

I have another question. How do you say "I got it" as in the phone rings and you say "I got it". I know to say that you understand "I got it" is Wakatta. But I use it in both ways, but I don't think this is correct. Another example... if something falls on the ground. I got it. Thanks in advance. ^_^
Last edited by Cherie061403 on Wed 11.02.2005 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherie061403

RE: How do you say I got it....

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 11.03.2005 4:00 am

I got it> 私がでるよ. (watashiga deruyo)

That help?
Harisenbon

Postby Cherie061403 » Wed 11.09.2005 2:16 am

Harisenbon wrote:
I got it> 私がでるよ. (watashiga deruyo)

That help?

Deru to come in this sense would mean to do? As in I got it... I will do it.
Cherie061403

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 11.09.2005 3:04 am

Deru in this sense is to exit, or to come out. It doesn't translate well to english in this sense, but it could best be summed up as "I'll go to the phone" or whatnot. Hmm. even that is kind of off..

Let me put it this way, when you go out on stage, you use the deru verb. When you go out and present yourself in some way, you use deru. This is the same usage.

I hope someone else can explain it better than me. :/
Harisenbon

Postby AJBryant » Wed 11.09.2005 11:27 am

Let me put it this way, when you go out on stage, you use the deru verb. When you go out and present yourself in some way, you use deru. This is the same usage.

I was working up a reply and then I read yours. Heck, that's good. :)

One thing I frequently tell people who are familiar with a word having one meaning (e.g., "deru = go out") and encountering it in some idiomatic usage and wanting to know "how this would translate here..." I tell them *DON'T TRANSLATE IT. You're speaking Japanese, not English. This is what the phrase means here. THat's all that matters."

People will drive themselves insane if they expect literal word for word translations. What would they make of that "yoroshiku onegai shimasu" that everyone learns on day one, for example?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Cherie061403 » Wed 11.09.2005 3:02 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Deru in this sense is to exit, or to come out. It doesn't translate well to english in this sense, but it could best be summed up as "I'll go to the phone" or whatnot. Hmm. even that is kind of off..

I hope someone else can explain it better than me. :/

Wow... thats perfect thank you. Makes complete sense. ^_^
Cherie061403

Postby tkbits » Thu 11.10.2005 4:08 am

When it doesn't mean "to go out", "deru" may mean "to appear", it can be from a hidden place, or the appearance can be from the state of invisibility. Just stepping in front of an open doorway it will make you "deru" (appear) to the person on the other side. Stepping through the doorway is optional. I would guess that when you start to talk on the phone you "appear" on the phone.
tkbits

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems