Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - learn kanji with Yo Mama jokes? Possibly!

learn kanji with Yo Mama jokes? Possibly!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

learn kanji with Yo Mama jokes? Possibly!

Postby kdamage » Mon 03.02.2009 1:05 am

Hi – This is Schultz from Tokyo Damage Report. I hope this thread is the right place to post this. For two years, me and my Japanese friends have been making a free, DIY, online “how to learn kanji” textbook, and now it's finally up. Maybe it could help people who are trying to learn Japanese.

What sets my stuff apart from most of the textbooks/flashcards/websites is that I pay attention to what beginner students actually care about: “Do I really need this one? How can I tell this one apart from that one? What’s that little doohickey on the left side? Which particle goes with this verb?” These are the questions I’m trying to answer.

I’ve worked with 3 Japanese people to rate each of the 2,000 most popular kanji – and each of the ‘example kanji words’ – to make sure they’re all useful. A lot of dumb kanji got thrown out. I write advice on how to use the words correctly so you don’t sound like a noob. The textbook is structured so that the current kanji is always made out of radicals which you’ve already learned. I also have a system of mnemonics which helps you learn the pronunciation, the meaning, and all the radicals, in one English sentence. The mnemonic system is pretty much based on Yo Mama jokes.

Since I'm still developing it, I'm curious what people on The Japanese Page think of it - please try it and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Schultz

kanji textbook is here:
http://www.hellodamage.com/kanjidicks/main.htm
kanji dictionary is here:
kdamage

Native language: english

Re: learn kanji with Yo Mama jokes? Possibly!

Postby chikara » Mon 03.02.2009 1:42 am

よまま jokes :?

kdamage wrote: .......
kanji textbook is here:
kanji dictionary is here:

Those links are the same ;)

You have obviously put in a lot of work but I have no idea who Vince Neal is. In fact, having read the first dozen or so, I found the mnemonics you use rather baffling.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby keatonatron » Mon 03.02.2009 6:19 am

I write advice on how to use the words correctly so you don’t sound like a noob.

That's my biggest fear!
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Mon 03.02.2009 7:34 am

I like the organization strategy you've used. It is definitely different than any textbook out there, and seems incredibly useful and well thought out.

I dislike the foul language. Then again, the shock and/or amusement factor probably would serve as a pretty significant memory aid -- at least until it starts to get old.

The mnemonic system seems to be a modified Heisig, although I think you've also managed to address a lot of the pitfalls I hate about Heisig's system by adding in compounds and demonstrating that the "meaning" or "keyword" you have attached to the kanji don't often apply to actual words they're used in.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good resource. HOWEVER, because of the language used, I'll be particularly careful about recommending it to other students of Japanese. A G-rated version would be nice.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby CerpinTaxt » Tue 03.03.2009 12:08 am

I came across your site awhile ago in a "Learn Japanese Links" post, somewhere on the vast internet. The way it's set it up seems really well done, and even while browsing, from way back then, I managed to retain at least the meanings of some. The intro was also really helpful and gave me info I really didn't have on kanji, also a very enjoyable to read. I've kept your site bookmarked since then, and when I do start "intensive" kanji study I will surely use it as a tool.
The stars can only get closer, they can only get brighter...
CerpinTaxt

Postby kdamage » Fri 03.06.2009 12:53 pm

sairana: thanks for checking it out! There's lots of bad words because normally when people study Japanese they get frustrated and cuss a lot!

cerpintaxt: thanks, and good luck!
kdamage

Native language: english

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.06.2009 5:00 pm

Perhaps, if you put the 'adult language' in a seperate pod and required an birthdate check, that might put to ease some of the concerns..
two_heads_talking

Postby monkeykoder » Fri 03.06.2009 5:28 pm

I'm pretty sure it's an adolescent/adult oriented learning resource I'd say if you're going to suggest it to someone warn them nothing else needed.
monkeykoder

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 03.17.2009 12:36 am

I thought it was really funny, and useful. Offensive terms usually stick in your mind better.
ILuvEire

Native language: English; 英語

Postby kayuu » Tue 03.17.2009 7:27 pm

I did read it; and I thought that the adult language others mentioned would be OTT (and thus not to my tastes) and sometimes, it is. But, I can't deny chuckling my way through it - some of the methods of teaching you've picked up on are things that I'm constantly wondering about. For example, teaching particles with verbs - very good idea! It takes me some effort to figure out how to use certain verbs if I'm not given example sentences, and normal Kanji dictionaries don't provide this. Also, teaching radicals before they appear in other kanji - makes sense to me, always did. Also giving a usefulness rating - very nice feature. Especially if you're trying to learn the language to communicate on a day to day basis as opposed to learning how to pass a test.

I've always praised teaching of language by non-natives, because it's much easier to pick up on what might (or might not be) a good teaching method because you went through the trials and tribulations yourself in the near past and can point out any not quite so obvious pitfalls along the way much better than any native teacher could.

I expect your resource will come in useful to me in the future - thank-you.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips