Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stopping Points

Stopping Points

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Stopping Points

Postby flagofsurrender » Wed 02.25.2009 10:03 am

I was wondering something today. When speaking, where do you make your pause, if there is one to make.

彼は歴史の本をたくさん持っている。

Using the sentence above, where would you pause when speaking it. At the ’は’ or at the ’を’ or somewhere else?
flagofsurrender

Re: Stopping Points

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 02.25.2009 10:54 am

flagofsurrender wrote:I was wondering something today. When speaking, where do you make your pause, if there is one to make.

彼は歴史の本をたくさん持っている。

Using the sentence above, where would you pause when speaking it. At the ’は’ or at the ’を’ or somewhere else?

I would do it after the は, probably, although after the を is possible too. It's also possible to have no break. However, note that normal speech doesn't always break at convenient places and so you have various conversational strategies to keep things going. For instance, that sentence might actually be spoken something like this:
彼はですね。歴史の本を...あのう...たくさん持っています.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 02.25.2009 11:11 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
flagofsurrender wrote:I was wondering something today. When speaking, where do you make your pause, if there is one to make.

彼は歴史の本をたくさん持っている。

I would do it after the は, probably, although after the を is possible too. It's also possible to have no break. However, note that normal speech doesn't always break at convenient places and so you have various conversational strategies to keep things going. For instance, that sentence might actually be spoken something like this:
彼はですね。歴史の本を...あのう...たくさん持っています.

One can also add another um or ah in there by repeating the last vowel sound at the end of a word.. Of course this is more of a speech crutch and shouldn't be used. You will however, hear it said quite often.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby kurisuto » Wed 02.25.2009 1:12 pm

As Yudan said, it depends on rhetoric/emphasis, and the most common would be to pause after は, but from the grammatical and phonetical points of view, の, を, は, に, で and the other particles are parts of the word it follows, so you have :

彼は / 歴史の / 本を / たくさん / 持って / いる。

It wouldn't be very natural to pause after each of these syntagms, but technically you can.
kurisuto

Native language: French

Postby ILuvEire » Fri 02.27.2009 1:57 am

彼は歴史の本をたくさん持っている。

I almost always pause after the "は" part of a sentence, because after that is where Japanese syntax gets hard. :lol:
ILuvEire

Native language: English; 英語

Return to Japanese General Discussion