Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Keyboard?

Japanese Keyboard?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: Japanese Keyboard?

Postby furrykef » Sat 02.07.2009 12:46 am

Sairana wrote:You won't be able to use your Japanese keyboard natively unless you are using a Japanese OS.

Huh? Surely the Japanese Windows uses the same IME and everything? The only difference I know of is you just gotta go through a little extra configuration crap on non-Japanese Windows.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Sairana » Sat 02.07.2009 8:09 am

furrykef wrote:
Sairana wrote:You won't be able to use your Japanese keyboard natively unless you are using a Japanese OS.

Huh? Surely the Japanese Windows uses the same IME and everything? The only difference I know of is you just gotta go through a little extra configuration crap on non-Japanese Windows.

- Kef

As much as I've been able to find out, no, it's not exactly the same. Much like some Japanese software won't run on an English OS, the software just doesn't expect a Japanese keyboard. Sure, you can go to great lengths to make your OS think it's Japanese, but that pretty much FUBARs a lot of your English-language applications and also makes your backslash into the yen symbol... not just on your keyboard, but file paths and crap, too.

Changing your OS like that is a bigger headache than you probably hope it would be. But be my guest.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby furrykef » Sat 02.07.2009 10:06 am

Oh, well, yeah, that's true. Though it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those apps would still be broken on a real Japanese OS, too.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby nelleyz » Sat 05.30.2009 3:01 am

i was wondering if there is a way to find out the exact model number of a laptop keyboard ? I have a Toshiba Satellite P105-9337 and need to change my keyboard (dropped stuff on it). thanks a lot!

Native language: 日本語

Previous

Return to General off topic