Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Short trip to Japan - worth it?

Short trip to Japan - worth it?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Short trip to Japan - worth it?

Postby KendoForLife » Fri 02.06.2009 3:18 am

Due to extreme work overload all I can take off is a week at a time so for me it's either wait some more years to go to Japan or do short trips. Budget isn't a problem (thank you, overtime!) but I keep hearing that I need to take longer trips in order to really enjoy it. Is that true? Does anyone have advice on taking short trips to Japan?

There are direct flights from Amsterdam to Tokyo so the travelling isn't an issue for me, and I guess Tokyo should be the first thing to go see, especially if you don't have much time but I also want to see a bit of the country life. My must-see is Nikko and Tokugawa Ieyasu's mausoleum so that's a day trip from Tokyo but for the rest I'm very flexible and I just wanna have a good time and see as much as I can ^_^.

7 days would mean effectively 5-6 days actually on location so, that gives me, what, like 3 days in tokyo and 2 day trips somwhere else? So is it silly to go for such a short time and should I wait, or should I take the chance and just go to one area this time and go visit another location next year?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input. The most expensive thing about it all is the flight so going for a short time does sound like a "waste". I just really, really want to go ^_^;
KendoForLife

Re: Short trip to Japan - worth it?

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.06.2009 6:06 am

I would suggest going for a short trip once, and then coming back for a longer trip later on. The first time around, you will probably get a better idea of what you want to do on the second trip, and will have time to plan in advance.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby clay » Fri 02.06.2009 9:03 am

Keat's suggestion sounds pretty reasonable especially if money isn't really an issue. Also Japanese tend to vacation a week to ten days tops. So it isn't too unusual, at least for vacationers from Japan.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Hanaki » Sat 02.14.2009 7:01 pm

I just got back from a 12 day stay(10 actual days) We went to Nagoya, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Kyoto. I was totally tired by the time I got back to the states. I would say you can do those two cites in 5 days and have a great time there. It would be totally worth the money even if for a short trip. It will also give you a better idea of things to do for a much longer trip later in your life.
Hanaki

Native language: Engish

Postby clay » Sat 02.14.2009 8:12 pm

Great! Glad you enjoyed your trip.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Return to General off topic