Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Weapons

Weapons

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Weapons

Postby welldone101 » Mon 03.09.2009 7:22 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
welldone101 wrote:
We call them man bags in America too. Or messenger bags. Or murses. ).

Speak for yourself, I don't them any of those things. That man bag crap is just queer if you ask me.

Well I "do them any" of those things, and nobody asked you.

Things I have to carry around: my signature (3 inch bamboo hanko), money (nobody accepts cards in this country, you usually carry around 400-1000 in cash), dictionary, J-text book, notebook, pencil, eraser, ipod, headphones, huge J-cell phone. Yes, you could put all that in your pockets. Wearing jeans you'd look like a stuffed pillow. Wearing a suit you'd look like a moron. Every single guy in this country carries around a little bag (something in between checkbook and briefcase size). Go to the east coast, you'll see a lot of guys using messenger bags to carry their stuff similarly; mostly because young people in big cities don't have or need cars as much, so you have to carry all your stuff around with you. But by all means, feel free to keep using a backpack and looking like an elementary schooler.

(my bag: http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/i ... age=family )
(your bag: http://timesonline.typepad.com/photos/u ... /62439.jpg )
welldone101

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Mon 03.09.2009 11:26 pm

Infidel wrote:That's the spirit! We'll make a proper American out of you yet.

Do I get a green card :)

welldone101 wrote:We call them man bags in America too. Or messenger bags. Or murses. But if you saw what guys carry around in Japan, you could only ever call it a purse. I shopped around here for months looking for one non-effeminite enough for me to wear and never found one. I had to buy one in the states and bring it back with me. They are useful in Japan since their dollar and five dollar bills are coins, so your coin pouch is usually huge and weighty, annoying having that in your pocket. Plus I always carry around my elec. dic. and my studying and points cards for literally everywhere, it adds up fast. Japanese guys usually use something like a bum-bag (US fanny pack) but I haven't been able to make the switch yet, they look too much like tool belts (you can use whatever meaning of the word 'tool' that works for you).

Never heard "murse" used before. I assume that is a contraction of "man purse". I have seen what guys carry around in Japan.

I know what you mean by the tool belt look. I wear my bum bag slung bandolier style with the pouch behind my right arm.

My wife tells me she is going to find me a more dressy "clutch bag" :oops:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 03.10.2009 11:46 am

Lol, hey, that's kinda funny.. Assume much? I live east coast and all those bags to me are just that. A shoulder bag. I for one, never used a backpack in elementary school, let alone any other time. I think calling a shoulder bag anything else is just plain odd/queer, that's it. If you'd like to take offense to that, it's your right, but there is no reason for it. Also, I live on the East Coast, and I see all sorts of bags. Some are nice leather satchels with handles and others are shoulder devices. Some are brief cases both hard and soft and I've even seen a few old school doctors bags and all that..

Hey if you need an organizer perhaps you should try the Buxton, it certainly sounds like your kinda bag. https://www.buxtonbag.tv/?cid=545425

by the way, unless you are carrying a weapon in said manpurse, let's get back to discussing weapons.. sheesh talk about derailing a thread , where's the daggone picture of a train busting through a wall?

http://blog.alexgalmeanu.com/wp-content ... ntparnasse
two_heads_talking

Postby richvh » Tue 03.10.2009 1:12 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:Lol, hey, that's kinda funny.. Assume much? I live east coast and all those bags to me are just that. A shoulder bag. I for one, never used a backpack in elementary school, let alone any other time.

You never used a backpack in the Army? Not even in boot camp? *boggle*
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 03.10.2009 1:18 pm

richvh wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:Lol, hey, that's kinda funny.. Assume much? I live east coast and all those bags to me are just that. A shoulder bag. I for one, never used a backpack in elementary school, let alone any other time.

You never used a backpack in the Army? Not even in boot camp? *boggle*

I think I repressed that memory in the back of my mind, as we never called it a backpack, just a rucksack or an alice pack (and even the assault pack).. so, yeah, we did use those, but I guarantee it wasn't one of those mickey mouse-hello kitty things posted earlier..

Even hiking we used Ruckpacks.. but those could also be called backpacks.. color me corrected..
two_heads_talking

Postby welldone101 » Tue 03.10.2009 7:21 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:by the way, unless you are carrying a weapon in said manpurse, let's get back to discussing weapons.. sheesh talk about derailing a thread

I am carrying a weapon in it. Go back and read my original contribution. :roll:
I'm not the one running around calling everything queer because he can't handle what somebody else labels something.

I went into a sports store yesterday and checked out the knife selection. They had a large leatherman with no blade in it. They also had a huge knife with about a 4 or 5" blade that was very obviously shaped like a cooking knife and intended for use while camping. Other than that it was all small little swiss army knives.
welldone101

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 03.26.2009 1:14 am

Talking a lot about knives and no ones mentioned Gerber? I don't know much about knives, but my friend has a few and I bought him one for his birthday. They seem like really good knives...

So to go back to the man bag thing (sorry) real quick, but as an "east coaster", what do you mean by queer? I think when using that word in the context of men carrying bags, that might come off, well offensive.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 03.26.2009 8:24 am

burstandbloom wrote:
So to go back to the man bag thing (sorry) real quick, but as an "east coaster", what do you mean by queer? I think when using that word in the context of men carrying bags, that might come off, well offensive.

I was pretty specific when I said queer/odd.. If anyone too any kind of offense from that, it was their own self who was finding fault. In my day, the word queer was used for anything odd. Again, find fault if you'd like, none was intended.
two_heads_talking

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 03.26.2009 10:23 am

I'm not personally offended, and I wasn't judging you or anything but again given the context it seemed a little off putting I know that the word "queer" was used a lot as just something "odd" but I just don't see anyone use it that way any more. Guess I'm too young.
burstandbloom

Postby AJBryant » Thu 03.26.2009 10:23 am

What a queer thing to be offended over.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Thu 03.26.2009 12:51 pm

I don't find it offensive either, but I admit that I did do a bit of a double-take when I first read it. It's very easily misunderstood the way it was written, especially considering the context of the discussion, as well as words like "gay" often being used as an insult these days.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 03.26.2009 11:21 pm

AJBryant wrote:What a queer thing to be offended over.

What an unconventional, curious, freakish, eccentric, weird thing to be offended at perhaps. I guess that was my point. But its over, it really didn't offend me, but I wouldn't say it was a queer thing to be offended about unless you know nothing of the current connotation of that word.
burstandbloom

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.27.2009 8:52 am

burstandbloom wrote:
AJBryant wrote:What a queer thing to be offended over.

What an unconventional, curious, freakish, eccentric, weird thing to be offended at perhaps. I guess that was my point. But its over, it really didn't offend me, but I wouldn't say it was a queer thing to be offended about unless you know nothing of the current connotation of that word.

Oh, I'd say Tony knows and I'd also say he was being facetious as well as pushing buttons.. You see, the English language can be very colorful, but all it takes is one person to get all upset and turn it into a very distasteful thing..
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Fri 03.27.2009 1:47 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:You see, the English language can be very colorful

Oh, great. Now you're bringing race into it, too.

:twisted:
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.27.2009 4:10 pm

AJBryant wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:You see, the English language can be very colorful

Oh, great. Now you're bringing race into it, too.

:twisted:

LOL, NOPE!!! Just color... :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan