Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - just an idea or thought..

just an idea or thought..

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

just an idea or thought..

Postby larcen1997 » Mon 02.23.2009 1:23 pm

I was wondering (and if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to yell at me and move it :)) if anyone has (or would be interested in doing) holding an email type lessions using the Genki books. Basically the person teaching would have a good knowledge of the langauge, and all he or she would have to do would be to set up a timeline and grade the assignments. Assignments could be just simply the workbook or it could be something made up by the "teacher" based off what was gone over in the chapter they assigned. Far as the books are concerned I would be willing to scan the books in as PDF books as long as its used for educational purposes only.

Thoughts on this please?
larcen1997

Native language: English

Re: just an idea or thought..

Postby Snowflake » Mon 02.23.2009 3:40 pm

I'm no expert on legal matters, and I'm just a newbie here on TJP, so I can't speak with authority on what is ok to do and what may be a problem, but I'm wondering if scanning the Genki book and workbook might be a violation of some sort. Perhaps you could suggest (require) participants in the class to have access on their own. I know TJP's The Japan Shop has copies (that's where I purchased mine). Look to the upper right corner of this page for a link.

As far as a formal TJP class, you may want to check out the Genki Chatroom. I don't know if it is a formal class, with schedules and homework and whatnot, but it may be a start. I haven't participated in it; I just signed up a few minutes ago. If you follow the sign-up directions, it's super easy to get started. There are several different chatrooms available, in addition to the Lobby. I'd assume the Genki Chat will be specifically geared to folks working through the Genki texts and workbooks. Perhaps you could start there.

In addition, if you're looking for something that is not a real-time chat, there is a Genki section of these forums. Go back to the main Board Index, scroll down a bit and you'll see it there.

My study times are too sporadic to commit to a specific class time right now, but I wish you luck! Have you already started with Genki? I'm still working through Chapter 1 and, at the rate I'm going, I'll be there for quite some time :). But that's ok. I'm having fun and I'm learning, so it's a win-win!
Snowflake

Postby larcen1997 » Mon 02.23.2009 4:07 pm

thanks for the advice and direction. But I dont see a problem in making a PDF and giving it to some people as long as there is no money involved. Its a good way to promote books, if you like it, and think its helpful then you will go buy it. Besides working off a PDF on a computer is a pain the butt. :)
larcen1997

Postby keatonatron » Mon 02.23.2009 4:28 pm

larcen1997 wrote:But I dont see a problem in making a PDF and giving it to some people as long as there is no money involved.

The only problem would be if you copied enough for them to not have to buy the book... And if they are still going to buy the book, then there's no need for you to start copying in the first place :D
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.23.2009 4:42 pm

larcen1997 wrote:thanks for the advice and direction. But I dont see a problem in making a PDF and giving it to some people as long as there is no money involved. Its a good way to promote books, if you like it, and think its helpful then you will go buy it. Besides working off a PDF on a computer is a pain the butt. :)

the problem is that you would be providing copies of material that is copywrited. And anyone with access to those pdfs would just print them and voila, they have a copy of a text book they paid nothing for. The idea is good, with that single exception from my point of view.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 02.23.2009 4:50 pm

larcen1997 wrote:thanks for the advice and direction. But I dont see a problem in making a PDF and giving it to some people as long as there is no money involved.

Unfortunately, the realities of the legal aspects of copyright law are not constrained by your self-serving view of them. Whether money is involved or not has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Its a good way to promote books, if you like it, and think its helpful then you will go buy it.

I'm going to walk into your home at dinnertime each night and take the food off your table to share with my friends. It is a good way to promote cuisine and if we like it we might even go out and buy it sometime.

"Larcen"....you left the "y" off the end of your name.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby larcen1997 » Mon 02.23.2009 8:04 pm

I had a whole thing typed up in response. But forget it, I wasted my time. Sorry for bringing up a horribly thought out idea of stealing.
larcen1997

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 02.24.2009 7:18 am

I was going to ask if you expect the teacher to do all this work for free. But for some reason I felt it safe to presume the answer would be in the affirmative.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby larcen1997 » Tue 02.24.2009 7:22 am

lol funny... Nothing better to do with your life I see..
larcen1997

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 02.24.2009 7:39 am

larcen1997 wrote:But I dont see a problem in making a PDF and giving it to some people as long as there is no money involved.

Well, for starters it's bad for Clay's business (site admin here and the owned of TheJapanShop). I think you should consider that aspect also.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby larcen1997 » Tue 02.24.2009 7:45 am

hyperconjugated wrote:

Well, for starters it's bad for Clay's business (site admin here and the owned of TheJapanShop). I think you should consider that aspect also.

You are right... I didnt mean to insult or take any money from him. Just wanted to help people.
larcen1997

Postby furrykef » Tue 02.24.2009 8:51 am

larcen1997 wrote:lol funny... Nothing better to do with your life I see..

I wouldn't be so quick to bash Mike Cash. He's one of the forum's most valuable members. He's always very blunt, but you get used to it, and most of us here even appreciate it.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Snowflake » Tue 02.24.2009 10:01 am

Aside from the point about the book scanning, Larcen, are you still looking for an online Genki class? I've been thinking about your first post in this thread because I remember having seen some low-cost online classes. I just can't remember the website. I spent some time looking yesterday but I can't re-find it.

From what I remember of the website, the classes are more like tutoring. They're done by webcam (so you'd need to have a webcam). There are many tutors from which to choose and it seems they have varying degrees of proficiency. I'm not sure there is any specific requirement for who can set themselves up as a tutor or what qualifications they must have. The tutors charge anywhere from $10 to $28. I'm not sure if that is per session, per hour or for an entire course. I'm also don't know which, if any, of them teaches from Genki. I'd imagine you and the tutor could work that out. And I'd imagine you'd both have to have your own copies of the books :wink: .

I've seen some of your other posts, Larcen, and you seem very enthusiastic about your Japanese studies. You seem to be looking for other ways to enhance your studies. That's great! Tell you what. I'll keep looking for that site (I hate when I remember seeing something but can't remember where it was!). If I re-find it, I'll post the address. Or perhaps someone else here knows what/where it is. Then you can check it out for yourself to see if it might be of interest to you.

***edit: wouldn't you know, right after making this post, I found the site! It is Edufire. They tutor in more than just Japanese, by the way. My link takes you directly to the Japanese tutors page. However, if you click on their logo, you'll go to their main page. Check out the "What They're Saying" link on that page to see a report done on Edufire by KCAL9 (the CBS affiliate in Los Angeles). The reporter seems to really like the idea! Take a peek and post back your thoughts!***
Snowflake

Postby larcen1997 » Tue 02.24.2009 11:13 am

thank you for the great information and the nice words. thank you for the link as well. I will check it out today!
larcen1997

Postby phreadom » Tue 02.24.2009 1:31 pm

I think soon we will start scheduling more classes in the chatrooms.

We have the webchat setup now to make it easier for people to join and participate. We have logging setup so that the lessons can be referred back to later. We have a few people interested who have the Genki1 books etc.

http://www.thejapanshop.com/home.php?cat=270

I'm personally on page 90 or so and have the main textbook (white cover), workbook (red cover), and answer book (light blue cover). :)

http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php? ... m_Schedule

We'll add the "official" chat schedules there, but you're always free to pop in and see if someone is in the Genki room. SS comes in there most days and is very helpful. :) I'm usually busy working on the site etc, but if we get a class scheduled, or I have some free time, I'll participate too. I'm just a newbie myself though, not a teacher. :)

Hope this helps. :) Let me know if you have any problems getting on the chat etc.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips