Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Traditional-Modern Japanese Views

Traditional-Modern Japanese Views

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Traditional-Modern Japanese Views

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 01.29.2009 1:15 pm

The Japanese people seem to center around respect and perfectionism. Even in modern day Japan many Japanese follow these traditional viewpoints. Communication in the Japanese language even shows these traditional views. However, every culture changes with time. This forum was created for the discussion about the traditionalism of Japan and how it has changed. Curiosity and questions are very much welcome in this thread. Those individuals who know about Japan or live in Japan please add or correct the information in this thread as needed for TJP readers.

It seems that many Japanese youth are straying from Japanese traditions. However, when one looks more deeply into actuality you see that in fact these traditions are very much apart of everyday Japanese youth. Japanese youth use gyaru-moji in texts. Quote, "a message typed in gyaru-moji usually requires more characters and effort than the same message typed in plain Japanese. Since writing in gyaru-moji requires extra effort, and due to the perception of confidentiality, sending gyaru-moji messages to a peer is seen as a sign of informality or friendship. The origins of this style is unclear but it has been proposed that magazines targeted at teenage girls first made it popular, and the phenomenon started to gain wider attention in media around 2002." Japanese youth also practice sports such as Kendo which origins are from feudal Japan. Also, many older Japanese peoples have stated, "many Japanese youngsters are becoming more and more interested in their history..."

Those who're experienced Japanese speakers and writers for additional practice please translate your English posts in Japanese.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Traditional-Modern Japanese Views

Postby Infidel » Fri 01.30.2009 10:22 pm

You seem to be making more of a statement than inviting discussion.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Stone_Cold » Fri 01.30.2009 11:39 pm

^o^ I'm trying to make an opening topic.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby Infidel » Mon 02.02.2009 12:40 pm

To make an opening topic you need to ask a question, not make a statement.

e.g. "What do you think about Japanese standards of courtesy and is it relevant to today's society?" vs. "The Japanese people seem to center around respect and perfectionism"

Really, I can't read the OP and even make a guess at what point I should respond to and I'm sure few others can either. That's why you have effectively zero responses. Besides lacking a question to respond to, the first post rambles all over the place and doesn't seem to have any topic. I also suggest dropping the emphasis on certain words, since it makes you sound sarcastic. You also are a newbie on the forum, but you come and and presume to tell others the purpose of the forum "This forum was created for the discussion about the traditionalism..." That attitude is going to turn a lot of people off and encourage them to ignore you. Make concrete statements. Instead of making a general statement "It seems that many Japanese youth are straying from Japanese traditions." define what traditions these youth are straying from.

Ask a question, maybe make a tentative conclusion and support it, then ask for help. At the very least, pick a narrowly defined topic and stick with it so people know what you are getting at. Remember that English writing tradition means your most important points should be at the top of paragraphs and preferably at the top of an article, not buried in the middle. Most people only read the first sentence or two of any given post and move on if you didn't catch their interest. Thus the first two sentences are the most important, and your first two sentences do nothing. People read that and assume your entire article does nothing. Some people might then skip to the bottom sentence since the last sentence is the second most important sentence of an article, but your last sentence doesn't invite a response either.

You might still save this thread and get an interesting discussion going, but that is going to require looking at the OP and making some changes to invite greater interest.
The Japanese people seem to center around respect and perfectionism. Even in modern day Japan many Japanese follow these traditional viewpoints. Communication in the Japanese language even shows these traditional views. However, every culture changes with time. This forum was created for the discussion about the traditionalism of Japan and how it has changed. Curiosity and questions are very much welcome in this thread. Those individuals who know about Japan or live in Japan please add or correct the information in this thread as needed for TJP readers.

It seems that many Japanese youth are straying from Japanese traditions. However, when one looks more deeply into actuality you see that in fact these traditions are very much apart of everyday Japanese youth. Japanese youth use gyaru-moji in texts. Quote, "a message typed in gyaru-moji usually requires more characters and effort than the same message typed in plain Japanese. Since writing in gyaru-moji requires extra effort, and due to the perception of confidentiality, sending gyaru-moji messages to a peer is seen as a sign of informality or friendship. The origins of this style is unclear but it has been proposed that magazines targeted at teenage girls first made it popular, and the phenomenon started to gain wider attention in media around 2002." Japanese youth also practice sports such as Kendo which origins are from feudal Japan. Also, many older Japanese peoples have stated, "many Japanese youngsters are becoming more and more interested in their history..."
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby YoshiKate » Sun 03.08.2009 3:23 pm

A person can right whatever they want in their own post. this is all just for fun.
YoshiKate

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Sun 03.08.2009 6:33 pm

YoshiKate wrote:A person can right whatever they want in their own post. this is all just for fun.

Sure you can write whatever you want. But if you want people to read what you say and respond to it, then you need to follow some conventions.

This post is 3 months old now and the only person that responded to it in a timely fashion was myself. The only other response was a necropost...that's you by the way.

I don't see you replying to the OP either, you replied to me, thus proving my point.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Sairana » Sun 03.08.2009 9:27 pm

YoshiKate wrote:A person can right whatever they want in their own post. this is all just for fun.

What Infidel said. He just gave the guy some tips on how to actually start a forum conversation. I guess if his intent was just for people to read it and walk away, then it served its purpose.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 03.09.2009 9:36 am

If by right, you mean to correct anything in their post, you are definately on the right track. if you mean write, then you've obviously not read the forum rules..
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 03.09.2009 2:32 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

If by right, you mean to correct anything in their post, you are definately on the right track. if you mean write, then you've obviously not read the forum rules..

Write you are, my friend! :mrgreen:
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 03.09.2009 4:09 pm

AJBryant wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

Write you are, my friend! :mrgreen:

Ok, now, that's funny, I don't care who you are.
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Tue 03.10.2009 12:42 am

"You are."

OK, I've written it. Now what?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby chikara » Tue 03.10.2009 1:01 am

AJBryant wrote:Write you are ....

I'm half left ;)

Does that make me one of the semi-departed :?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Tue 03.10.2009 5:05 am

No, that means your mother was a liberal and your father a conservative. :P
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby YoshiKate » Wed 03.11.2009 2:39 am

lol, my bad. write.
YoshiKate

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 03.16.2009 10:41 pm

I find that my thread has become somewhat humorous since I originally posted it. : P My apologies for not stating a more specific topic or question for that matter. It seems I get more centered on the idea than the actual post.

Everyone makes mistakes gentlemen. Sentence structure has nothing to do with an individual’s general intelligence. Accent can effect how one spells and etc… lol However, in some cases it’s still amusing. ^?^

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD!!!
Stone_Cold

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan