Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My Japanese Coach -- "Cheat"

My Japanese Coach -- "Cheat"

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

My Japanese Coach -- "Cheat"

Postby Sairana » Thu 01.29.2009 7:49 pm

For people who have My Japanese Coach on the Nintendo DS, and are disappointed that you have to spend SO much time doing lessons you already know, I did some research and found out from the programmer that he put in a "cheat" that allows you to skip lessons, but it's Ubisoft's sole decision to dispense the cheat to the general public.

SO.. I contacted Ubisoft support, and lo and behold, they have no problems giving it out, and they didn't say I couldn't share it, so here's the code:

"You must hold L+R for five seconds in the dictionary after you find the verb conjugation screen for the word "to cheat."

You'll hear a sound effect confirming the activation of the cheat. [the sound effect is the woman saying the word]

You must then go into the sound options menu and press [the R button to unlock 1 lesson at a time, and press the L button to unlock 50.]"

Hope this helps some of you.

To get to the conjugation screen (this works for all verbs):

Tap References, then Dictionary. Make sure the "EN" button is highlighted, then tap Search. Use the keyboard to type in the word "cheat", and tap Enter. There should be a "V" next to the dictionary entry. Tap the "V" and you'll be in the conjugation chart where you need to be.

EDIT: Fixed the instructions, they were a little wrong from Ubisoft. My additions/changes are in [brackets].
EDIT2: Added how to get to the conjugation chart.
Last edited by Sairana on Fri 02.06.2009 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Re: My Japanese Coach -- "Cheat"

Postby CerpinTaxt » Thu 01.29.2009 10:07 pm

Oh wow this information is really going to help. I initially got the game (from a friend, thank god I didn't spend money on this) for a little bit of supplemental practice, of what I'm unsure about, but the early lessons were just to basic. Now I can actually use it as a supplement instead of dredging through the simple lessons! Thank you very much.
The stars can only get closer, they can only get brighter...
CerpinTaxt

Postby Sairana » Fri 01.30.2009 3:22 am

CerpinTaxt wrote:I initially got the game (from a friend, thank god I didn't spend money on this)

Why? It's only $30. Has a built-in dictionary, phrasebook, and a notepad for handwritten notes. 10K vocab and 1950 kanji (according to the programmer). All of that is worth the price, even considering it was a pain in the butt to have to do minigames for every 10 vocabulary words whether I already knew them or not. :P
Sairana

Postby kilometers » Fri 01.30.2009 2:32 pm

Oh wow. Thank you very much for this information. I think I might actually go out and buy the game this weekend knowing that I can skip the easy stuff I already know.
kilometers

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 01.30.2009 3:34 pm

I bought it for my youngest daughter. I'll try the cheat if I want to give it a go. Although, I'd like to work through the programs and see how well or poorly I do. I know she loves mimicing the sound of the ladies voice for each word. She even called me a dog the other day.. She was trying to say "Your dog" anata no inu, but rather said "you are a dog" anata wa inu. I was laughing and she couldn't figure out why until I corrected her.. then she started laughing too.
two_heads_talking

Postby yukamina » Sat 01.31.2009 5:26 pm

So, with this game, are the later levels more kanji based? Do they include kanji at all? (Because what would be the point of learn 10 000 words in kana and romaji?)
yukamina

Postby Sairana » Sun 02.01.2009 3:17 am

yukamina wrote:So, with this game, are the later levels more kanji based? Do they include kanji at all? (Because what would be the point of learn 10 000 words in kana and romaji?)

Sairana wrote:0K vocab and 1950 kanji (according to the programmer).

Some of the games stop using romaji at lesson 30. Some of the games are in romaji forever. Kanji starts at lesson 44. I should probably just polish my rough workup and post it.

I was waiting till I had completed 100-125 lessons (on 77 at the moment), because I want to see the effect having completed the grammar portion has on some of the (somewhat buggy) games.But I could always edit it later. :P I also have been checking kanji stroke orders against my Kanji handbook (Hadamitzky & Spahn) and documenting errors. (Only 4 kanji errors so far).
Sairana

Postby furrykef » Sun 02.01.2009 7:16 am

Sairana wrote: I also have been checking kanji stroke orders against my Kanji handbook (Hadamitzky & Spahn) and documenting errors. (Only 4 kanji errors so far).

Though of course My Japanese Coach has several really bad mistakes with the kana, it could still be the case that the kanji in the game are correct and the handbook is wrong. It's not uncommon for different resources to give different stroke orders. (I know Heisig and Halpern sometimes disagree with each other.)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby kurisuto » Sun 02.01.2009 7:57 pm

I didn't see you had edited your post, seems like the guys at Ubisoft didn't really want to give you the cheat after all :lol:
どうもありがとうございました、Sairanaさん。本当に助かりました。
kurisuto

Native language: French

Postby MarieKawaii » Fri 02.06.2009 4:15 pm

cheat O_O; thats not good XD
MarieKawaii

Native language: Swedish

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 02.06.2009 4:54 pm

MarieKawaii wrote:cheat O_O; thats not good XD

Sure it is. In this case, it allows someone with a higher degree of knowledge the opportunity to bypass the lower level language that wouldn't challenge them.
two_heads_talking

Postby MarieKawaii » Fri 02.06.2009 6:32 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

Sure it is. In this case, it allows someone with a higher degree of knowledge the opportunity to bypass the lower level language that wouldn't challenge them.

hmm thats OK! *nod* good for higher degree of knowledge
not for newbies! I hope newbies don´t do it I think that they don´t learn some things and making it hard for themselves
MarieKawaii

Native language: Swedish

Postby Sairana » Fri 02.06.2009 6:41 pm

I edited the original post to include instructions on how to find the conjugation screen.

Given the nature of the program as an educational tool, this is a self-defeating cheat if you use it when you don't need it.

It would be nice if this was the God Mode of Japanese study, whereby entering the cheat you are automatically granted knowledge of all the lessons you skip, but I have yet to figure THAT one out.
Sairana

Postby kitamichibi » Fri 02.06.2009 8:06 pm

:D Oh thank you, I recently got this game and no matter how many correct answers I give at the first test, I start at Desu. It was rather annoying.
私は弱虫です[わたしはよわむしです]
kitamichibi

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips