Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Where to order Japanese books (books in Japanese)

Where to order Japanese books (books in Japanese)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Where to order Japanese books (books in Japanese)

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 04.02.2009 12:04 am

Greetings all! Long time no see! (It's that time of year again - the one where I rise from the dead and pop my head back in here :D)

Recently I've been looking for books in Japanese. In particular, I'm looking for 道ありき by 三浦 綾子 and いま、会いにゆきます by 市川 拓司 . I checked the obvious places, such as Amazon Japan, but shipping is outrageous! It would cost me $30 to ship a $5 book! So, I'm looking for alternatives. Are there any US distributors of Japanese books with cheaper shipping? Or perhaps somewhere with discounted shipping?
CajunCoder

Re: Where to order Japanese books (books in Japanese)

Postby furrykef » Thu 04.02.2009 12:26 am

CajunCoder wrote:I checked the obvious places, such as Amazon Japan, but shipping is outrageous! It would cost me $30 to ship a $5 book!

What I do if I have to order from amazon.co.jp is wait until I have to buy maybe $100 worth of stuff and just buy it all at once. That way the shipping relative to the cost of each item becomes much smaller.

Anyway, you can try YesAsia. I haven't looked there very much, so I have no idea what its selection is like, but maybe they'll have something useful.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby keatonatron » Thu 04.02.2009 1:58 am

The best might be to find a local Japanese bookstore.

I know in Seattle there is a Kinokuniya that has a good selection of books in Japanese.

I don't know about any other cities; maybe look in your local phone book? (modern translation: search on google maps :lol: )
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby jimbreen » Thu 04.02.2009 2:13 am

CajunCoder wrote: I checked the obvious places, such as Amazon Japan, but shipping is outrageous! It would cost me $30 to ship a $5 book! So, I'm looking for alternatives.

I have used オンライン書店ビーケーワン (http://www.bk1.jp/) to buy books from Japan. Their postage charges are reasonable compared with Amazon's.

You have to set up an account, which means navigating a heap of WWW pages entirely in Japanese, but the result is worth it.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby monkeykoder » Thu 04.02.2009 4:04 am

Steps:
1: Find major city (San Francisco works well)
2: Drive there
3: Find "Japan Town" (note the fact that street signs are now written in two languages that you kind of understand)
4: Go to book store and buy books
5: Repeat as necessary...

(I don't know what to do if you don't live within 100 miles of a city at least the size of San Francisco...)
(Note to self get someone else to drive me to San Francisco (Amtrak=EXPENSIVE). (never drive a car with a manual transmission in San Francisco))
(Note to self this post might not be useful for the OP apologise)
monkeykoder

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Thu 04.02.2009 10:56 am

How about Sasuga Books? Prices are marked up from Japan (to cover their shipping costs), but shipping is reasonable and fairly rapid, and their books are well packed.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby yukamina » Thu 04.02.2009 12:54 pm

If you're searching for a Japanese title on YesAsia, make sure you're on the Japanese version. The English version won't recognize the text.
It has at least one of the books you're looking for:
http://www.yesasia.com/us/%E9%81%93%E3% ... /info.html
yukamina

Postby HarakoMeshi » Thu 04.02.2009 1:48 pm

I order from Kinokuniya's online bookstore sometimes.
See how they compare on prices.

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/indexohb.cgi?AREA=03
HarakoMeshi

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 04.09.2009 11:19 pm

Thanks everyone. I finally went with bk1 and used SAL economy air mail - it was only $10/pound! However, I don't get a tracking number, and it will take anywhere between 1 week and 2 months to get my package in :lol:
CajunCoder

Postby jimbreen » Thu 04.09.2009 11:27 pm

CajunCoder wrote:Thanks everyone. I finally went with bk1 and used SAL economy air mail - it was only $10/pound! However, I don't get a tracking number, and it will take anywhere between 1 week and 2 months to get my package in :lol:

They take about a week to get things to Aus.

Jim
jimbreen

Return to Japanese General Discussion