Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to learn jlpt gVocabulary?

How to learn jlpt gVocabulary?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How to learn jlpt gVocabulary?

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 02.20.2009 8:38 pm

Are there anybooks that give all the jlpt words in one book with exersizes and examples for each word? I DO NOT WANT A STUPID DICTIONARY!! I've had experience with dictionaries and all they're good for is learning a few words but they don't teach you what you should learn in order. In other words, a way to learn the vocabulary NOT in alphabetic order.
Is there anything that will teach you all the jlpt vocabulary for a specific level in order of importance? Iknow has no Jlpt vocabulary. Someone should make me!
Last edited by kentaku_sama on Sat 02.21.2009 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: How to learn jlpt grammer?

Postby richvh » Fri 02.20.2009 8:41 pm

You'd think there's be a study guide or something.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 02.21.2009 12:57 am

I'm not sure if It would be worth buying it since I don't play on taking the JLPT, I just wanna know enough to pass it.
kentaku_sama

Postby richvh » Sat 02.21.2009 2:01 am

Well, then, my other suggestion would be a textbook. I understand that Genki 1 and 2 combined cover just about everything you need to pass JLPT3.

What level of the JLPT are you looking to "know enough to pass", anyway?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Re: How to learn jlpt gVocabulary?

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 02.21.2009 2:13 am

First level 4 and 3 then I'll try for 2.
kentaku_sama

Postby furrykef » Sat 02.21.2009 3:42 am

If you don't plan on actually taking the JLPT, then I don't think it's really worthwhile to make an effort to learn words in the JLPT order. Just use any good basic resource like Genki or Japanese for Everyone, and learn whatever else you want to learn... then just use the JLPT info to fill in any gaps you have in your knowledge.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Sairana » Sat 02.21.2009 5:28 am

kentaku_sama wrote:Is there anything that will teach you all the jlpt vocabulary for a specific level in order of importance?

How do you qualify important? No one can really say what words are more important than another, that's why you're not finding information that satisfies you.

You're right that a dictionary isn't any good for learning vocabulary... it's a tool to give you a little help when you need it, not a primary study source.

I agree with the others.. you should probably follow a textbook program and learn vocabulary from that. Alternatively, I use My Japanese Coach for vocab now. Works pretty well.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Infidel » Sat 02.21.2009 5:37 am

As mentioned above, a Textbook will teach high frequency words. You can then subdivide textbooks into categories that are more applicable to your needs. A textbook aimed at diplomats and buisnessman vs. a textbook designed for college students. Both will target different vocabulary.

Barrons Japanese Vocabulary is nice because it has words divided into lists by category. For example, I believe School is a category, so you can get a number of words that are more applicable in a school setting.

Any travel guide is good with targeted vocabulary too.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby astaroth » Sat 02.21.2009 12:12 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:Are there anybooks that give all the jlpt words in one book with exersizes and examples for each word?

You might consider to get a textbook in your native language, for this the Minna no Nihongo series is pretty good. Though the main text is only in Japanese, you can buy an additional book with translation of the vocabulary and grammatical notes.
As far as I know, the two volumes cover the grammar needed for JLPT3.

kentaku_sama wrote:I DO NOT WANT A STUPID DICTIONARY!!

Could you please not shout?
Also you might not know but dictionaries are never meant as study material, but you might consider to get one. I have the Kodansha Furigana dictionary which is pretty good for me who knows only a hundred kanji. Later on I will probably consider a "real" dictionary.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 02.21.2009 5:49 pm

You might consider to get a textbook in your native language, for this the Minna no Nihongo series is pretty good. Though the main text is only in Japanese, you can buy an additional book with translation of the vocabulary and grammatical notes.
As far as I know, the two volumes cover the grammar needed for JLPT3.

Okay Why are these textbooks to learn japanese only have japanese text? I don't understand the purpouse.
kentaku_sama

Postby astaroth » Sat 02.21.2009 6:23 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:Okay Why are these textbooks to learn japanese only have japanese text? I don't understand the purpose.

Because they're mainly meant to be used in classes, especially those taught in Japan -- of course, I mean Japanese classes for non-Japanese speakers -- with native speaker teachers.
That being said, they're very good.

I used "Japanese for Busy People" which I hated very much, for it doesn't seem to follow any logic, and then "Learn Japanese" which might be good but it's impossible to follow in my opinion if one is self-learning.
Though I didn't like either of them, they were used during a course, so the teacher was there to help us understanding the material.

Now I don't follow any classes (none is available where I live now) and following suggestions of teachers and friends I bought the Minna no Nihongo along with the translation book and the CD's bundle.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby Infidel » Sat 02.21.2009 6:24 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:
Okay Why are these textbooks to learn japanese only have japanese text? I don't understand the purpouse.

Immersion. Keep in mind that Minna no Nihongo is designed for classroom use, so the course assumes you have a teacher reading the Japanese to you and explaining the meaning.

Minna no Nihongo isn't one of the better self-study textbooks, although you can use it for self study, if you get the translations.

Japanese for Everyone, Colloquial Japanese, Ultimate Japanese, Mastering Japanese, Japanese DeMystified, Japanese from Zero are some examples of books designed for the self-study in mind.

Some college level textbooks that keep the self-study in mind and make some allowances for independent use of the textbook materials, or have been found to work for self-study even if they do not are: Genki, Introduction to Modern Japanese, Japanese for Busy People. Speaking Japanese, Elementary Japanese.

Also, on the topic of Dictionaries. While Dictionaries are sub-optimal for learning vocabulary. A good learner's dictionary is a very useful tool. Learner's dictionary are full of high-frequency words. So if you need to look up a word and it appears in your Learner's dictianary, then it is probably a good idea to add that word to your vocabulary. If on the other hand you look up a word and it is not in your learner's dictionary, then you know you can probably prioritize learning another word and not wasting time learning a word you will rarely see.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby astaroth » Sat 02.21.2009 6:50 pm

Infidel wrote:Immersion. Keep in mind that Minna no Nihongo is designed for classroom use, so the course assumes you have a teacher reading the Japanese to you and explaining the meaning.

I agree completely. One of the many reasons I like it is also that it uses kanji from the very beginning (all with furigana of course) which I find important. Even though I might not know the kanji yet, it helps to distinguish words, like 会う and 合う.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips