Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Weapons

Weapons

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Weapons

Postby BetterSense » Tue 02.17.2009 3:29 am

What I object against is the mindset of the need to carry weapons on you. I just cannot see any reason for carrying a weapon in public space.
and so on....

Look, I don't consider pocket knives weapons. I'm simply a knife enthusiast. I like them, I get good use out of them, I carry them everywhere, and it would be an adjustment to go knife-free. I didn't intend this to become a political thread.

As always, many thanks to Yudan and others. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

I routinely carry a sword in Japan. As dictated by Japanese law....

Fascinating! I love swords. But they are so frighteningly expensive.

I still find it ironic that my favorite knives are made in Seki Japan, yet if I went there I would have to leave them at home.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby Infidel » Tue 02.17.2009 7:35 am

NocturnalOcean wrote: I am grown up in Norway, where carrying weapons are illegal, and I have to admit that makes me feel a lot safer. If I knew that everyone was allowed to carry weapons, no matter how small it was, I would instantly feel a lot less safe.

There is a world of difference between feeling safer and being safer.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.17.2009 9:19 am

BetterSense wrote:
What I object against is the mindset of the need to carry weapons on you. I just cannot see any reason for carrying a weapon in public space.
and so on....

Look, I don't consider pocket knives weapons. I'm simply a knife enthusiast. I like them, I get good use out of them, I carry them everywhere, and it would be an adjustment to go knife-free. I didn't intend this to become a political thread.

As always, many thanks to Yudan and others. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

I routinely carry a sword in Japan. As dictated by Japanese law....

Fascinating! I love swords. But they are so frighteningly expensive.

I still find it ironic that my favorite knives are made in Seki Japan, yet if I went there I would have to leave them at home.

there's no reason to take another person's opinion personally. It's ok to have a difference of opinion....
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Tue 02.17.2009 4:40 pm

bleh, After I replied I saw the date of the post I was replying to and hit delete and submit, apparently the delete post function did not work.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby chikara » Tue 02.17.2009 8:08 pm

BetterSense wrote:.... I still find it ironic that my favorite knives are made in Seki Japan, yet if I went there I would have to leave them at home.

What do you think are the chances of me getting thru' US Customs with a Smith & Wesson MP 40 (standard issue to police officers in this state)? These weapons are made in the USA after all :roll:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby furrykef » Wed 02.18.2009 8:31 am

Yeah, if you change it from a knife into other things, it seems decidedly less ironic: "You mean I can't take this American-made rocket launcher into the U.S.?"

"This marijuana came from Colombia. Why do the Colombian customs guys wanna take it away from me?" :mrgreen:

Yeah, I know, small knives aren't the same thing at all. I was just pointing out that it only seemed ironic because knives seem fairly innocuous; change it to something else and the apparent irony fades away.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 02.18.2009 10:06 am

chikara wrote:
BetterSense wrote:.... I still find it ironic that my favorite knives are made in Seki Japan, yet if I went there I would have to leave them at home.

What do you think are the chances of me getting thru' US Customs with a Smith & Wesson MP 40 (standard issue to police officers in this state)? These weapons are made in the USA after all :roll:

try it, I'd like to see what happens.. Just give me a few days notice, so I can witness a full body cavity search with a military shotgun.. HOnestly, most police carry sig sauers now.. Usually the p229 or p226 styles. Depending if there is a need for concealability. The 9mm version is the most popular. If you are lucky, the Customs agents might even be carrying Sig and will let you see the service end of the barrel, up close and personal.. lol

although it does seem that police departments are dropping the glock as the favored model and siding either with S&W or with Sig Sauer for the model of choice.

sorry, I get carried away when it comes to talking about firearms. :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Wed 02.18.2009 6:46 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:try it, I'd like to see what happens.. Just give me a few days notice, so I can witness a full body cavity search with a military shotgun..

No way. I doubt I'd even get thru' customs with my Leatherman these days.

two_heads_talking wrote:HOnestly, most police carry sig sauers now.. Usually the p229 or p226 styles. Depending if there is a need for concealability. The 9mm version is the most popular. .....

Not in this country.

The Smith & Wesson MP 40 has only recently been adopted by SAPOL to replace the .357 Smith & Wesson revolver. Victorian Police still use revolvers but are moving to semi-automatics. IIRC they are considering Glock, Heckler & Koch and Smith & Wesson pistols. I believe every other Australian police force, including the AFP, use a Glock.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.19.2009 9:47 am

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:try it, I'd like to see what happens.. Just give me a few days notice, so I can witness a full body cavity search with a military shotgun..

No way. I doubt I'd even get thru' customs with my Leatherman these days.

two_heads_talking wrote:HOnestly, most police carry sig sauers now.. Usually the p229 or p226 styles. Depending if there is a need for concealability. The 9mm version is the most popular. .....

Not in this country.

The Smith & Wesson MP 40 has only recently been adopted by SAPOL to replace the .357 Smith & Wesson revolver. Victorian Police still use revolvers but are moving to semi-automatics. IIRC they are considering Glock, Heckler & Koch and Smith & Wesson pistols. I believe every other Australian police force, including the AFP, use a Glock.

I only mention the 9mm because studies have shown that the 40S&W round is the very high pressures it generates, moreso than the 45 and 9mm by a long shot. This can lead to a greater possibility of casing failure if the specific pistol does not have very good casing support. The S&W and Glock are both notorious for casing failure. In fact the glock is so bad, that even the rent a cops stopped carrying them due to the studies shown to them.

I'll not suggest that every pistol of 9mm is the best, as each pistol has it's own unique charictaristics, but without using ball ammo (like the US military does) the 9mm has as much stopping power as the .357, .40 and .45 rounds.. It'll put you on your backside anyways.. Ball ammo has a much higher velocity and usually lacks the stopping power.. I still can't figure out why the US military is so keen on ball ammo, unless it's that much cheaper.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.19.2009 11:48 am

chikara wrote:

And the Jack Daniel's distillery is located in a dry county.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.19.2009 11:58 am

Mike Cash wrote:
chikara wrote:

And the Jack Daniel's distillery is located in a dry county.

For good reason.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Thu 02.19.2009 6:07 pm

two_heads_talking wrote: I still can't figure out why the US military is so keen on ball ammo, unless it's that much cheaper.

I've never confirmed this, but I was told as a kid that the military chooses the rounds it does because it would rather wound one soldier and put two out of the fight, the wounded soldier and the one that assists him, than kill one soldier, and still have another active soldier.

furrykef wrote:Yeah, if you change it from a knife into other things, it seems decidedly less ironic: "You mean I can't take this American-made rocket launcher into the U.S.?"

"This marijuana came from Colombia. Why do the Colombian customs guys wanna take it away from me?" :mrgreen:

- Kef

Alright, you made me laugh pretty hard there :D
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby chikara » Thu 02.19.2009 7:21 pm

Mike Cash wrote:And the Jack Daniel's distillery is located in a dry county.

Didn't know they still had them in the USA. :shock:

The thing I miss most about living in the USA is that JD was so dang cheap. :cry:
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 02.20.2009 9:40 am

Infidel wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote: I still can't figure out why the US military is so keen on ball ammo, unless it's that much cheaper.

I've never confirmed this, but I was told as a kid that the military chooses the rounds it does because it would rather wound one soldier and put two out of the fight, the wounded soldier and the one that assists him, than kill one soldier, and still have another active soldier.

That's one way to look at it. Of course if the one down, is knocked clean off his feet rather than just a bullet through, it's a whole 'nother story.

I could discuss this with you, but it would be better if we did it by pm.. so as not to derail the thread.

Remember the military went from a .38 calibre to a .45 when they invaded the phillipines because when shot with a .38, the warriors would still kill a few soldiers before dieing, so the bigger calibre, would knock them off their feet and they were pretty much out of action at that point.. It's an interesting dichotomy, regardless of how you look at it..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.20.2009 10:20 am

I'm in support of taking people out of the fight without killing them. :)

Unfortunately, our enemies usually don't think the same way :?
keatonatron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan