Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese MySpace Critique

Japanese MySpace Critique

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Japanese MySpace Critique

Postby Stone_Cold » Wed 03.18.2009 8:28 am

I've been using the American* English version of MySpace for quite some years now… until I learned that a Japanese version was available. I decided to switch my profile from the English version of MySpace over to the Japanese version of MySpace and take it for a spin. One of the main reasons why I switched my profile over was because I thought it would be another great way to surround myself with Japanese. I found myself hating the Japanese version of MySpace after only over a short period of time. The English version of MySpace is much better than the Japanese version of MySpace. I hated it for the reason that it’s not organized, many buttons don’t work, buttons are missing, malfunctioning links, absence of features (found on the American* English version of MySpace), and a large absence of Japan’s culture (Ex. friend section and music section). Sure it has some extras and a touch of Japanese culture. However, there was an inappropriate amount of American [etc...] dominance on the Japanese version of MySpace (Ex. music search** only showed American bands***… friend search… laugh). If I really needed to use a Japanese social network, it wouldn’t be MySpace. Nevertheless, there’re many other Japanese social networks to choose from.

* The word American used in this sentence was used as a figure of speech for the United States of America.
** The Japanese version of MySpace did display Japanese bands on the home page. Though, I couldn’t find popular [etc...] Japanese bands when I browsed genres section [etc…].
*** There were many other Bands that weren’t American* in my search results. I’m only using the term American* bands in that sentence as a figure of speech when referring to that they were not Japanese bands.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Japanese MySpace Critique

Postby keatonatron » Wed 03.18.2009 10:43 am

Myspace is not very popular in Japan. It's only been a "household name" for maybe 2 years or so. It's often viewed as "that site you can go to to get a bunch of western friends and find pages [in English which you can't read] about western bands". Hardly any Japanese people use it to connect with Japanese friends, from what I can tell.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Return to General off topic