Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - intermediate/advanced vocabulary game for DS

intermediate/advanced vocabulary game for DS

Japanese, general discussion on the language

intermediate/advanced vocabulary game for DS

Postby Dehitay » Sat 01.31.2009 5:26 pm

Does anybody know if there is a game for the Nintendo DS that drills your vocabulary at a level higher than Japanese Coach? Considering the DS is both smaller and funner to use than my stack of thousands of flashcards, that would be awesome if it existed. I tried Japanese Coach and found the idea enjoyable, but the level wasn't challenging and some vocabulary was a bit Japanophilish.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Re: intermediate/advanced vocabulary game for DS

Postby wccrawford » Sat 01.31.2009 7:57 pm

You're probably looking for games in Japanese, then, rather than English. JP Coach is the only English-language Japanese game out there. (Except some homebrew that is pretty bad and not what you want, anyhow.)

I suggest some of the kanji or handwriting training ones as they typically have some kind of quiz functionality.
wccrawford

Postby Sairana » Sun 02.01.2009 3:19 am

Dehitay wrote:Does anybody know if there is a game for the Nintendo DS that drills your vocabulary at a level higher than Japanese Coach? Considering the DS is both smaller and funner to use than my stack of thousands of flashcards, that would be awesome if it existed. I tried Japanese Coach and found the idea enjoyable, but the level wasn't challenging and some vocabulary was a bit Japanophilish.

You did all 1000 lessons?
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Kelly Ishii » Sun 02.01.2009 12:08 pm

おす!

I have this for the DS:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-hk- ... -2c9x.html

It gets nothing but rave reviews. It's especially helpful if you've only been learning romaji and ひらがな/カタカナ。

There's also this nifty study tool.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g- ... -198v.html

It's basically an electronic dictionary, and the only complaint most have voiced is that it doesn't reference stroke order, but other than that is regularly cited as a reliable learning tool, and has received nothing but praise, some even going as far as to say it's more useful and, 君にはNintendo DSがあれば、電気辞書の方が安いよりやわ。

There's also another game called あそびにほんご put out by NHK. That's supposed to be very good, as well.

Hope that helps!
(PS: 僕の下手な日本語はすいません。( T_T)
Kelly Ishii

Postby Dehitay » Sun 02.01.2009 3:04 pm

I don't mind a Japanese-English game as long as the set-up isn't beyond my ability to find my way around.

I'll admit I haven't played the whole game. It's just that I played it for an hour and it became obvious nothing new was going to be learned any time soon. It only let me skip 20 or so lessons in the beginning and I don't want to keep doing things I don't find productive for the whatever chance that I might finally come across vocabulary I don't know already.

I already have the Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten and love it. However, I don't think it has any quizzing features. If it does, please let me know. I've only used it as an electronic dictionary. I'll try the other game. It looks like it might be what I want.

Thanks for the help
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby furrykef » Sun 02.01.2009 3:45 pm

Dehitay wrote:It only let me skip 20 or so lessons in the beginning and I don't want to keep doing things I don't find productive for the whatever chance that I might finally come across vocabulary I don't know already.

Then check out this thread. :)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Japanese General Discussion