Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Wedding Celebrants

Wedding Celebrants

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Wedding Celebrants

Postby bobbywafre » Fri 06.13.2008 6:05 pm

-----

Another question:
Assuming the Japanese couple celebrating their wedding are not Christians; do they perceive their special day as nothing more than Cosplay or do the religious elements (eg the prayer / blessing) have some significance?
bobbywafre

Postby Gnosis Essene » Fri 03.27.2009 6:38 am

bobbywafre wrote:Wedding celebrations are regarded as an ordinary service business in Japan.

Most wedding agencies like to recruit foreigners to conduct the Christian-style events. However, these paid employees are required to have either:

a) a permanent residency visa
b) a spouse of Japanese visa
c) an extension of activities permitted on another visa, or
d) a religious activities visa

Why is an Entertainer Visa or Humanities Visa not acceptable?

I contacted my local Immigration Offices (Osaka and Kobe) who couldn't answer the question and they suggested I contact the Tokyo office ---- who in turn sent me back to my local office....

Does anyone know?

---------------------

Excerpt / important INFO:

For Foreigners in Japan:

In June this column looked at the booming demand for foreign celebrants and preachers at Christian weddings. But a new law will crack down on foreigners playing preachers. The new law is clear: "Anyone engaging in any activity involving the management of business or involving remuneration other than that permitted by his status of residence without obtaining permission may be subject to punishment." That punishment could be a \300,000 fine and/or three years in prison and expulsion from Japan. Up to now, those expelled could return to Japan in one year. The new law makes it five.
The problem comes when a foreigner engages in any work for pay that is not included in his visa provisions. It means that if the word shukyo (religious mission) is not printed on your alien registration card you cannot conduct a religious, sacred activity such as officiating at Christian weddings. They are 100% religious sacraments - not cultural - with two hymns, a sermon, two prayers, 15 Bible verses, a solemn proclamation and a benediction. What they must do is leave Japan, go on to an approved Bible school or Christian college, and come back as a bona fide missionary. Another possible solution is to begin a correspondence course by email or regular mail from an accredited seminary.

What is the difference between a minister, a preacher and a missionary?
A minister is an ordained, bona fide professional person of the Christian church, qualified to administrate a church and officiate at weddings, funerals, baptisms and communion.
Police and immigration officials will be checking on chapels and churches periodically.

It is illegal to officiate at a Christian wedding without a proper visa !
Gnosis Essene
Gnosis Essene

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.27.2009 12:33 pm

bobbywafre wrote:I'm trying to find out why a Humanities Visa or Entertainers Visa is not acceptable for something which is considered as an 'acting role' by many in the industry. Does anyone know what Gov't department I should try and approach for an answer?

Following this thread, it looks like the immigration department couldn't give you an answer, and so Coco suggested you ask a company that does that type of hiring, and then you were told that it's the immigration department, and not the companies, that sets the rules for visas. :x One big circle....

I happen to know that there are immigration laws that specify which type of work visa can be used for which type of job. Each type has different restrictions and allowances.

I think the answer to your question, and the reason you haven't found an answer yet, is this:

The lawmakers who decided which type of visa applies to which job decided that since wedding ceremonies (celebrations?) are traditionally religious events, those on an entertainer visa (i.e. rock stars, ballerinas, crique du soleil performers, TV personalities, etc.) can not be employed by a company to provide wedding services.

Although in reality foreigners performing these services are essentially just performers, the lawmakers had good intentions and hoped weddings would be performed by well-trained clergy, and not foreigners who just want to live in Japan and so get a job at a wedding company because they have no skills that will get them a visa anywhere else.

The reason why you couldn't get an answer from the governmental agencies is simply the fact that the people working at the desk at the immigration office aren't the ones who make the laws. The laws were all passed many years ago by government officials, and the reasons behind the rules aren't taught to all the clerks working at the bottom level.

Try walking into your local police department and asking the receptionist why driving 15mph over the speed limit warrants a $60 fine while driving 35mph over the speed limit will get you an $85 fine. She'll probably refer you to someone else who won't know the answer either. :wink:

UPDATE: I just realized something after writing this long post. The OP stated that
paid employees are required to have either:

a) a permanent residency visa
b) a spouse of Japanese visa
c) an extension of activities permitted on another visa, or
d) a religious activities visa

Why is an Entertainer Visa or Humanities Visa not acceptable?

I think you're looking at it backwards.

When you get a work visa, it only allows you to work for the one company that applied for the visa. If you want to work for any other company, then you have to also apply for permission to do so (i.e. option C above). So, if you come into Japan for a job and get a Humanities visa, and then get permission to work at the wedding place, that would satisfy option C. If you came into Japan specifically for the wedding job, they would provide a visa for you that is not "Entertainer" or "Humanities".

So really the only way you could get into the position of having an Entertainer or Humanities visa and want to work at the wedding place is if you came to Japan for some other job and hadn't yet applied for special permission to do the wedding job also.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.27.2009 4:13 pm

I know my visa for being in Japan was a special one. Since I didn't have a job and all I was doing was proselytizing. I just don't happen to remember what the specifics were.
two_heads_talking

Postby coco » Fri 03.27.2009 8:19 pm

Keatさん、OPの日付みて。 :wink:

Gnosis Essene wrote:The new law is clear: "Anyone engaging in any activity involving the management of business or involving remuneration other than that permitted by his status of residence without obtaining permission may be subject to punishment." That punishment could be a \300,000 fine and/or three years in prison and expulsion from Japan. Up to now, those expelled could return to Japan in one year. The new law makes it five.

これ現行法のように思いますが、いつの改正案でしょうか。
http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/pub ... df/588.pdf

資格外活動の過料が少し違うようですが。
http://www.moj.go.jp/NYUKAN/nyukan21.html
http://www.moj.go.jp/ENGLISH/information/lfpa-01.html
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby keatonatron » Sat 03.28.2009 7:17 am

coco wrote:Keatさん、OPの日付みて。 :wink:

Alright, very funny, who necroposted?? :x
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 03.30.2009 8:20 am

keatonatron wrote:
coco wrote:Keatさん、OPの日付みて。 :wink:

Alright, very funny, who necroposted?? :x

gnosis essence... but I think the posts following actually added more insight.. Meh, I'm ok with it.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 06.04.2009 7:01 am

bobbywafre wrote:Uhhh..yeah.. I'm not looking for a job -- perhaps I should have made that clear. I'm trying to find out why a Humanities Visa or Entertainers Visa is not acceptable for something which is considered as an 'acting role' by many in the industry. Does anyone know what Gov't department I should try and approach for an answer?

Sounds like you should contact the Ministry of Idle Curiosity.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.04.2009 7:40 pm

annexa wrote:What wedding gift should I buy for my sister on her wedding? My sister is getting married in a month from now and I want to buy her a wedding gift. I want it to be something really special, even if it's expensive, especially since there's a chance I might not be able to attend the wedding(unfortunately). Any one has any suggestions?

The traditional wedding gift in japan is money, in a denomination that is not easily divisible by two (50,000 yen, 30,000 yen, etc). Family usually gives 30,000 to 50,000 yen.

Mike:

Did you mispost in the wrong thread? ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 06.05.2009 10:01 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Mike:

Did you mispost in the wrong thread? ;)

I don't think so. Would that remark have fit better elsewhere?
Mike Cash

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 06.06.2009 8:39 pm

Sorry, for some reason I couldn't find the quote you were using (no idea why, now that I look it's right up there.. )

I guess I was focusing more on the current post/question, and didn't even see the rest of the thread.
Just chalk it up to a brain fart on my end. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby keatonatron » Sat 06.06.2009 10:53 pm

"I'm a celebrant!"

"Dude, that must suck! So like, can you not even have a girlfriend, or....?"
keatonatron

Postby Sairana » Sat 06.13.2009 4:58 am

marisiya wrote:What does merchant navy mean in matrimonial profiles in occupation column? The person has mentioned as done B.A. and not working. then what does it mean?

42?
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 06.14.2009 2:19 am

marisiya wrote:What does merchant navy mean in matrimonial profiles in occupation column?

It means, "You're gonna hate Thursdays."
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.15.2009 10:25 am

marisiya wrote:What does merchant navy mean in matrimonial profiles in occupation column? The person has mentioned as done B.A. and not working. then what does it mean?

hmmm, try doing a google search for (dun dun dun..... mysterious evil music) Merchant Navy... Oh my, there is so much to learn.
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan