Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Nihonjinron

Nihonjinron

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

Nihonjinron

Postby ZelosPower » Mon 12.22.2008 2:49 am

Is that thing (nihonjinron) still popular in japan? I mean do they still really think they are better than everybody?
ZelosPower
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri 11.21.2008 5:56 pm
Location: Canada
Native language: French
Gender: Male

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby AJBryant » Mon 12.22.2008 6:23 am

The word isn't "better."

It's "different."
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby Amathev » Sun 03.01.2009 12:19 pm

Not really in the sense of being more intelligent or so, but more in the sense that they're unique from everyone else.
User avatar
Amathev
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun 03.01.2009 11:55 am

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 03.01.2009 12:24 pm

Amathev wrote:Not really in the sense of being more intelligent or so, but more in the sense that they're unique from everyone else.


Welcome to TJP. Just as a note for the future, it's considered bad form to respond to a post that's several months old, particularly when your response is essentially the same as what someone else already posted.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby Amathev » Sun 03.01.2009 3:37 pm

Well, it was still on the first page of "History and Literature Discussions".
User avatar
Amathev
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun 03.01.2009 11:55 am

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby Sairana » Sun 03.01.2009 7:34 pm

Amathev wrote:Well, it was still on the first page of "History and Literature Discussions".


This isn't 'Gaia Online' or 'Something Awful' that has tons of users to move threads at lightning speed across all forums. Be aware of a thread's post date before you reply to something.
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 03.17.2009 7:29 pm

Sairana wrote:
Amathev wrote:Well, it was still on the first page of "History and Literature Discussions".


This isn't 'Gaia Online' or 'Something Awful' that has tons of users to move threads at lightning speed across all forums. Be aware of a thread's post date before you reply to something.

「Something Awful」は何ですか?
What is 'Something Awful'?
ILuvEire
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat 02.14.2009 11:39 pm
Location: オーステイン、テキサス州; Austin, Texas
Native language: English; 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby richvh » Tue 03.17.2009 7:47 pm

A forum. As you should have been able to tell from context.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6449
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby Sairana » Tue 03.17.2009 7:57 pm

ILuvEire wrote:What is 'Something Awful'?


It is not a happy place, but apparently a lot of people like it. I find it disgusting and appropriately named.
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.17.2009 9:00 pm

I live there on GBS -- I like the photoshop threadwork. Don't venture into any of the other areas -- they're scary.


Tony
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 03.18.2009 6:31 am

Haha, I nearly died when I read the 'cool move ...hit that bin' thread. Science fair SWAT @ SA was also a killer.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
User avatar
hyperconjugated
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri 05.06.2005 5:12 pm
Location: Finland
Native language: Finnish

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby wccrawford » Mon 03.23.2009 6:53 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Welcome to TJP. Just as a note for the future, it's considered bad form to respond to a post that's several months old, particularly when your response is essentially the same as what someone else already posted.


It's also considered bad form to scold other users when you aren't a moderator, too.

Personally, I have no problem with users replying to anything that's still on the first page of a forum... Or even the second. New users have a lot of enthusiasm and if you tell them they 'can't post' to what they want to talk about, they'll just go elsewhere. Every forum needs new users constantly to stay alive.
wccrawford
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon 05.12.2008 8:53 pm

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 03.23.2009 7:52 am

wccrawford wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Welcome to TJP. Just as a note for the future, it's considered bad form to respond to a post that's several months old, particularly when your response is essentially the same as what someone else already posted.


It's also considered bad form to scold other users when you aren't a moderator, too.

Personally, I have no problem with users replying to anything that's still on the first page of a forum... Or even the second. New users have a lot of enthusiasm and if you tell them they 'can't post' to what they want to talk about, they'll just go elsewhere. Every forum needs new users constantly to stay alive.


Gently and politely informing others of the particular etiquette of a forum of which one is a member (whether a moderator or not) is hardly bad form. Especially when coming from from user who has contributed so much to the forum. This particular forum has slightly harsher definitions of necro-posting than some other forums and it makes sense to make new users aware of that in a polite and friendly manner.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby AJBryant » Mon 03.23.2009 3:55 pm

If you'd like, I'll be happy to quote Chris' (Yudan Taiteki's) words as my own.
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Nihonjinron

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 03.23.2009 5:45 pm

To be fair to wccrawford, I am on other forums where it is actually a moddable violation to criticize another member for breaking forum rules if you are not a mod yourself. But I don't think that applies here, and I was trying to be as polite as possible.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Next

Return to History and Literature Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests