Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 自動販売機- Vending Machines

自動販売機- Vending Machines

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

自動販売機- Vending Machines

Postby Kailene » Mon 03.09.2009 12:31 pm

Hey all!

I'm making a youtube series on American and Japanese culture differences. Generally, I'm going to be talking about some not-so-commonly-discussed topics.... the first "episode" will be on vending machines! So basically, I'm looking for any interesting information you guys have on vending machines in Japan (or in America, too, I supposed).

Also, I'm interested on seeing the number of times Americans, Americans living in Japan, and Japanese people use a vending machine in a given week. Thus, if you could state where you're from and an estimate of the number of times, it would be greatly appreciated!

The series will be completely in Japanese, so I'll be sure to post a link when it's finished for all you who want to practice. Also, if you have suggestions on other topics you'd be interested in....

こんちゃ!
今はアメリカと日本の文化の違いについてYoutubeの番組作っています。普通に、人があまり知らないトピックについて話します。第一課のは・・・自動販売機です!だから、自動販売機の面白い情報について知っていったら、教えてください!(アメリカか日本の)

それから、一週間に何回自動販売機を使うことについて知りたいから、できれば、その情報も教えてください!

このインターネット番組は、日本語で、日本語を練習したかったら、リンクをポストします。それから、トピックの提案があったら・・・

よろしくお願いします!☆
日本語好きやからな〜
http://youtube.com/kailenedanae
Kailene

Native language: 英語

Re: 自動販売機- Vending Machines

Postby welldone101 » Mon 03.09.2009 7:35 pm

Aomori-ken, Japan originally from Minnesota, US
Use a vending machine between once and five times a week.
Usually buy hot cocoa in the winter, juice in the summer. There's usually a vending machine every 25 feet, and they usually come in packs of 3 or 4. 99% of them carry the same 20 beverages or are cigarette machines. I've only seen a few that didn't sell drinks. There's one for beer (by the liter) near my house and on the way to work. I've seen ones selling hot food at highway truck stops.
The craziest thing is probably that you can buy like a small, fist sized coke or pepsi for 100yen, or a liter size can for 100yen. Can't drink all the big one or close it again (can, not bottle) so usually everybody buys the small one.
Also there's usually trash cans around them and people almost always stand by them to finish drinking (or sit in their cars) and then toss it and carry on. I always take mine with me and keep moving.
welldone101

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 03.09.2009 8:44 pm

I live in Hyogo in the Kansai Area, but I'm originally from CT in the States.

I work at home, so I don't go out that often so I probably only buy from vending machine once a week on the weekend. My husband (Japanese) always seems to be thirsty though and he'll buy and drink 2 or 3 500ml PET bottles each time we go out. The thing I like the most about Japanese vending machines is that you can get hot and cold drinks from the same machine. It's so lovely getting a little hot can of tea or cocoa to warm your hands with as you drink it on a cold winter's day.

Also don't know if you're aware of this or not, but all tobacco vending machines have recently (I think it was last summer, but I don't smoke, so I may be a little fuzzy on the details.) adopted the Taspo age verification system. If you want to buy cigarettes from a vending machine you must apply for a card which you then insert into the machine each time you make a purchase.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby spin13 » Tue 03.10.2009 8:39 am

I live in Tokyo. I'm also originally from Connecticut.

Recently I haven't been buying from vending machines often enough to give a weekly number, but I used to use them 4-6 times a week. I use vending machines most often inside train stations, though occasionally in office buildings, and greatly prefer machines that take Pasmo/Suica. I rarely use machines outside, though perhaps this is due to the overabundance of convenience stores where I can often pick up a snack as well. When given a choice of stores, I will choose New Days convenience stores because they accept Pasmo and will use a New Days over a cash only vending machine if I have the time.

Cigarette machines are aplenty, but beer vending machines are few and far between in metropolitan Tokyo. There is one machine in my neighborhood (whose ID checker is conveniently turned off) but it is often easier to walk into the liquor store it is in front of and pick up more than one can. Even at night, a 24 hour 99yen shop is right around the corner, so I only use the vending machine to show visitors.

Here's a video of a machine speaking 博多弁. Unfortunately, we don't have any 下町言葉-speaking machines around here.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Kailene » Sat 03.14.2009 3:36 pm

Thansk for the information! I'll be sure to use it~

That speaking vending machine was AWESOME.
日本語好きやからな〜
http://youtube.com/kailenedanae
Kailene

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 03.14.2009 7:08 pm

welldone101 wrote:The craziest thing is probably that you can buy like a small, fist sized coke or pepsi for 100yen, or a liter size can for 100yen. Can't drink all the big one or close it again (can, not bottle) so usually everybody buys the small one.

100 yen drink machines are a distinct rarity in the Kanto area, having pretty much disappeared when all soft drink manufacturers raised prices to 110 yen in 1989. I forget when it was that they then raised prices to 120 yen, but that has also been some years ago. The only 100 yen machines we see around here tend to be privately owned/operated and are most typically filled with stuff from bargain-priced off-brand manufacturers which have no vending network of their own.

I have never seen a liter can of Coke or Pepsi in Japan. Could you post a photo of one, please?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby OitaFish » Sat 03.14.2009 7:59 pm

I live in Oita in Kyushu. I use vending machines all the time at work. We have one break room with about 12 machines in it with anything from water to hamburgers. I typically get 2 or 3 drinks a day so during a 5 day workweek I probably average around 12 or 13 times.
OitaFish

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 03.16.2009 9:42 am

Mike Cash wrote:
welldone101 wrote:The craziest thing is probably that you can buy like a small, fist sized coke or pepsi for 100yen, or a liter size can for 100yen. Can't drink all the big one or close it again (can, not bottle) so usually everybody buys the small one.

100 yen drink machines are a distinct rarity in the Kanto area, having pretty much disappeared when all soft drink manufacturers raised prices to 110 yen in 1989. I forget when it was that they then raised prices to 120 yen, but that has also been some years ago. The only 100 yen machines we see around here tend to be privately owned/operated and are most typically filled with stuff from bargain-priced off-brand manufacturers which have no vending network of their own.

I have never seen a liter can of Coke or Pepsi in Japan. Could you post a photo of one, please?

I remember seeing the change in machines from 100 yen to 110 yen. I know for me it was all funny money at the time, so the additional 10yen never really bothered me, but I do remember my Japanese friends, counterparts, etc being very upset over the fact that they needed to carry around 10yen coins again and that is was not a good idea. Has the price increased to 150 per item yet?
two_heads_talking

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 03.16.2009 10:12 am

two_heads_talking wrote:I remember seeing the change in machines from 100 yen to 110 yen. I know for me it was all funny money at the time, so the additional 10yen never really bothered me, but I do remember my Japanese friends, counterparts, etc being very upset over the fact that they needed to carry around 10yen coins again and that is was not a good idea. Has the price increased to 150 per item yet?

Cans have been ¥120 for quite a few years now, but the large (500ml) PET bottles are ¥150.

Mike Cash wrote:I have never seen a liter can of Coke or Pepsi in Japan. Could you post a photo of one, please?

I've never seen one either and it seems very impractical to have a liter size can, since it's un-resealable and most Japanese don't tend to drink that much soda at one go. I'm guessing s/he is referring to the tall 500ml cans as opposed to the standard 350ml ones. (Or is that what you meant and my sarcasm meter is broken?)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby furrykef » Mon 03.16.2009 10:46 am

becki_kanou wrote:(Or is that what you meant and my sarcasm meter is broken?)

Perhaps he meant it to be applied either way depending on whether or not such cans actually exist. :mrgreen:
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby spin13 » Mon 03.16.2009 1:56 pm

becki_kanou wrote:I've never seen one either and it seems very impractical to have a liter size can, since it's un-resealable and most Japanese don't tend to drink that much soda at one go. I'm guessing s/he is referring to the tall 500ml cans as opposed to the standard 350ml ones.

The only company I've seen sell 1000mL cans is Asahi and only for their Super Dry. They have quite a few interesting sizes, though, which can be seen here.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 03.17.2009 5:49 am

becki_kanou wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:I have never seen a liter can of Coke or Pepsi in Japan. Could you post a photo of one, please?

I've never seen one either and it seems very impractical to have a liter size can, since it's un-resealable and most Japanese don't tend to drink that much soda at one go. I'm guessing s/he is referring to the tall 500ml cans as opposed to the standard 350ml ones. (Or is that what you meant and my sarcasm meter is broken?)

I also assume he meant the 500ml cans, but I figured it would be nicer/safer to give him the benefit of the doubt (and a chance to correct himself).

I remember when the only sizes available were the 250ml can and a one liter glass bottle.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 03.26.2009 12:19 am

3L mini barrel! I wanna know the guy/girl who just buys one for themselves and sips it at a party.
burstandbloom

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 03.26.2009 8:25 am

burstandbloom wrote:3L mini barrel! I wanna know the guy/girl who just buys one for themselves and sips it at a party.

well, you don't get it from a vending machine, so it would probably be bought specifically for a party.. and if anyone sips beer, I'd really wonder what was wrong with them..
two_heads_talking

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 03.26.2009 11:03 am

I've seen people drink beer out of a straw, talk about wondering whats wrong with them. Whats funny is then they say, "Oh, it gets you more drunk this way." How does that work out. Oh and I had a somewhat relevant question to the topic, what exactly does buying beer from a vending machine serve in Japan. Is it grab a can from the machine on the way home to drink it there, or can you walk around and drink it? Forgive me if that's a stupid question, I just don't know and was always curious why they had them.
burstandbloom

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan