Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tai-Chi

Tai-Chi

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Tai-Chi

Postby Kurious » Thu 02.26.2009 12:22 pm

Tai-Chi is an "internal martial arts", from China. I'm currently practicing Yang-style Tai-Chi; I've only been about 10 months into it. Is it easy (commonplace) to find a (hopefully Yang style) Tai-Chi group in Japan? What about when lots of people practice together in the same place, do they do that?
Kurious

Re: Tai-Chi

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.26.2009 12:40 pm

I don't remember seeing any Tai-Chi groups while I was in Japan, but that hardly means they isn't. Lots of groups get together and exercise. In fact, I think alot of larger businesses still start the day off with a little stretching and such.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby spin13 » Thu 02.26.2009 12:43 pm

I've heard from qualified sources that there is quite a lot of good t'ai-chi ch'uan in Japan. In Japanese it is called 太極拳(たいきょくけん). I know there are a couple places to practice Chen style around Tokyo so I'm guessing you can also find Yang style, which seems to be more popular worldwide. Finding them might be the hard part.

There will also be tai chi at many fitness clubs, along with yoga, pilates, etc. I know even less about this because my interest lies mainly in martial arts.

You might also look into Japanese martial arts. Japanese tradition offers a number of "internal martial arts," a host of classical schools (some of which also claim "internal" applications), and of course the ubiquitous modern arts such as kendo and judo.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Kurious » Thu 02.26.2009 2:18 pm

Well, I'd prefer to stick to Tai-Chi (Yang style) since I've already spent some good time on it and I like it a lot. Our sifu (Chinese term; he would be our teacher) actually learned Tai-Chi in China -- he lived there for about 20 ~ 25 years and had about that much practice there.

Thanks for teaching me the Japanese term for it.
Kurious

Postby spin13 » Thu 02.26.2009 2:49 pm

Here's an article I think might be helpful: Get a New Wife.

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you'll find Yang t'ai-chi ch'uan somewhere.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.26.2009 3:49 pm

spin13 wrote:Here's an article I think might be helpful: Get a New Wife.

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you'll find Yang t'ai-chi ch'uan somewhere.

If he doesn't search hard enough, he should get a new wife...
two_heads_talking

Postby spin13 » Thu 02.26.2009 11:12 pm

Well, I was thinking if he searches hard enough, he'll find that he already knows two places. I wonder which he wants more, Japan or Yang t'ai-chi ch'uan? That is assuming, of course, that these questions are born of more than just curiosity.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Kurious » Fri 02.27.2009 9:45 am

I just wanted to know if Tai-Chi is commonplace in Japan or not. I suppose that I could make the assumption that it is indeed commonplace, seeing how Japan is big on martial arts and how close to China they are. Nevertheless, I thought I'd ask. It might be a mistake on my behalf to assume anything, I do not Japan as much as other people. What if the answer was that it is rare to find a Tai-Chi practice for whatever reason? There's nothing wrong with asking. Well, that's what I thought.

And yes, I'm asking only for curiousity at the moment. I would like to visit to Japan at some point, unfortunately, I don't think it would happen soon. If Tai-Chi is not commonplace, then it would have been a good thing to know, for when I decide which part(s) of Japan I want to visit.

I said that I wanted to stick to Tai-Chi in reference to the suggestion that there are other martial arts.

I mentioned that our Sifu has much experience with Tai-Chi in reference to Tai-Chi classes at fitness clubs. Somehow I thought that such class would only be a beginner's class, not that there's anything wrong with it and, of course, I could very well be mistaken.

And what about the reference to that "wife" article? The whole idea is that martial arts require dedication on behalf of the practitioner. Well, of course. And the same thing can be said of most anything. I've been practicing for 10 months already, so what's the point? Are you thinking that I am already at Japan and that I should just get off my couch and search and find a class, instead of asking at the TJP? Or that I should search Internet on my own, unfortunately, I don't know enough Japanese just yet. (And I have searched the Internet for large English Tai-Chi schools in "all" countries. There's one in China, doesn't seem to be too big, but they can take in foreigners and they teach in English. And some months ago in California, a Sifu took in some people for a 6-month dedicated program or so. I forgot the details though.)

Well, I guess that if the practice of large Tai-Chi groups in the mornings were commonplace in Japan, I would have heard about it by now. And judging from the replies, I take it that it shouldn't be an issue to find a good class. That's fine, I suppose then that I learned what I wanted to know. Thanks again...
Kurious

Postby clay » Fri 02.27.2009 11:01 am

My mother-in-law is big into that. While we were there last year, she had a testing. Unfortunately, I don't think she leveled up.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 03.02.2009 1:45 pm

When I lived there, it was mostly modern competition style taiji but there are definitely some traditional instructors.
Not sure if it still exists, but you may want to check out the Japanese Wushu Taiji Federation (JWTF) - they should have a web page if they're still around.
Pork Chop

Postby Kurious » Tue 03.03.2009 7:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I found the web page at http://www.jwtf.or.jp I can see, they have a list of all of the prefecture-level associations along with their contact information. Also, they have some nice videos, if anyone is interested.
Kurious

Postby YoshiKate » Sun 03.08.2009 3:19 pm

Awesome! I'm totally into martial arts(karate and Aikido) and yoga. I want to be a yoga instructor so i can travel and teach it where ever i go. I would like to learn more about tai-chi, the only class i took wasn't as cool as i know it could have been.
YoshiKate

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan