Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 自動販売機- Vending Machines

自動販売機- Vending Machines

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: 自動販売機- Vending Machines

Postby spin13 » Thu 03.26.2009 11:13 am

burstandbloom wrote:I've seen people drink beer out of a straw, talk about wondering whats wrong with them. Whats funny is then they say, "Oh, it gets you more drunk this way."

Straws are an invaluable tool at Halloween parties if you're wearing a full-face mask.
burstandbloom wrote:How does that work out. Oh and I had a somewhat relevant question to the topic, what exactly does buying beer from a vending machine serve in Japan. Is it grab a can from the machine on the way home to drink it there, or can you walk around and drink it?

There are no (rarely enforced?) open container laws in Japan, so drinking on the go is no problem. Drinking on the trains is frowned upon but, depending on the time of day and the sobriety of those around you, less so than talking on a cellphone. That said, I have a feeling beer vending machines are a remnant from days when there wasn't a 24-hour convenience store every 100 meters.

-Eric
Last edited by spin13 on Thu 03.26.2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Thu 03.26.2009 12:53 pm

burstandbloom wrote:Is it grab a can from the machine on the way home to drink it there, or can you walk around and drink it?

I seem to recall reading that it's poor etiquette to walk around while drink (or eating) anything in Japan, but I haven't actually been there, so I have no idea about such rules in practice.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 03.26.2009 1:46 pm

furrykef wrote:
burstandbloom wrote:Is it grab a can from the machine on the way home to drink it there, or can you walk around and drink it?

I seem to recall reading that it's poor etiquette to walk around while drink (or eating) anything in Japan, but I haven't actually been there, so I have no idea about such rules in practice.

- Kef

Furry, generally you are correct. However, as with any general rule, there are times when it doesn't apply.. Obviously you won't see anyone chowing down on a bowl of raman while walking, but you will find them drinking an ice coffee or hot coffee can from the vending machine at train stations or nearby taxi venues.. (well, that was the case in the late 80's anyways.)
two_heads_talking

Postby spin13 » Thu 03.26.2009 7:06 pm

furrykef wrote:I seem to recall reading that it's poor etiquette to walk around while drink (or eating) anything in Japan, but I haven't actually been there, so I have no idea about such rules in practice.

In my neighborhood there are numerous shops that sell food ready to eat, and one of the liquor stores sells draft beer in plastic cups on the sidewalk. Most people choose to stand outside near the shop, or sit if chairs have been provided, to eat their food, but it's not unusual to see folks walking down the same street snacking on メンチかつ or コロッケ or drinking their beer. Doing the same in a different place might draw more angry stares but as most things in Japan, it's all ケースバイケース.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby OitaFish » Fri 03.27.2009 8:49 am

burstandbloom wrote: what exactly does buying beer from a vending machine serve in Japan

I have found them to be most convenient in hotels that do not have minibars. Just walk down to the corner by the elevator and buy a few beers out of the vending machine. Although its frowned upon in most hotels -- if you are quick, you can even do it in your pajamas. I'm not sure I'd try that at a convenience store.
OitaFish

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.27.2009 8:56 am

OitaFish wrote: if you are quick, you can even do it in your pajamas. I'm not sure I'd try that at a convenience store.

What's wrong with going to a convenience store in your pajamas? As long as your backside or other unmentionables aren't haning out, who cares? lol
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.27.2009 12:18 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
OitaFish wrote: if you are quick, you can even do it in your pajamas. I'm not sure I'd try that at a convenience store.

What's wrong with going to a convenience store in your pajamas?

Have you seen his pajamas??? :o
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.27.2009 4:11 pm

keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

What's wrong with going to a convenience store in your pajamas?

Have you seen his pajamas??? :o

Do I have to answer that? lol :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 03.28.2009 2:15 am

spin13 wrote:Drinking on the trains is frowned upon....

Perhaps you should clarify that by saying commuter trains.

There are trains on which beer is sold, after all, and one could hardly say it is frowned upon on those trains.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 03.28.2009 6:12 am

Mike Cash wrote:
spin13 wrote:Drinking on the trains is frowned upon....

Perhaps you should clarify that by saying commuter trains.

There are trains on which beer is sold, after all, and one could hardly say it is frowned upon on those trains.

Although even on commuter trains it's not uncommon to see salarymen unwinding after work with a small can of beer or one of those Ozeki One-cups, frowned upon or not.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby OitaFish » Sat 03.28.2009 7:32 am

two_heads_talking wrote:

What's wrong with going to a convenience store in your pajamas? As long as your backside or other unmentionables aren't haning out, who cares? lol

Truth be told -- I don't see anything wrong with it but my wife gets embarrassed when I take the garbage out in my pajamas. I'm not sure how she would take it if our neighbors told her they saw me at Everyone's in my PJ's. I'm just trying to save her the embarrassment.
OitaFish

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 03.30.2009 8:19 am

OitaFish wrote:
Truth be told -- I don't see anything wrong with it but my wife gets embarrassed when I take the garbage out in my pajamas. I'm not sure how she would take it if our neighbors told her they saw me at Everyone's in my PJ's. I'm just trying to save her the embarrassment.

Are your pajamas footed or do they have a flap in the back? How else would they be so noticeable.?
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 04.06.2009 8:35 am

furrykef wrote:

- Kef

That old chestnut, still passed around lovingly from foreigner-to-foreigner, is pretty outdated and obsolete.

But in honor of all the foreigners who keep telling it to each other, when I saw a middle-aged salaryman walking down the sidewalk and eating in Tokyo the other day I said in his general direction, "Don't you know that's rude?"....and for good measure I frowned at him.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 04.06.2009 9:06 am

I remember hearing that walking and drinking or eating was rude, even back in the late 80's.. When I saw my first Nihonjin doing it, I figured it was ok for me to do it.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby clay » Mon 04.06.2009 11:42 am

Upon arriving in Fukui for the first time (1998), the teacher in charge of getting me setup insisted we stop and drink the cola I had just bought even though we were in quite a hurry. I was very thirsty, but had I known about the faux pas, I would have used more gaman.

But he does seem to be in the minority these days.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan