Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Work in Japan

Work in Japan

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Work in Japan

Postby babyrat » Thu 03.12.2009 10:18 am

First off, I did do a search for a topic similar to this, but found nothing. So, sorry if this has been brought up before.

I want to go to Japan to study Japanese at uni or a language school, but unfortunately I don't have the money to do this. So I was thinking of going to Japan to work for a bit, and to pick up the language (hopefully). But a major problem is that I have no higher education. My language skills in Japanese are pretty basic. I can get the gist of most sentences, but my conversational and listening skills leave a lot to be desired, which makes this even harder. Are there any sites, or places for me to look for jobs that do not require a higher education? Any advice about looking for jobs would be more than welcome (I know about visa's already). Thanks for any help given.
Last edited by babyrat on Fri 03.13.2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babyrat

Native language: English

Re: Work in Japan

Postby richvh » Thu 03.12.2009 11:06 am

First of all, what country are you a citizen of? That will let us know what your options are. If you're American, your chances of getting a visa that will allow you to work in Japan without any higher education are pretty much zilch.

Second, your search skills are lacking. There have been plenty of threads on working in Japan here.

Third, why not get a job where you are and earn the money to study in Japan, self-studying while doing so? It's got to be easier than working somewhere you don't understand anybody.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby babyrat » Thu 03.12.2009 11:23 am

Sorry about the search skills I will look agian after this post. I am a citizen of the UK, I do have a job here but thats not the point. Im not going over there to make money, its more to learn the language by living there, while having a job to support me. So if i could get a good amount of skill in the language i wouldn't have to go to uni I could just sit a test to set me up for more options. Oh and I self studied for over a year.
babyrat

Postby richvh » Thu 03.12.2009 12:25 pm

So you can take advantage of a working holiday visa (I think it's called) for up to 6 months. I'm not sure what kind of work is available for people with no higher education and minimal Japanese, though. Do you have any skills you can offer a potential employer? I don't think there's much of a market for English-speaking burger flippers or store clerks.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby babyrat » Thu 03.12.2009 12:43 pm

Well my job at them moment is a second chef in a restaurant and I would love to learn how to do proper Japanese food. But agian i have no qaulifications I was just taught by quite a few head chefs. im good at IT but yet agian no qualification. *sigh*. Is there no english speaking agencys for foreigners that can help me search?
babyrat

Postby chikara » Thu 03.12.2009 8:14 pm

babyrat wrote:.... im good at IT but yet agian no qualification. ...

I'm very good at IT and I'm also a reasonable cook :P :D

babyrat wrote:.... Is there no english speaking agencys for foreigners that can help me search?

The existence of English speaking agencies is not the issue. The number of jobs that you, as a non-Japanese speaking Brit with no formal qualifications, are able to do in Japan is zero.

It is not as if there is a labour shortage in Japan at the present.

Unemployment in Japan surged in December
TOKYO, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- Unemployment in Japan climbed at the fastest monthly rate in December since 1967, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications said.

The jobless rate jumped from 3.9 percent to 4.4 percent during the month on a seasonally adjusted basis, the Ministry said. "Employment conditions are worsening in an unprecedented manner," an official said, Kyodo News reported.

Economic and Fiscal Policy Minister Kaoru Yosano called the employment environment "extremely serious." A year ago, 390,000 were unemployed in Japan. In December, that number reached 2.7 million.

I know this is not what you want to hear but unfortunately it is a fact.

A Japanese restaurant was recently opened in my home town which is run by a Chinese chef who trained in Japanese cooking in Hong Kong. If you have a passion for Japanese cooking maybe you could get work at a proper Japanese restaurant in the UK.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby babyrat » Fri 03.13.2009 7:58 am

Thanks for the replys guys. Ive looked around and found a couple of jobs that i could apply for. But im going for the wwoof thing which sounds perfect for my needs. Not sure if i found the link to wwoof on this site but if i did thanks very much to whoever linked it.
babyrat

Return to Japanese General Discussion