Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Study Habits

Study Habits

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Study Habits

Postby ebo123 » Tue 11.08.2005 8:16 pm

I thought it would be good to make a thread where people can talk about their study habits and give advice to the less-experienced people. Partly becuase it is hard to study a foreign language and getting other ideas will help you find the right one.

So... Feel free to share your study habits and methods.
Last edited by ebo123 on Thu 11.10.2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy today, for yesterday is gone, and tommorow may never come.
ebo123

RE: Study Habits

Postby ebo123 » Tue 11.08.2005 8:20 pm

Personally, I think the most important thing to have is a textbook. No matter how much you use the internet, the best feeling is having a hard copy infront of you.

Studying is very important. I like to try to study ATLEAST 20 minutes a day, if not more. A little bit everyday will make a BIG difference. Trust me, I know 3 about to be 4 languages.

Write it down. I love to write out my vocabulary. It has been proven that writing it down will make you remember it. Also, practice everyday. Look for kanji in everyday.
ebo123

Postby Hatori » Tue 11.08.2005 8:23 pm

study the alphabets first. SO much easier. ^^ (save kanji for along the wasy too though! too much to learn at first!)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby ebo123 » Tue 11.08.2005 8:33 pm

I agree 100%. Take Kanji one step at a time. Think of it as a challange to overcome. It is not all that hard!
ebo123

Postby shikitohno » Tue 11.08.2005 11:47 pm

I'm trying to study about an hour or more a day. I usually miss 2 days a week. Right now, I'm working on my hiragana, and I've learnt to type on the computer in Japanese. I think it's absolutely vital to do two things. A) is to hear and use it repeatedly, and B) is to write it out. That's what Helps me with the Hiragana. By Christmas, I want to know all my kana, and be comfortable with a few kanji. Oh, have a goal for it as well.
Last edited by shikitohno on Wed 11.09.2005 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
shikitohno

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 11.09.2005 12:17 am

My (general) studying schedule:

Procrastinate.
Play Mario Cart.
Talk with my friends and call it studying.
Read a short essay and call it studying.
Complain to my wife that I'm going to fail the Proficiency Exam
Put on bandaides.
Study words using WAKAN (http://wakan.manga.cz/) for about 4 hours straight.
Repeat.

It works prety well for rote memorization of long lists of words (the Wakan part, not the procrastinating or the getting beaten up part)

For reading comprehension, I recommend getting bilingual or Japanese and English versions of a book, and reading them while comparing how the English and Japanese versions differ.

Sorry if that makes no sense. My brain is fried. =/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby sick_puppy882 » Fri 11.11.2005 12:31 pm

One thing that is very important is practice. Practice and practice. Whenever I learn a new word or grammar structure I use it whenever possible.

For the last four weeks I've been studying each day for about 30 minutes or one and a half hour, depends on my free time. I can see the progress already.
Some places are like people -some shine, and some don't
sick_puppy882

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.12.2005 12:47 am

Oh wow, Wakan looks cool. I can't wait to get home to download it.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 11.12.2005 3:09 am

Wakan is cool, and wonderfuly free.

I've also kinda fallen in love with stackz, which is another flashcard program, which offers some nice sorting and testing options that wakan doesn't yet support., Unfortunately it's a little on the pricey side. But there's a 30 day trial that I can use until the JLPT, so I'm milking it for all it's worth.
Harisenbon

Postby mr_pain » Sat 11.12.2005 6:58 am

Study in a way that you enjoy (at least part of the time).

While I do spend part of my study time with my head in a textbook (definately essential - but use one that you actually like), I also spend time watching and trying to understand anime raws and reading imported manga (Im a real beginer though so its sloooowww). I also enjoy cooking so I went shopping at a Japanese store for ingedients and have spent quite a while just reading the packaging.

The above are all ways in which I try to immerse myself in the language in order to tune my ear and expand my understanding.

For reading comprehension, I recommend getting bilingual or Japanese and English versions of a book, and reading them while comparing how the English and Japanese versions differ.

Are there an bilingual books you would recommend Harisenbon?
mr_pain

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 11.13.2005 1:22 am

I'm reading bocchan right now, but Wild Sheep Chase, or other modern novels are also good, I think. Using older books might lead to some problems with older speaking and writing styles, so I think using modern books is better for learning modern Japanese.

I would stay away from English books tranlsated into Japanese, though. They have the problem of sounding rather unnatural when you read them in Japanese, just like when you read Manga in English, the phrases sound unnatural. If you don't mind that, the Harry Potter series is what I started on.
Harisenbon

Postby Txkun » Sun 11.13.2005 6:20 am

Really Wakan is a great program! Thank you very much Harisenbon!
Anyway that's my "study" method...

1 Study an university grammar book
2 Write word lists of items/things I found in everyday life and learn them
3 Watch anime to train ear, try too lookup interesting words
4 Translate a book of folk tales
5 Try to understand you guys talking in chat ;)

My problem is that often I'm come back late from work and/or I'm tired so I do 1,2,3,4,5 in random order and not regularly.

To help me with study I use
JWPCE, the japanese verb deconjugator and mahou online dictionary (http://www.mahou.org/Dict/) but now I'll use Wakan too :D

Good studing minasan!
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Sachi » Sun 11.13.2005 1:52 pm

Hmm... Let's see... I don't really have a "set" schedule heheh. For me, it's more like: "Oh! I think I'll learn some grammar! I'm in the mood for earning some new verb conjugations.." or "Let's learn new phrases!" or "I think I'll learn some new vocab! How about... animals!" or "I should learn some new kanji!" It's pretty random; what I feel like I should know. Then, I'll study them, write them in Hirigana, make flashcards (I make flashcards for everything! keheh ;)), and study them!

For my "speech", I'll listen and try to translate little bits of Jpop songs on my iPod, or I'll just go around naming things and making sentences (e.g. "Oh! Mom made dinner. Dinner is made of food. Food = tabemono. Watashi wa tabemono ga suki desu. [I like food.]" ) ect.
Last edited by Sachi on Sun 11.13.2005 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby CajunCoder » Tue 11.15.2005 1:53 pm

I don't have a text book yet, but I'm trying to get Japanese for Busy People and Genki. Thus far, I've been learning very randomly, and completely unstructured. I use countless sites to study, listen to audio lessons, practice kanji using kanji gold (and soon to be Wakan =p) as well as flash cards, chat online whenever I get a chance, read anything and everything I can which I come across, constantly try to get my brother interested in learning it, and say simple phrases (though, I think he only remembers how to call me "Baka" and "Kechi" for the most part =P)...

And of course, I watch anime - which should be given more credit I think =P
I mean, sure they use a lot of words/phrases you wouldn't hear in everyday japanese, and things that may not be appropriate, but none the less I've learned a lot of commonly used japanese from them. You just have to double check what you're learning... And at any rate, I find it to be good verbal comprehension practice.

I've also started attempting manga... but of course, I don't know enough to make sense of it yet. Sometimes I can get the general gist of whats going on, and catch key words, but for the most part I'm lost. Fun to try anyway, though...

Basically, I take every chance I can to immerse myself in the language. I even renamed all of my desktop icons in japanese...
Last edited by CajunCoder on Tue 11.15.2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby Kates » Tue 11.15.2005 3:31 pm

When you say "Kechi", you mean the guy from "Oh My Goddess!"? (Since you like anime/manga, I'm guessing you probably do.) It is spelled KEIICHI, not Kechi. Unless you want your friend to call you "stingy" (けち). :O
Kates

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips