Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT3 2009?

JLPT3 2009?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT3 2009?

Postby astaroth » Mon 02.02.2009 11:29 am

I guess it's kind of early to start a thread like this, but as Italians like to say "chi buon comincia è a metà dell'opera" (who starts well motivated is half way to the end of the task).

Before asking my question I should say a bit about me ... sorry that won't take long. I've been studying Japanese for a year now, continuously for the first half of 2008, and then because of a moving rather irregularly for the second half. Since a couple of weeks ago, I started from the roots once again (well, without relearning kana). I bought the first Minna no Nihongo and I'm know at lesson 5. I'm studying two chapters a week, plus one of Basic Kanji Book (I studied 70ish kanji so far, plus some more I know from usage).
So, a couple of days ago I had this crazy idea: why won't I try the JLPT exam?
The main reason is to give me direction and a concrete goal for a studying I'm doing by myself (unfortunately no courses where I'm now), plus the idea that having one more language on my cv might help me finding a job when my current temporary one will be over (considering also that Japan has several high level research institutes).

Finally my question.
Is it a reasonable goal 3級 in December '09? Is the grammar part based on both the Minna books? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Re: JLPT3 2009?

Postby coco » Mon 02.02.2009 12:03 pm

これを読む限り、4級レベルは習得できていると思いますし、漢字にも抵抗がなさそうなので、3級ならそれほど無理なく合格できると思います。

出題傾向を見るにはこのスレッド(トピック)が役立つかもしれません。

がんばってください。 :)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby caroline » Mon 02.02.2009 2:34 pm

Is it a reasonable goal 3級 in December '09? Is the grammar part based on both the Minna books? Do you have any suggestions?

I passed 3 kyuu in 2007 with essentially the two Minna, and with not a too bad result either. It is enough.
But I passed 4 kyuu the previous year, with the first Minna, so, I don't know if it is a reasonable goal to jump to 3 級。I guess that it depends on the time you have to study your japanese, and what your goal is (passing the test isn't that difficult, but does not necessarily mean that you truly master what's behind).

Back to the JLPT : you might want to add the kanji list provided by this site to be sure you don't miss any kanji, and, for grammar, a good training would be, once you have learnt the grammar in the Minna,to use something like 完全 Master Series to check your knowledge, and go over the perhaps very few points of grammar not covered in the Minna (there are so little I don't even remenber which).

And don't forget listening practive, since that's tricky!
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby astaroth » Tue 02.03.2009 12:30 pm

coco wrote:これを読む限り、4級レベルは習得できていると思いますし、漢字にも抵抗がなさそうなので、3級ならそれほど無理なく合格できると思います。
出題傾向を見るにはこのスレッド(トピック)が役立つかもしれません。
がんばってください。 :)

cocoさん、いい言葉をありがとうございます (I don't know if this sentence makes sense in Japanese ... I meant "thanks for the nice words" :? )

>caroline
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do the a-kanji-a-day email list.
About the Master Series, is it a textbook? Or a book to prepare for the JLPT? For I can't find on this site store.
Also would you suggest anything particular for listening comprehension? Right now I'm going through the tracks for the chapters I studied on the Minna no Nihongo every day, but I was myself wondering how to increase that ... and I wouldn't count watching anime or dorama as listening comprehension practice :)

I'm still debating whether to go directly to 3kyuu, fortunately I have till this Summer to decide. By the way, I read there is a window of a couple of months to enroll for JLPT, is there a maximum number of examinees? Should one try to enroll as soon as it's possible?
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby caroline » Fri 02.06.2009 6:13 am

About the Master Series, is it a textbook? Or a book to prepare for the JLPT? For I can't find on this site store.

Well, it is a book to prepare for JLPT, with explanations in english for the grammar; you'll find more there :
http://www.thejapanshop.com/product.php?productid=16468&cat=267&page=1

Also would you suggest anything particular for listening comprehension

Well, you have to prepare anyway for the test, so go and find some examples of past listening comprehension. Other than that, there are resources on the web for listening, and references enough on this site. Look at past threads.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby astaroth » Fri 02.06.2009 10:34 am

Thanks, caroline, for all the useful informations.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby farly » Sun 03.01.2009 6:41 pm

Minna no Nihongo I and II have supplements to study oral comprehension. For me, they are very well made (I used to be self-taught too, and work with MnN)

2 lessons a week is alot :) If you can keep up the speed you might actually do 3級 this year, I think.

For preparing 4級 I used the book from Unicom, and was very happy with it. Now, for 3級 I also use theirs. For this level it comes in 2 books, one grammar, and the other oral comprehension. I am again very happy with it, except that I do miss the english supplement. Translating the sentences all by myself is a bit of a challenge :) The books are a bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Also, get the tests of previous years. They come with CD, and are the real thing. For example the test of the year 2007: http://www.thejapanshop.com/product.php ... 266&page=1 Very handy for you, there is 3級 and 4級 in one book.
farly

Native language: スイス語 (ドイツ語

Postby alexdal » Mon 03.02.2009 10:01 am

I do not think you can do the 3rd level in just an year.
sorry i wrote more in italian for him

Non penso proprio che puoi fare il 3o livello dopo un anno.
di solito dopo due anni si fa il 4o livello, e poi l'anno dopo fai l 3° e gli altri ogni due anni.

Per fare a dicembre il 3°, devi essere molto bravo con le lingue straniere.
Conoscere non solo i 300 kanji e 1500 parole ma anche leggerle in un contesto e capire i dialoghi
inoltre devi sapere le regole grammaticali.

se fai da solo a tempo perso e' difficile che ci riesci. pero' se ti metti di impegno e studi tutti i giorni
e parli con giapponesi spesso, allora ce la fai!
alexdal

Postby astaroth » Mon 03.02.2009 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info's.
farly wrote:Minna no Nihongo I and II have supplements to study oral comprehension. For me, they are very well made (I used to be self-taught too, and work with MnN)

I'm actually considering to get the MnN listening comprehension books. I found the exercises the MnN comes with to be very good.
farly wrote:2 lessons a week is alot :) If you can keep up the speed you might actually do 3級 this year, I think.

So far it's mostly a review for me. I've been studying Japanese for a year now and most of the content of the Minna I know already. I think I'll see at what point I'll be around June and decide what level to try.
alexdal wrote:Non penso proprio che puoi fare il 3o livello dopo un anno.
di solito dopo due anni si fa il 4o livello, e poi l'anno dopo fai l 3° e gli altri ogni due anni.

Where do people usually do that? That is, level 4 after two years and 3 after the third?
Also, if I may say, your Italian is quite good, honestly. But in subordinate sentences subjunctive (congiuntivo) is used, so it should be "Non penso che tu possa fare ..." Also Italians are rarely so direct when speaking and especially when writing.

So far I've been studying something like an hour, an hour and a half a day. Plus the weekend (one or both afternoons ...)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby CerpinTaxt » Tue 03.03.2009 12:35 am

astaroth wrote:That is, level 4 after two years and 3 after the third?

4級 after two years, is pretty much overkill. 4級 is very, very basic and doesn't not cover much. After only 4 months of studying (although I had the kana, and few basic grammar structures down from classes- 好き、きらい、xはxです etc.) I took a past 4級 test and it was surprisingly easy. I only managed to get a few wrong on the whole test. The 3級 isn't a huge step up from the 4級 so I think it is perfectly feasible to be able to take the 3級 this year.

Right now I am in the same position as you and hope to reach the 3級 level. Although, I don't plan to actually register and take the "official" test, but like with the 4級 I am opting to take a previous test. I'll have someone proctor to me like if were actually taking the test. It's a cheaper, albeit less accurate,alternative. As a high school student, I don't have too much money to throw around, and really taking the official test won't offer me anything more then a past test will. I only want to take the test to gauge my level and see how far I've come, not to get a certificate. I would be more inclined to take the 2級 or 1級 where it may actually impact me slightly, but i digress.

If you are really unsure it might be better to take a past exam and see how well you do on it. I know there are a few websites that have the past JLPT test papers from every single year and every single level, but I'm unsure about the legality of those sites so I won't link it here. If someone can confirm that these sites are permissible, I'll gladly post them.

がんばってね
The stars can only get closer, they can only get brighter...
CerpinTaxt

Postby astaroth » Tue 03.03.2009 12:25 pm

CerpinTaxt wrote:If you are really unsure it might be better to take a past exam and see how well you do on it. I know there are a few websites that have the past JLPT test papers from every single year and every single level, but I'm unsure about the legality of those sites so I won't link it here. If someone can confirm that these sites are permissible, I'll gladly post them.

Thanks.
That's what I think on doing once I finished MnN volume 1, mostly to gauge my knowledge on a test.
I found sites with examples of the actual test, not the entire test. But I can get from thejapanpage a previous test. (Besides I think it's a good exercise anyway.)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby coco » Wed 03.04.2009 6:44 am

alexdal wrote:I do not think you can do the 3rd level in just an year.

I believe that there are people who deserve to be called a language-gifted.

Of course I don't think everyone can make rapid progress as fast as Hotei-san did, but please read this thread. One year after s/he had gotten JLPT2, s/he achieved a good score in JLPT1.

After all, it depends on talent and eagerness of each examinee. In my opinion, if you are going to take JLPT3 in 9 months, special talent isn't required.
All you need is to continue your studies.

というわけでastarothさん、応援してます。
複数の言語を話せる人は日本語の上達も非常に速いというのが私の印象です。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby astaroth » Wed 03.04.2009 11:53 am

cocoさん、ありがとうございます。

As a conclusive note on this topic, which exceeded my expectation in terms of replies and helps and for which I'm very grateful.
I got a bit upset earlier because in Italian the sentence "Non credo proprio che puoi fare ..." is both a bit rude and too direct (that something I would say to friends whom I know very very very well). Though, I understand alex wrote that with all the best of intentions (as I think I too write similar sentences in Japanese even though I don't mean them).
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby spin13 » Wed 03.04.2009 10:39 pm

If you can find the motivation to read enough, I think you can take a serious stab at 2kyuu in 2009. After motivation the only difficult thing is finding enough material that is both interesting and comprehensible. Time is only a matter of prioritization.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby OitaFish » Fri 03.06.2009 2:44 am

astaroth,

My advice would be to get ahold of some of the past tests for both jlpt4 and jlpt3. They are out there, google can help you find them. Get the vocabulary lists for each level. Several sites have them. The list for jlpt3 is about 1500 words. I used anki to help me learn them. As you learn them, you will also learn the kanji you need. When you have questions about grammar, try Tae Kim's page (http://www.guidetojapanese.org/) - there is enough there for jlpt3 and then some. Beyond that, Unicom and Kanzen have some books to help prepare. I used the Unicom book for listening comprehension a little but honestly, I found the past years tests to be much more helpful.

I think the registration is in August or September. Around that time you will have to determine which level you want to do. At that time, if you think jlpt4 is easy, go for level 3 -- even if you still think level 3 is tough. You will still have a few months to improve before the test.

I think passing jlpt3 in one year is very doable but I do live in Japan so my exposure to the language is probably quite a bit higher than yours...
OitaFish

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test