Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Make me the most awesome uncle.

Make me the most awesome uncle.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Make me the most awesome uncle.

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 03.21.2009 9:20 pm

my 2nd grade 7 1/2 year old nephew is doing this project with his class.

http://www.pleasanton.k12.ca.us/valley_view/second/wolfe/stanley.html
http://www.pleasanton.k12.ca.us/valley_view/second/wolfe/stan/decoratestan.html

it would be totally awesome if some non-US people would draw a doll or send a postcard or something with Flat Stanley going around the world. PM me or email (zengargoyle at gmail dot com) if you would like to blow the mind of some second graders.

Our class has studied Geography as part of our Social Studies curriculum. We have also been learning how to write a letter in Language Arts. As an extension activity, we are asking that you take part in a little adventure. We promise it will be fun and entertaining, as well as a contribution to your friend or relatives education!

We read the book 'Flat Stanley', a story about a little boy whose bulletin board flattens him one night while he is sleeping. As a result of being flat, he finds all sorts of things that he is able to do. He can travel in and out of rooms, hang in a picture frame, and he can fold himself up inside an envelope and mail himself to visit friends and family in faraway places.

We are sending a Flat Stanley to you so that we can learn more about different places, landmarks, and people. Please send us a letter in return describing some of the activities you enjoyed with Stanley, and make him some new clothes. In the past, he has returned wearing clothing to match the climate and style of the place he visited. He has often brought back snapshots, postcards, maps, and many other goodies. Be creative! Your letter and information will be shared with the class upon its arrival.
zengargoyle

Re: Make me the most awesome uncle.

Postby coco » Sun 03.22.2009 9:58 pm

Zengargoyle-san, welcome back to TJP. :)

I am very happy that you are here.
Our JLPT chat sessions in 2007 were able to be conducted because you kindly provided the chat rooms. I'd like to say "thank you" again.

So I'd be glad if I can take a part in this project.
I have an acquaintance who is engaged in a child education. I suppose he will have an interest in this program but he is now taking his vacation, and will get back in the end of March.

Have they set a deadline for the program?
Last edited by coco on Mon 03.23.2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 03.22.2009 10:58 pm

どもありがとうございました、ココさん。

April 17 is the deadline.
PM or email me (zengargoyle at gmail dot com).
i'll print stuff and mail it if you don't want to do that yourself.
or if you do want to send a postcard or something, i'll give you the address of the teacher. (elementary school).

i'm going to ask her about computers and stuff, it would be awesome to send a movie or some sound files.
may be a bit too much for 2nd grade (7 year olds) though.
zengargoyle

Postby ss » Sun 03.22.2009 11:42 pm

Time passed by really fast, very happy to see Zen back to Pandion chat about a month ago.
And, welcome back to TJP forum!

I think this is a very interesting project. I’m not a seven years old kid though, I'd like to participate, and make you the most awesome uncle, uncle Zengargoyle. Image

Does your nephew know that our SIA stewardesses wear Sarong Kebaya?
I would like to introduce Stanley our Peranakan culture. Peranakan women are known as Nonya, and they wear Kebaya. Even a simple Kebaya fabric requires a lot of patience in embroidery and beadwork sewing. Since the deadline is on April 17, I will draw them instead. I hope Stanley doesn’t mind. Image

I will just upload the picture and PM over to you, okay? (give me 1 week's time)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 03.22.2009 11:59 pm

ありごとう。本当にココさんとSSさんは私の友だちです。m(._.)m
zengargoyle

Postby coco » Mon 03.23.2009 12:00 am

zengargoyle wrote:April 17 is the deadline.

Okay.

I'm going to tell him about the program when he gets back.
He runs classes for children who will take exams to enter private elementary schools. I think the idea that "he can fold himself up inside an envelope and mail himself to visit friends" will make his pupils excited.

He will probably take this as a drawing lesson and will appreciate this is good to cultivate children's creativity. So I assume he or I send postcards by air mail.

If he won't be able to spare time for this in his classes, I will design a nice clothes for "Flat Stanley" by myself to cultivate my artistic ability. :wink:

In either case, I will e-mail you when I get his reply.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 03.23.2009 12:34 am

i should say, the non-US thing was just a bad limitation... i figure that the class will have lots of US stuff, (letter was sent to family and friends). so don't take that seriously, i just sorta wanted 'around the world' instead of uncle in Los Angeles. if you have something cool that would make a 7 year old in 2nd grade think a bit, by all means feel free to join in. the template they sent me had Hawaii and Australia, so i think they want "outside" what the kids know already and see on TV and such.
zengargoyle

Postby chikara » Mon 03.23.2009 1:06 am

zengargoyle wrote:..... the template they sent me had Hawaii and Australia ......

The 50th and the 51st states of the US of A :lol:

I can send you something but it will have to be via email or PM as the post from down here is not that fast.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 03.30.2009 10:17 am

got official word from teacher, web stuff (images/doc files/etc) is fine... april 17 is soft date, in school until middle of june. anything is good...
zengargoyle

Return to General off topic