Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - TJP iPhone Application Launched!

TJP iPhone Application Launched!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

TJP iPhone Application Launched!

Postby clay » Sun 02.08.2009 9:25 pm

I have exciting news. We have been working on an iPhone/iTouch application for almost a year now. Well, it was actually finished a few months ago but Apple really dragged its feet approving it. But checking on its status this evening, I was pleasantly surprised to see it has been live since Friday.

If you have an iPhone or an iTouch and have the time, PLEASE download the free version and let me know what you think. I am sure there are a few errors we missed!

I would especially like it if anyone could write reviews on iTunes. So far we have six excellent reviews on the free version but none for the paid yet (although nine people bought it last night).

A few excerpts:

"All I can say is WOW! I've used different language apps as far as Korean, French, and Japanese and this app by FAR is the best for what it's made for. Built in study cards/flash, tests, great quality voice to hear pronunciations..."

"This application is the bomb" (apparently this is a good thing since the rest of his review is positive and he gave it a five star rating. :)

"This is the best language program by far. I can't believe this version is even free. Thank you for your generosity and passion about the language."

"I really like this app! It has many of the basic stuff and more advanced as well. The pronunciation is dead on and very easy to understand. Will definitely buy the full version. Great job developers :) Bai Bai!!!"

--
I was bracing for very negative comments, but so far there are none (crossing my fingers and my toes).
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Re: TJP iPhone Application Launched!

Postby Snowflake » Thu 02.12.2009 3:12 pm

I've had a somewhat trying past 6 months. I had to abandon my Japanese studies in order to concentrate on more pressing issues. I've only recently (within the past week or so) been able to re-start, so I came back here to see what was new and to help ease myself back into studying.

Imagine my delight to see this post! I immediately clicked over to ITunes and purchased the full app. I've only had a few moments to play with it, but what I've seen so far has WOW'd me! Thank you so much for creating it! I know I'll be getting a lot of use from it.

For the record, I'm on an iTouch. Not sure if you're keeping records of who is using what but figured you might want to know.
Snowflake

Native language: English

Postby kilometers » Thu 02.12.2009 7:16 pm

I downloaded the free trial but I haven't had too much time to play with it. At first I thought I wouldn't have too much use for it since I'm pretty far into the Genki II book now but I noticed it has a bunch of useful phrases that I haven't learned in class. I'll spend more time with it this weekend for sure. =)
kilometers

Native language: English

Postby clay » Fri 02.13.2009 10:39 am

Thanks!

For the record, I'm on an iTouch. Not sure if you're keeping records of who is using what but figured you might want to know.

That's good to know. Someone called yesterday asking if it worked on an iTouch. I told her my developer said it should, but I haven't tried it myself. :)

Thank you both for downloading the app(s). Please let me know if you have any suggestions or spot any errors. I'm collecting suggestions for the 1.1 release 8)
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Hanaki » Mon 02.16.2009 7:35 pm

I would purchase the pay version but there are a few things that are holding me back. There is no hiragana option only Kanji and Romanji. I'd rather read the word in hiragana than Romanji. Maybe have an option to toggle between hiragana and Romanji.

The person speaks too fast so it is hard to hear on some of them. This is mostly on the ones with more than one word.

On categories slidding your finger across takes you to the next card but not on the flash cards. In flash cards I have to touch that tiny arrow at the top. It would be nice if tapping showed you the answer and slidding took you to the next card.

The home screen looks more like a splash screen.

I do like the app overall. I can see some hard work went into it.
Hanaki

Native language: Engish

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips