Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 10,000 hours of japanese listening

10,000 hours of japanese listening

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: 10,000 hours of japanese listening

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 04.12.2009 11:49 am

monkeykoder wrote:I'll agree you can't learn Japanese just by listening to it. However it is absolutely necessary to listen to it to learn it.

Of course, but the common suggestion to just listen to a lot of TV and j-pop is kind of like suggesting that to learn piano, you should just sit down and bang on random keys as much as possible, because you'll never learn the play the piano if you don't practice hitting keys a lot.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Sun 04.12.2009 1:25 pm

Sure you can learn Japanese without listening to it. But your skills with the spoken language will be absolute crap until you do. ;) But it's not necessary if all you want to do is, say, play old video games and read novels/manga.

I strongly recommend practicing the spoken language from day one if you have any interest at all in it, though. Learning the written language first and then trying to master the spoken language is a recipe for frustration... I know, 'cause that's what happened to me with Spanish. ^^;

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby nukemarine » Tue 04.14.2009 2:11 am

The problem with many replies to all these suggestions to help learn Japanese (or any language) is the replier's ASSUMPTION that this suggestion is the ONLY thing one needs to do.

No, you don't ONLY learn to kanji, you don't ONLY watch TV dramas or anime, you don't ONLY read manga, you don't ONLY speak/listen to people, you don't ONLY study grammar. It's the amalgam of these things that lead to learning Japanese.

So in the future, should I post a suggestion that one can put a sticky note in Japanese above the phone that translate "Answer this and talk to people far away" don't respond assuming that that's not the only thing I'm suggesting one should do to learn Japanese?

To the original poster: Yes, listening to 10,000 hours of native Japanese will be ultra beneficial to achieving native level fluency in understanding spoken Japanese. Reading 40,000 pages of Japanese text will also add to achieving native level fluency in written Japanese.
nukemarine

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 04.14.2009 8:44 am

nukemarine wrote:The problem with many replies to all these suggestions to help learn Japanese (or any language) is the replier's ASSUMPTION that this suggestion is the ONLY thing one needs to do.

No, you don't ONLY learn to kanji, you don't ONLY watch TV dramas or anime, you don't ONLY read manga, you don't ONLY speak/listen to people, you don't ONLY study grammar. It's the amalgam of these things that lead to learning Japanese.

So in the future, should I post a suggestion that one can put a sticky note in Japanese above the phone that translate "Answer this and talk to people far away" don't respond assuming that that's not the only thing I'm suggesting one should do to learn Japanese?

The problem with your reply is that perhaps you are assuming that assumption as well. When I read these comments, I don't think that's the only thing one needs to do. perhaps, as you read them, that's what you get, but I usually give the responder the benefit of the doubt.
two_heads_talking

Postby kentaku_sama » Tue 04.14.2009 2:00 pm

Sure you can learn Japanese without listening to it. But your skills with the spoken language will be absolute crap until you do. But it's not necessary if all you want to do is, say, play old video games and read novels/manga.

I strongly recommend practicing the spoken language from day one if you have any interest at all in it, though. Learning the written language first and then trying to master the spoken language is a recipe for frustration... I know, 'cause that's what happened to me with Spanish. ^^;

What?!!! あんたは何を言ったか?! No I didn't say that. I meant listening to it all the time will probably get you used to the natives, but you have to practice speaking it, and learn verbs and grammar through studying and reading too!. I meant is was an asset to your learning. ^^ ALso I Find to help with speaking practice: If you have no one to practice with, go about your day making up sentences that you KNOW are correct, and say them to yourself. I used to do this by translating sentences I make up in english then said them in japanese, but it's actually better to make it up as you say the sentence, this way your becoming more quick to speaking the sentence or phrase. Treating it like your native language. ^_^
kentaku_sama

Postby furrykef » Tue 04.14.2009 3:51 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:What?!!! あんたは何を言ったか?! No I didn't say that.

Um, nobody said you said that. :P
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 04.14.2009 4:03 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:あんたは何を言ったか?!

This is very rude Japanese.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby furrykef » Tue 04.14.2009 4:28 pm

Heh, I noticed that, but shrugged it off 'cause I know the spirit in which it was probably intended... ^^; But yeah, it's generally a good idea not to be cavalier with Japanese usage here. For instance, natives sometimes read this forum and might not know (or understand) that you're just imitating the way people talk in anime/manga or whatever. Also, many of the non-natives don't particularly care to be addressed in such a manner, since we're supposed to be talking the way real Japanese people would talk. How they do talk can vary from place to place, but this place is typically a です/ます forum.

I don't think anyone's mad at you or anything. I just think you ought to be more careful is all. ^^;

- Kef
furrykef

Postby kentaku_sama » Tue 04.14.2009 4:34 pm

This is very rude Japanese

Sorry, I didn't know :( Would it be better to say: あなたは何処が言ひましたか? ¥
ごめんあさい :(

I was trying to be standered casual, butt I guess saying anta while also using a causal verb form made it more like:
"What the freak'n heck did you just say?" SORRY I won't use あんた anymore is it less polite than おまえ or きみ?

Heh, I noticed that, but shrugged it off 'cause I know the spirit in which it was probably intended... ^^; But yeah, it's generally a good idea not to be cavalier with Japanese usage here. For instance, natives sometimes read this forum and might not know (or understand) that you're just imitating the way people talk in anime/manga or whatever. Also, many of the non-natives don't particularly care to be addressed in such a manner, since we're supposed to be talking the way real Japanese people would talk. How they do talk can vary from place to place, but this place is typically a です/ます forum.

I don't think anyone's mad at you or anything. I just think you ought to be more careful is all. ^^;

- Kef

Yeah, thanks for the info. That talk was probably best used with close friends who made a big mistake. Like if they sarcasticly gave an insult like: you always die, there's no challenge (when playing a war video game) and they respond with あんたは何を言ったか? softly and sarcaticly but saying to people you don't know well is insultive without joke.
kentaku_sama

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 04.14.2009 4:58 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:
This is very rude Japanese

Sorry, I didn't know :( Would it be better to say: あなたは何処が言ひましたか?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say so I don't know.

I was trying to be standered casual, butt I guess saying anta while also using a causal verb form made it more like:
"What the freak'n heck did you just say?" SORRY I won't use あんた anymore is it less polite than おまえ or きみ?

The main problem is not the あなた but the か after a plain form verb.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby kentaku_sama » Tue 04.14.2009 5:00 pm

I accidently typed 何処 I meant 何
kentaku_sama

Postby nukemarine » Wed 04.15.2009 1:37 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
nukemarine wrote:The problem with many replies to all these suggestions to help learn Japanese (or any language) is the replier's ASSUMPTION that this suggestion is the ONLY thing one needs to do.

The problem with your reply is that perhaps you are assuming that assumption as well. When I read these comments, I don't think that's the only thing one needs to do. perhaps, as you read them, that's what you get, but I usually give the responder the benefit of the doubt.

Notice how you took a comment that referred to no one in particular (many replies), and then stuck yourself into the situation, then end as if that covers every other poster past, present and future. I was not talking about you in particular so if you don't think your situation applies how does that invalidate or create a problem with my statement?

Yes, individually you may not have been an issue. However, I've read many a suggestion where some poster (which may or may not be you) replies in a way that reads that the original suggestion was a "Do this and only this to achieve XX".
nukemarine

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 04.16.2009 10:00 am

nukemarine wrote:Notice how you took a comment that referred to no one in particular (many replies), and then stuck yourself into the situation, then end as if that covers every other poster past, present and future. I was not talking about you in particular so if you don't think your situation applies how does that invalidate or create a problem with my statement?

Yes, individually you may not have been an issue. However, I've read many a suggestion where some poster (which may or may not be you) replies in a way that reads that the original suggestion was a "Do this and only this to achieve XX".

I know exactly what I did. It was intentional and it was nonetheless a valid comment. Regardless of whether or not you appreciated or liked it. In no way did I say you were referring to me, I did however say what it was I understanding from your statement. Perhaps, rather than using the conclusive 'you' in a sentence not directed at anyone in specific, you should use the ambiguous 'one' and then it won't come across as finger pointing..
two_heads_talking

Postby くそだ » Sat 04.18.2009 4:20 pm

I think that if you cut out English in 99% of your life, listen to 10,000 hours of J-dramas, movies, and music, and use an SRS to 'learn' sentences then it is common sense that you will be pretty proficient in casually spoken Japanese and have good insight and 'on-the-spot' conversational skills.
brosよりhoes
くそだ

Postby BetterSense » Sat 07.11.2009 3:00 am

I think that if you cut out English in 99% of your life, listen to 10,000 hours of J-dramas, movies, and music, and use an SRS to 'learn' sentences then it is common sense that you will be pretty proficient in casually spoken Japanese and have good insight and 'on-the-spot' conversational skills.

"I'm smellin' a lot of 'if' comin' off of this plan..."

http://www.clunybrown.com/wp-content/up ... 0-crop.jpg
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion