Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Greetings from a new member

Greetings from a new member

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Greetings from a new member

Postby Admiral_Kanji » Thu 11.10.2005 3:18 am

I used to study Japanese about 25 years ago but was never able to go to Japan or do much with the language. I've wanted to rediscover Japanese for a long time but only today realized I should see what resources are available on the Internet; I was very pleasantly surprised to find this web site, and now am diving back with an old love! I have forgotten a lot but I look forward to learning this again. It looks like a very friendly place, and I am grateful to find it.

I'm not sure where to begin, so perhaps someone can give me a hint?

So ka--sareba de gozaimasu....
Admiral_Kanji

RE: Greetings from a new member

Postby natemb » Thu 11.10.2005 5:58 am

Welcome! Where you want to start depends on how much you remember. If you don't remember or didn't learn Hiragana and Katakana, I would start there. After that, check out the vocabulary section and the grammar section.

I would also recommend learning kanji along with vocabulary right from the beginning, at least for recognition, but some people like to wait on the kanji because they find it intimidating at first or want to learn spoken Japanese first. Other people are the opposite and learn the meanings of many kanji before they know any Japanese words that use them. That can be useful if you're mainly interested in getting an approximat meaning of written Japanese, to decipher text in Japanese (like recipes or video game text).

I'd also recommend looking through the discussion forum, because many people have written about their favorite approaches to learning Japanese using self-study and online resources.

Good luck with your studies!
natemb

Postby Cherie061403 » Thu 11.10.2005 12:31 pm

いらっしゃいませ
Welcome to this website. There are many useful resources though this site is actually the most useful you wind find. There are many friendly people to help out. And many people who will try to help out evem if they are unsure. ^_^ Also I would like to reccomend a text book. It's called "Japanese for everyone-A functional approach to daily communication". Excellent book that doesn't really sugar coat anything. XP If you want a study buddy pm me.
じゃね
Last edited by Cherie061403 on Thu 11.10.2005 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherie061403

Postby Mariya » Thu 11.10.2005 1:52 pm

Welcome to the site :). If you need anyone's help or have any questions, don't hesitate in asking. We're all here to help each other. ;)
Mariya

Postby Admiral_Kanji » Fri 11.11.2005 11:44 pm

Arigato! I remember some things but I'm treating this as a new beginning. I have no more preconceptions; time and age have worn those away. I'm just a learning sponge with lots of time. Your helpfulness is wonderful, thanks.
Admiral_Kanji

Return to Introductions