Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 国民性

国民性

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

国民性

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 02.03.2009 3:13 am

While driving through the relatively remote mountains of northern Kiryu I turned a corner and suddenly found myself about to run over a group of four photographers standing near the side of the road and all very intently pointing their cameras at the same subject.

Now, I am always the last person to know when anything interesting is going on, so I figured they must know something I was missing out on. I stopped to ask what was going on and learned that they were out in search of something to photograph for an upcoming photo exhibition in a neighboring town.

They were all jostling and shoving to get a shot at the exact same あじさい flower (and every last one of them shooting into the sun, no less). I watched with amusement as they quite literally elbowed each other trying to get the exact same shot of the exact same subject. Standing there surrounded by mile upon mile of The Great Outdoors and nothing would do them but to all go out together and all come home with the exact same photo.

My thought was that they should have sent one person out to get the photo while the other three sat somewhere warm sipping tea and munching cookies. The guy who got the photo could make three extra prints and they could all four submit identical photos to the exhibition.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Re: 国民性

Postby furrykef » Tue 02.03.2009 9:42 am

人々は時々論理がありません。 :mrgreen:
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby AJBryant » Tue 02.03.2009 11:36 am

That's just funny. I don't care who you are. That's funny. :)
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.03.2009 12:19 pm

I wonder if this is the standard "not wanting to one up each other" syndrome? If they all take the same picture, then no matter who the boss picks, they all know they did a good job? See, I'd be the odd ball trying to find a better angle, to get a better lighting or shading to highlight a certain part.

I also wonder if they take a picture of that same area, at the same time in the same place every year?

I'm not disparaging them for doing that, just wondering what the mentality behind it is.
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Tue 02.03.2009 12:45 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:See, I'd be the odd ball trying to find a better angle, to get a better lighting or shading to highlight a certain part.

出る釘は打たれる。 :P
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.03.2009 1:21 pm

furrykef wrote:出る釘は打たれる。 :P
If a nail sticks out, it needs to get hammered.. On the same subject, isn't there a kotowaza saying if you keep doing the same thing the same way over and over and expect a different result, you are a fool?

I can't remember to be honest.
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Tue 02.03.2009 1:32 pm

Well, I've definitely heard that expression in English, though it doesn't have a standard proverbial form as far as I know.
furrykef

Postby nukemarine » Tue 02.03.2009 1:49 pm

Is it a proper use of the term "irony" that Mike's photo and story was probably more interesting than the other four managed to get?

THT, I think that's a popular definition of insanity: attempting the same thing expecting different results.
nukemarine

Postby furrykef » Tue 02.03.2009 2:11 pm

nukemarine wrote:Is it a proper use of the term "irony" that Mike's photo and story was probably more interesting than the other four managed to get?

I think it's a perfect use of it.
furrykef

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan