Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Someone to practice with...

Someone to practice with...

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Someone to practice with...

Postby Astral Abraxas » Sat 08.02.2008 3:18 pm

I got 3-4 people so far now. We all are using the same textbooks (genki) but we are all also on different levels. Which isn't really a big problem because if you are ahead of everyone or a few, helping the people behind you is a good review. If you are behind well you got people ahead of you to ask questions and practice with as well.

The most difficult thing is setting up times because of time zone issues and their own life things such as jobs etc. So it's hard to get them in a group chat study. It works fine studying individually with each of them though.

clay wrote:This is something that would nice to organize though.

For example if the site had a calendar of meeting times, people could 'meet' in the chat rooms or forums, or groups for specific purposes. I'm going to give this some serious thought while we are building the upgraded site. Obviously having someone to practice with/ask questions with is something a lot of people want.

That's basically what you're going to need to do. Get a calender or a schedule saying "every week on these days at these times there will be a study session in the chat rooms". If it was on the website somewhere, enough people who can show up during those times are eventually going to. The chat rooms could then be divided up into skill level and/or learning materials that they have been using (once enough people start showing up). It really depends on how many people you get showing up. I just don't see anyone learning efficiently with 15+ people chatting randomly unless they were intermediate or above.

It would be nice to do it with learning materials which is impossible or at least very difficult but still. If you could say during the session sometime that the following sections are to be done for the next session for review. That would give each session of people something to talk about. Questions they have about what they learned in their lessons and comparing answers to their exercises.

It seems as though it's going to have to be an intermediate above thing if it's going to be successful. Probably best to keep it simple and have people just randomly talking/asking questions on all skill levels in a single chat room.
Astral Abraxas

Postby clay » Sat 08.02.2008 7:29 pm

That's basically what you're going to need to do. Get a calender or a schedule saying "every week on these days at these times there will be a study session in the chat rooms"

We have a calendar here: http://www.thejapanesepage.com/event and you can add an 'event' by clicking on 'add content' and then 'add event.' It isn't obvious which is probably why not many people have used it. While I'm working on the upgrade, I'll try to make this more mainstream and easy to use. :)

Having a Genki Study group would be very nice. A lot of people use the Genki textbook. But you are right about time zones. Weekends may be the best time. Have you found the best time for everyone to meet?
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Astral Abraxas » Sun 08.03.2008 5:00 pm

It's looking like only 2 out of 3 of the others will be able to get on a schedule that works. The third guy lives in Malaysia and has a job that conflicts with any scheduling for his convenience. I'm trying to think of how frequent to gather people together. If it's too far apart progress will be slow and if it's too frequent people won't be able to absorb all of the information coming at them.

Saturday and Sunday every week at 6pm->whenever(est) is probably best for them.

Saturday can be review of the last lesson and beginning the new lesson.
Sunday being reviewing the last lesson exercises and doing the new ones.

Then a week to pretty much get it in your head.

We'll have to see how much time people have and how dedicated they are.

Once more people show up maybe divide it into sections like: People in range of lesson 1-4 here 5-8 here and 9-12 here. You also can't have a section that has less than 3 people in it or it defeats the purpose. I say for the time being not to worry about it too much. I just don't want to make it out anymore complicated than it has to be.

I may have another person I'm not too sure, if so two are on lesson 5, one on lesson 10 and I'm finishing up lesson 6.
Astral Abraxas

Postby Zakari » Sat 10.25.2008 12:21 pm

Hey, I'll join. I have the Genki textbook also, though im only just finishing with section 3 (im a n00b). just PM me with ur im address and ill add u. (my display name is my username here in katakana)
Zakari

Postby Philemon » Mon 10.27.2008 9:41 pm

can i be include to? i like to pratice too...
Philemon

Postby ellimist3 » Sat 03.21.2009 10:54 am

Hi,
I'm new to this site and found your post. I've only learnt basic Japanese but I would like to practice it as well so that I don't forget it. Can I be included as well"?
ellimist3

Native language: English;Mandarin

Postby Fenderboy » Wed 03.25.2009 8:02 pm

I'm looking for someone to practice with again, pm me if interested and I'll give you my email.
-Fender
Fenderboy

Postby Disco » Sun 03.29.2009 1:11 pm

Practice with me, I am on chapter 8 of Genki, and being self-taught, I would like other people to practice with. Apparently Genki 2 is even still considered beginner stuff, so I need to hurry and get this stuff in my head! JLPT!JLPT! I have an AIM and a MSN, which those two should be click-able to the right. I'm on anywhere from 3 pm to 9 pm (pacific US time, アメリカに住んでいます). *Also, I tried to use the chat room feature here, but it gave me a big 'ol ACCESS DENIED!. Problem? or is it because i am a junior member?
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Native language: English

Postby astaroth » Sun 03.29.2009 1:59 pm

Sorry I'm not studying on Genki, but about the chat room: you have to create a new account.
I had the same problem, until I read the side margin notes ... :?
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Fenderboy » Tue 03.31.2009 4:20 pm

i'm self taught and still a beginner. All i know is hiragana, working on katakana and some basic vocab, but if anyone wants to practice with me, just let me know.
-Fender
Fenderboy

Postby Deuter » Wed 04.01.2009 9:44 am

I'm also looking for a study buddy. I only know hiragana as well, and I'm working on katakana and some basic kanji...PM me if anyone's looking as well!

Would prefer MSN.
Deuter

Postby clay » Wed 04.01.2009 11:14 am

We have a chatroom (web-based or software based) now: http://thejapanesepage.com/chat

(There was an earlier post with the wrong link)
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Wobby » Tue 04.14.2009 7:32 am

Hey,

If anyone's still available, I could really use a practice buddy, too.
I was an exchange in Osaka, but it's been over 4 months since I last had the chance to conversate in Japanese.
置き忘れた幸せを探しつずけて...
Wobby

Native language: Finnish

Postby Fenderboy » Thu 04.16.2009 11:09 am

Wobby wrote:Hey,

If anyone's still available, I could really use a practice buddy, too.
I was an exchange in Osaka, but it's been over 4 months since I last had the chance to conversate in Japanese.

sure, send me a pm and we can communicate through pm's
-Fender
Fenderboy

Postby 8bitkoopa » Sun 04.19.2009 4:57 pm

i'd love to practice with anyone who's interested. just pm me :wink:
8bitkoopa

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)